Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I got my 03 a few months ago, the guy told me the car rumbles when you accelerate quickly, and it does, about 1750 rpm. But if you approach it slowly it's fine. He said a tranny shop couldn't figure it out. I did all my new owner fluid services and maybe it helped, IDK but it's still there. And FWIW all those fluids were fine. The transmission fluid was dirty, but nothing crazy.

This weekend I slapped on my all terrains in preparation for snow and ski season. Then I drive in to work this morning...no grinding. I had the opportunity to accelerate rather quickly up a wet driveway and only then did it grind. Otherwise, I accelerated from flat stops hard without grinding, something that would have certainly caused this noise. I've always noticed it from the front of the car, and MAYBE the driver's wheel. Could be my imagination, but...could it be a bad wheel speed sensor instead? It improved with better traction tires.

thoughts?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird. Did you come to a conclusion? I noticed that on hills, starting from a stop, it's just horrendous. Sounds like the damn things breaking. Which makes me think some kind of traction sensor. Wouldn't transmission grind more often? Or am I backwards on that

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same issue with mine. The tech that inspected things during my recent full front brake replacement said something about the CV axle being the cause. I just accelerate slowly and it seems happy. I save the full throttle hyjinx for my 2 wheel outings.

Per Autoblog.com:

3. Excessive vibration while driving

Another symptom of a bad CV axle is excessive vibrations from the axle while driving. If a CV joint or axle shaft is damaged in any way that affects its balance while rotating, it will cause the shaft to vibrate excessively while operating the vehicle. The vibrations may oscillate, or become more pronounced as vehicle speed increases. Excessive vibration from failing CV shafts can interfere with handling and ride characteristics, and the overall safety and comfort of the vehicle. Usually the CV axle will need to be replaced if it is damaged enough to cause vibrations.

CV axles serve as the final link between the engine and the wheels. They serve the important function of transferring the torque from the drivetrain to the vehicle's wheels in order to move the vehicle. For this reason, if you suspect that one or more of your CV axle shafts may be having a problem, you'll want to take a closer look at it.

Jay

·
Registered
21 Posts
I notice it if I get on the throttle hard from takeoff.If I gently start moving and "preload" the drive train, then I can get on it without the noise. Sounds similar to your experience in my non-professional opinion.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that sounds exactly like it. On steep hills however, from a stop, even if I ease into it, it grinds like a son of a gun. I'm gonna have to inspect this CV joint. Is there another way to truly confirm it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I barely know which end of the wrench to hold, so I can give you no more info or advice. Just figuring it out as I go...haha...

Once I pay off the brake job bill, I intend to go back and have them do the remaining recommended work. Until then, slow and easy it is.

Driving this glorious lunch box on wheels does not make me want to jam on it, anyway. I put on the classical music channel and go naturally slow and easy.

A long way from my first ride, the '79 Z-28 with Metallica in the cassette deck...

Jay

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha fair enough. It doesn't affect my driving ability so whatever. It's also my "junk" drive to work rig. My wife's subaru and my 4runner take our top priority. I got this CRV to work on my 4runner slowly

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I have been told that the trans has aplate inside and ita most likely the plat that is slipping one first gear. Took off the axles and checked the teeth awhile back and everything was good. So it looks like live with it or replace the trans cause it's about the same as just doing that one disk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 CRV with 220k miles. Think I was having the same issue for the last half year-- vibration/rumble/grinding on hard acceleration from a stop. Thought it was the motor mounts and decided to just ignore the problem and drive less aggressively. FWIW, last weekend, I had the transmission drained and refilled, and now the problem is gone.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did all the trans fluid drain and fill 2 or 3 times upon purchase and even the old stuff that came out was pretty and clean. I've not addressed this issue yet as I've got bigger fish to fry. I shorted the interior lights accidentally and it overheated recently due to an AC condenser fan crapping out and the radiator cracking and draining out.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Two things could cause the grinding issue...

Not changing the rear diff fluid on the CRV 2 will eventually give you a grinding sound, not dissimilar to a wheel bearing failing sound, and if your acceleration is heavy enough to activate the rear diff drive mechanism, it could be the clutch plates inside the diff grinding...

Other option, have you looked at the clearance on the inside of the wheel arches?? If you have over sized tyres, the edges of the tyres can and do make contact with the inner edges of the arches... the interiors on the UK mk2 models are plastic and can be easily cut away to allow more access for the larger tyres...

And, on harsh acceleration, the weight transfer can cause the tyres to make contact with the plastic arch edges.

TTFN

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay so if it is anything like my grinding I had horriable grinding only from a dead stop. Then it would go away. And on hills it was way worst.

The fix is very simple and didnt cost hundreds to fix. Lower transmission mounts front and rear.

I got the whole set of 4 for engine and trans for like $60 on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
Okay so if it is anything like my grinding I had horriable grinding only from a dead stop. Then it would go away. And on hills it was way worst.

The fix is very simple and didnt cost hundreds to fix. Lower transmission mounts front and rear.

I got the whole set of 4 for engine and trans for like $60 on Amazon.
yup had it happen on the old 2003 the grinding under a heavy load sounded expensive but was just the trans. mount

1 - 18 of 18 Posts