Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

I replaced my 6 yr old oem battery about 2months ago. I bought a 'green label' that starts with 'Inter' from a big wholesaler (I don't know if I'm allow to spell out these names.)
The next morning when I start the car, it made the grinding noise. As if i'm starting the car while it's on. It only lasted a second or two. But I think it's lasting longer, due to colder weather. Eventually it started up fine.
I went to a auto store that does free battery/starting system testing. The tech said everything looks good from the test result. However he said that my starter is going bad.
Have any one have the same issue as I am?

Thanks, and happy holidays.

/Cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've changed the battery at least twice with Autozone and Advanced Auto batteries without issue.
I can't recall a battery would cause a grinding noise...
Perhaps you could post a video or audio on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,205 Posts
Like the car starts but the starter doesn't disengage fast enough?
Only happens in cold weather?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,649 Posts
Make sure the wire terminals are tight on the new battery.

I've installed several batteries (more than one brand) where the Honda terminal clamps are drawn down as tight as they will go, but the wires are still loose (they can be spun around by hand).

In some cases, a tight-when-new terminal became looser as time went on. I check them all the time now as part of my under-hood inspections.

The fix is to use battery terminal shims. You can either buy them at auto-parts stores, or make them out of aluminum beer can material. (It's more fun to drink the beer...LOL)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The starter is most likely going bad and should be replaced. It is only a coincidence that this occurred after the battery change out. This is one of those .... s*** happens kind of things. Things fail at random times for no explanation. Don't be stranded!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I double checked the terminals to make sure it's tight. No movement when I wiggle it by hands. I definitely will redo and make sure it's tight. (It is simple enough to do any time.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like the car starts but the starter doesn't disengage fast enough?
Only happens in cold weather?
Yes, its only happen this season. I changed the battery in anticipation for the winter cold start. The car makes that noise before it starts up. Maybe as other indicated that starter can't engage to start up the car.
I read in other posts that one person "bump" the starter. (I believe he turn the key to on, then release it before the car start. So it would make the noise but not start the car. ) That's what I experienced at first after I changed the battery. It grinded. I got startled. So it didn't start. Then it started up normally right after. So i didn't think much of it.
I'll try to make a recording of it sometime.

Happy new year everyone!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy New Year!
This is a short recording of the noise this morning.
Hopefully, this will give you some idea of what I'm talking about.
I redo the battery terminal today. Same sound.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Really kinda hard to discern in the video. Almost like the starter is trying to engage properly. I could be wrong, as it is really hard to hear in the video. I listened to it several times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read it people had similar problem. Some were newer, 2013 I believe.
I believe it's the starter misbehaving. What got me questioning is the fact that it starts up normally when the engine is "hot". (After I driven more than a mile....)
And it started up fine when I "bump" it (as other had indicated that is what they did.)
If something else is the cause... Only way to know is take it in to test it out.
Any one have any idea how much it cost to replace the starter in the NYC Area?
Can it be DIY for beginner?
Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took my crv to a shop to check out.
Replaced the starter.
(For what it's worth, because I asked about the price before. The mechanic quoted 220 for part and 100+ for time\labor.
However paid 460 total because "it was harder than he thought.")

1 - 14 of 14 Posts