Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Recently picked up a 2001 CR-V, great car. Been driving it for a few days but just today I started getting massive shocks every time I touch the driver's door to close it. I'm thinking I might have a loose ground, does anyone know of where I can find a list of all the chassis grounds? Is it in the service manual?

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hello-

Recently picked up a 2001 CR-V, great car. Been driving it for a few days but just today I started getting massive shocks every time I touch the driver's door to close it. I'm thinking I might have a loose ground, does anyone know of where I can find a list of all the chassis grounds? Is it in the service manual?

Thanks
Where abouts do you live? It seems everyone around here are getting lots of static shocks lately, we're in southern Ontario. Might be the weather.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
The shocks are static electricity. I don't believe that grounding straps in your CRV would make any difference to you receiving those shocks. It is most likely caused by your seat covers. To help eliminate those annoying shocks, you could try holding onto a metal part of the door (ie:top of door) 'before' getting totally off the seat and continue doing so until you are completely off the seat.
Lets us know what happens. :)
You could also Google for that problem and possible solutions. If you find a good one, please post back.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
^^ X2 on what Buffalo mentioned. We get the "shocks" this time of year also.

Different models have different cloth on the seats, some are more prone to this effect than others. Your clothes have an effect also. (Quit wearing those polyester suits, LOL)

Chassis grounds don't have anything to do with this problem. What you need is a conductive strap touching the ground, bypassing the rubber tires.

http://www.lessemf.com/ground.html

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hello-

Thanks
You might be on to something. Was anything done before this happened? I agree with the other guys in regards about the static shocks. Because of the dryness & the weather but sometimes it is something else. It could be the alternator going bad. Try this remove the diode trio plug @ the back of the alternator & then drive it around see if you still get shocks. But before performing this test be sure that the battery is fully charged. Do you also get shocks even driving the vehicle for short distance? Let us know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. ODO = 102,000. I haven't driven since this occured but maybe you are all right about it being weather + clothes. I doubt it's just the seats, since I have driven it without getting shocked, but maybe the seat fabric + whatever pants I was wearing caused it. It happened 4 or 5 times in a row that night and it was quite a zap. I mean I've been zapped by ignition systems while an engine is running and this was pretty close to that!

I'll report back next time I drive, or maybe keep a log of the conditions if the problem becomes intermittent.

edit: I like the metal dragging idea but I dont see myself installing that any time soon unless it is a last resort.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
About gettinf zapped hard sounds like something going on with alternator. I would suggest to disconnect the diode trio see what happens. Let us know.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I really doubt that the alternator could zap you without causing major computer and electrical problems.
Never heard of an alternator shocking anyone when exiting a vehicle.
Then again. I suppose stranger things have happened.
Remember, even that static electricity shock (unseen spark)can cause gasoline to ignite while fueling. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm... I'm thinking it was just a fluke. Clothes plus weather. I drove today no zap, phew.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, I'm still getting shocked, but here is the deal: I only get shocked when I drive with my lights on. Anytime I drive at night I can expect to get zapped getting out of the car. IDK, I think it's a wiring issue. Going to investigate soon..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts