Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've really enjoyed cruising through the forums here, so much great info - and everyone seems to nice!!

My husband and I spent all day yesteday looking at crossovers and have settled on a CR-V. (although I have to admit that it was/is a very near thing with the Nissan Rogue... but price is a factor...) I have fallen in love with a Green Tea CR-V LX 2WD - everything I want in a new car comes standard!

I have to admit, I'm a little confused about the new car process though. Is it possible (or a good idea) to purchase a not-used 2007 CR-V in November of 2007? We test drove a 2008 last night, and the price is in our budget. But I imagine that there's going to be some fantastic sales in the next month or so (maybe even for Veteran's Day here in the US) on the remaining 2007 models. (I assume "remaining 2007 models" means 2007s that we not purchased before the 2008s rolled out.)

Thoughts? My understanding of the 2007 vs 2008 is that on the base model (which is what we're looking at) there really isn't much difference (if any.) Is that right? If so, I'd love to spend a couple thousand less on basically the same vehicle. (on edit, I've found the spreadsheets of features for the 07 and '08 and see that for the LX, the features are the same. Hooray!)

Any thoughts or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm excited to be getting a new car after nearly 9 years in my Nissan Altima, but uncertainty if I'm going about this correctly is making me a total stressball! :eek:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have to admit, I'm a little confused about the new car process though. Is it possible (or a good idea) to purchase a not-used 2007 CR-V in November of 2007? We test drove a 2008 last night, and the price is in our budget. But I imagine that there's going to be some fantastic sales in the next month or so (maybe even for Veteran's Day here in the US) on the remaining 2007 models. (I assume "remaining 2007 models" means 2007s that we not purchased before the 2008s rolled out.)

Any thoughts or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm excited to be getting a new car after nearly 9 years in my Nissan Altima, but uncertainty if I'm going about this correctly is making me a total stressball! :eek:
Excellent choice! But you expected us to say that, didn't you.;)

If you keep a car a long time (5 to 10 years on average), the model year makes less and less difference. Ten years from now a 2007 will be worth virtually the same as a 2008. If the price difference (between the 07 and 08) actually ends up being $2K, the 2007 is much more cost effective. They are both new cars mechanically.

So save the $2K, put some of it back into accessories, enjoy the accessories for ten years and end up with a car that is worth what the 08 would be worth without the goodies.

Congrats on your new car and hang around the forum. Lots of good info.:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
i had the same issue when buying mine I was going to go for an 07 rather than an 08... my only problem was that I wanted black EX with the black interior and there were no 07s in my area with those specifications so i went with the 08, because they had an 08. But if you can find the color you like in an 07 go for it esp if you can save a bundle of money, but honestly i got my 08 for a pretty good deal not that far off of what they were asking for 07s..... Good Luck on your future purchase and good choice with the CR-V i was also looking at all the CUV's and the crv just popped out to me.... ahhh i'm in love hehe.. i love my V!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with tsmithvt, go with the 2007. The only change that I am aware of from 2007 vs 2008 deals with the EX-L package. I have a 2007 EX-L and the difference with the 2008 EX-L is that it now comes with an upgraded stereo, which was an option in 2007, and 8 way power adjustable with lumbar support front seat (not available in 2007). Since you are not looking for the EX-L package, I don't believe that there are any difference between the 2007 and 2008 LX package. Take the savings and use it for accessories if desired. For accessories, buy over the internet not the dealer for the best price.

Congratulations on when you buy and pick-up your new CRV.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My husband and I spent all day yesteday looking at crossovers and have settled on a CR-V. (although I have to admit that it was/is a very near thing with the Nissan Rogue... but price is a factor...) I have fallen in love with a Green Tea CR-V LX 2WD - everything I want in a new car comes standard!
I don't follow you. '...but price is a factor'...? The Rogue costs less than the CR-V.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The 2007's will probably not be on much of a sale. The 2007 V has set HUGE sales records. The Rogue may cost less, initially, but Nissan's resale has not been as good, historically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes, you can get a 2007 in late 2007

Hi - I live in the Los Angeles area, and just went through the same process. Was really digging on the Nissan Rogue, but could not resist the much lower prices and sweeter package that you get on a 2007 CR-V.
The dealer I went to had five 2007 left on the lot. Just ask. They are still lower priced than the 2008, though not by much. But every dollar counts. So on Sunday (two days ago) I went and got the V. It had only 10 miles on it (so that counts as brand new!)

I love my new 2007 CR-V and I do not regret my purchase one bit! Honda ROCKS! Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought an o7 EX-L. Had the same issues to think about, but they had the color I liked in an o7, the 08 was a bit more, about 800 bucks.

Your warranty will start from the day you buy it, so that is NOT an issue, so go with the 07 save some money. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
98 Posts
go for the 2007, you'll save money and at the same time, there's no difference with the 2008 except EX-L models. Good luck on your future purchase. See you around!

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I were in your position, I would go for the 07. As you already mentioned, they are practically the same car anyway. You can get the 07 for a much better deal since they are trying to clear them out to make room for the 08s. Plus, it may come in handy when you go to sell it.
Since that car has been sitting on the lot for a year instead of being driven you will have a brand new car at the end of the year with maybe 1500 miles on it. A year from now you may have 12,000mi on it, which by car standards would be divided over 2yrs. As opposed to an 08 that one year from now would have 12,000mi on it from just one yr.
When you sell the car they divide the number of miles by the number of years since the car was manufactured, providing a ratio of mi/yr. Which, to some, including me will give an idea to the next buyer how hard the car was driven & how often. A lower mi/yr ratio is good for resale value.
FWIW

·
Registered
264 Posts
If I were in your position, I would go for the 07. As you already mentioned, they are practically the same car anyway. You can get the 07 for a much better deal since they are trying to clear them out to make room for the 08s. Plus, it may come in handy when you go to sell it.
Since that car has been sitting on the lot for a year instead of being driven you will have a brand new car at the end of the year with maybe 1500 miles on it. A year from now you may have 12,000mi on it, which by car standards would be divided over 2yrs. As opposed to an 08 that one year from now would have 12,000mi on it from just one yr.
When you sell the car they divide the number of miles by the number of years since the car was manufactured, providing a ratio of mi/yr. Which, to some, including me will give an idea to the next buyer how hard the car was driven & how often. A lower mi/yr ratio is good for resale value.
FWIW
good thinking there!! that is true!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't follow you. '...but price is a factor'...? The Rogue costs less than the CR-V.
You're right, the S model of the Rogue starts cheaper than the CR-V. But good luck finding an S. No one in Las Vegas has them. And after a second round of test drives, we've come to the decision that the Rogue just isn't as great a fit for us as the CR-V.

Plus, the Nissan dealers aren't in any mood to make a deal on the Rogues, as fast as they're flying off the lot. The Honda dealers don't need to make a deal on the CR-V, but they're willing to talk about it at least. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts