Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2019 CR-V EX with less than 300 miles on the clock. I've been following these threads closely, particularly with the oil dilution issues so many people have been plagued with. I was hesitant to purchase my vehicle based on all that I read, but I was assured that the fix was in place for the 2019 model year. And it's a Honda for Pete's sake, an engine company. I also still own a 2011 Honda Accord, and a 1994 Acura Integra GS-R that I purchased brand new. I have a family of Honda owners who very much enjoy their vehicles and love the brand. Heck, I just bought a new Honda mower last summer. Which brings me here...

I was driving the car home two nights ago, from a 10 minute trip into town. As I was pulling away from a stop sign within my development, something very alarming happened. It's very hilly where I live, and the car was struggling to get up the hill, all the while blaring a loud whistling, siren sound. If I let off the gas, it quieted down. But anything under load instantly fired up the same whistling sound. I was in complete shock. The car was doing no more than 40 mph on relaxed back roads before this happened. I've never owned a turbocharged car before (this is my 14th new car), but my immediate thought was "I just blew the turbo on a brand new CR-V driving about 10 mph". Is that even possible? Could it be a vacuum leak on one of the hoses??

I checked the oil level, and the reading was perfect, minus a faint whiff of fuel. Nothing unusual stood out to me under the hood. I did read where Civic owners with the 1.5T engine had A/C compressor issues, so I was hopeful that might be the problem. But turning off the A/C and fan didn't erase the problem. Revving the engine at idle does not produce any abnormal sounds, but I wouldn't think that to be the case until the turbo kicked in under load and acceleration. And strangely enough, there are no warning messages in the cluster, nor the ominous glow of the check engine light.

So before I have the car towed to the dealer, I was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Again, I'm in complete shock that this would even happen with a brand new Honda. I just went out a few minutes ago for another little test drive. As soon as I accelerate, there is no power/boost, and the wailing whistle sound seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I don't want to press my luck any further and cause more damage. I'm just hoping it's not something catastrophic like a turbo failure on an engine with 300 miles. I've never experienced anything like this in all my years of driving, and it had to be my first turbocharged car. I would've happily checked off the box for the 2.4L engine if it was offered in any other trim besides the LX.

I appreciate any feedback or insight you can provide before I have it flatbed away!

Rob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could simply be a leak or gap in the boost plumbing feeding the pressurized air to the intake manifold. Since it's so new, it may have just been improperly connected up at the factory. I hope it is a simple fix for you. I've had a number of turbos back to '85 and never had one have a problem.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
It could simply be “who knows what”......as stated, let the shop figure it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback guys, it just happened, and I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to schedule a service appointment. I was just looking for some peace of mind in the meantime. Hard to fathom having to flatbed a brand new vehicle to the dealer. Stuff happens I know, but that's a first for me. I've owned an awful lot of cars over the years (still do), but turbo engines are uncharted territory for me. Quite the initiation. I'm thinking I like my 6 cylinder engines better, unstressed and smooth. The CR-V is a big lug to push around with a tiny 1.5 liter engine. To think it basically matches the output of the old 2.4L engine, but needs more complexity and forced induction to get to the same place. I'd trade the instant torque for long-term reliability any day. Naturally aspirated 4 cylinders were Honda's bread and butter, and I think they're in over their head with this new engine design. Time will tell, but it's not looking too favorable. Toyota was smart to not shove a turbo 4 into the redesigned RAV4.

And I never thought it had anything to do with oil dilution, certainly not with 300 miles on the engine. That being said, I sure as hell hope I don't get saddled with that issue next.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Agreed that the most likely explanation is just an intake pipe that is loose.

As a side-note, it's a fallacy that turbocharged engines are very complicated. Other than the turbo unit itself, moving parts consist of a couple simple pneumatic valves and a couple additional sensors. And turbochargers are pretty reliable by this point, and techniques for designing an engine around them are not new ground; they've been around for decades and are ubiquitous even on equipment that is expected to last much longer than a passenger car engine. And the particular turbo used in the L15B7, the Mitsubishi TD03, is over a decade old and installed in a wide variety of equipment.

Most of the complexity is in the software, not the mechanics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could simply be a leak or gap in the boost plumbing feeding the pressurized air to the intake manifold. Since it's so new, it may have just been improperly connected up at the factory. I hope it is a simple fix for you. I've had a number of turbos back to '85 and never had one have a problem.
Thanks Jim and sirwired! That puts my mind at ease quite a bit. I'm very thankful that it happened within a mile of my house, and I was able to limp it back to the driveway. I can't imagine if it happened out on the highway. That definitely would not have been good for the engine at that load.

I'll report back when I get the diagnosis for those who may be interested...🍻

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
I agree with jm256, a hose in the inlet side probably wasn't properly secured and blew off. A very minor issue. You might even be able to fix it yourself (cold engine only).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Had an intercooler pipe come off of my Cobalt. It sounds like a jet engine it resting under your feet.

That's my guess as well.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not sure how the turbo plumbing is arranged, but if the presumed leak is allowing unfiltered air into engine cylinders it’s a very bad thing. One thing I think is sure: the air filter box is non turbo-pressurized so any downstream leak would seem to create the unfiltered air possibility.

So, OP I’d suggest making sure you get a good and plausible explanation on this point from your dealer. Even if the immediate fix is an easy one, assessing long-term consequences may be more difficult. And you know how most dealers will react to such a question...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Not sure how the turbo plumbing is arranged, but if the presumed leak is allowing unfiltered air into engine cylinders it’s a very bad thing. One thing I think is sure: the air filter box is non turbo-pressurized so any downstream leak would seem to create the unfiltered air possibility.

So, OP I’d suggest making sure you get a good and plausible explanation on this point from your dealer. Even if the immediate fix is an easy one, assessing long-term consequences may be more difficult. And you know how most dealers will react to such a question...
There shouldn't be long term damage unless he is flooring it.

Just baby it to the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my opinion Honda is now producing very low quality CRV’s. My 2019 EXL has been nothing but trouble from the day I purchased it. In addition to the mechanical and electrical problems there is a 3/8 incl gap on both sides of the car where the front fender meets the roof pillar. After 50 years of Honda’s I will never purchase another

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey rdevine, I am with you on the Honda brand loyalty. I started buying Honda cars new in 1994. Our 2018 CRV Touring model is my 6th new Honda and we have enjoyed the ride, versatility, MPG, etc.
However, I have been a bit nervous since buying this CRV with all of the oil/gas mixing issues I have heard about. Fortunately we don’t live in a cold climate (Phoenix), so my concern there is somewhat alleviated.
Your post, however, did make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up a bit. We received a letter from Honda in July/August extending the warranty on 2017-18 models out to 6 years unlimited miles on the engine due to an issue of “Whirling Noise from Engine” and up to 8 years, or 80k mi on the ECU or TCU updates. I am attaching a document in which I clipped the campaign numbers and explanation. Maybe they will extend this to 2019 models? I hope this helps!
Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate everyone's well wishes. I am having the vehicle towed to the dealership first thing in the morning. I wouldn't even attempt to drive it over at this point, for risk of furthering damaging the engine. In addition to this engine issue, there are already two active recalls for my car. One of them is an update to the PGM-FI Evaporative Emission System Software. The other is for some issue in the steering wheel which could lead to a damaged harness and a possible faulty airbag deployment, for which they don't have the parts available. To say this is all discouraging is an understatement. This platform is now in its 3rd year of production (soon to be 4th year), and they should have ironed out all the bugs long ago. Again, my car has a whopping 289 miles on the odometer. This is not the Honda I grew up with. And the idea of having to bring the car back yet again for the other recall is infuriating.

I will certainly report back everything once I pick the car up. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey rdevine, I am with you on the Honda brand loyalty. I started buying Honda cars new in 1994. Our 2018 CRV Touring model is my 6th new Honda and we have enjoyed the ride, versatility, MPG, etc.
However, I have been a bit nervous since buying this CRV with all of the oil/gas mixing issues I have heard about. Fortunately we don’t live in a cold climate (Phoenix), so my concern there is somewhat alleviated.
Your post, however, did make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up a bit. We received a letter from Honda in July/August extending the warranty on 2017-18 models out to 6 years unlimited miles on the engine due to an issue of “Whirling Noise from Engine” and up to 8 years, or 80k mi on the ECU or TCU updates. I am attaching a document in which I clipped the campaign numbers and explanation. Maybe they will extend this to 2019 models? I hope this helps!
Ross
Thanks for attaching this document Ross! I will read through it for sure, and save it for future issues that may arise. To think I bought a HONDA to avoid all of this in the first place. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear about this. It sounds like a warranty issue. I know most new vehicles don't need the old school break in period, anymore, since the break in is usually done at the factory, but it's still recommended to be easy on it for the first couple of oil changes. The shop will figure it out for ya :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts