Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
One of them is an update to the PGM-FI Evaporative Emission System Software. The other is for some issue in the steering wheel which could lead to a damaged harness and a possible faulty airbag deployment, for which they don't have the parts available. To say this is all discouraging is an understatement. This platform is now in its 3rd year of production (soon to be 4th year), and they should have ironed out all the bugs long ago. Again, my car has a whopping 289 miles on the odometer. This is not the Honda I grew up with. And the idea of having to bring the car back yet again for the other recall is infuriating.
Both of those issues under recall, are limited and specific to a range of gen5 CRVs... so they cropped up in well after production started 3 years ago. In both cases, they are production bugs that popped and that did not appear before. The software one really should not have happened in my view, but it demonstrates that they do continue to revise software as the gen5 production moves through time.. and as such bugs do escape sometimes. In the case of the steering wheel recall, that is actually bad parts with improper deburring on them from the 3rd party supplier, that Honda did not detect until some escaped into the field.

Your apparent issue with the Turbo... you know what.. defects happen, in both parts and workmanship... even for Honda.

Frustrating I know... but literally every new vehicle produced, regardless of brand, is expected to have one or more defects or recalls during the warranty period. I encourage you to look at this differently..... see it has Honda being responsive with owners and actually recalling or TSBing affected vehicles for remedy, rather then just ignoring them and leaving them in the field. Heck, the defective first design shifter button is a small matter, which Honda could easily brush off on owners, but instead.. they have redesigned a $11 dollar part and are in fact asking dealers to replace them in ALL CRVs that come in for routine service or maintenance... instead of only responding via warranty on buttons that fail. I see that as Honda being proactive in addressing defects that escape their production lines.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Not saying much about your dealer that delivered a new car to you with outstanding recalls. Should not have happened.
Depends.

The software update (which is a TSB, not a recall) should have been applied to all vehicles on the dealer lot prior to sale.. for vehicles after the software was released (April of this year). It is possible it was applied, and that the notification from Honda to the owner is redundant. Honda DID put a stop sale on CRVs on the dealer lots until the software fix was applied for VINs where it was applicable.

For the steering wheel recall.. that totally depends on parts availability.. as parts are rolling out in phases from Honda. So this one does not surprise me, and the dealer may in fact not yet have parts for the owners vehicle. This was a limited number of VINs, and Honda did NOT put a stop sale on them until the recall is applied.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I appreciate everyone's well wishes. I am having the vehicle towed to the dealership first thing in the morning. I wouldn't even attempt to drive it over at this point, for risk of furthering damaging the engine. In addition to this engine issue, there are already two active recalls for my car. One of them is an update to the PGM-FI Evaporative Emission System Software. The other is for some issue in the steering wheel which could lead to a damaged harness and a possible faulty airbag deployment, for which they don't have the parts available. To say this is all discouraging is an understatement. This platform is now in its 3rd year of production (soon to be 4th year), and they should have ironed out all the bugs long ago. Again, my car has a whopping 289 miles on the odometer. This is not the Honda I grew up with. And the idea of having to bring the car back yet again for the other recall is infuriating.

I will certainly report back everything once I pick the car up. Wish me luck!!
Stuff happens. When I bought my used 2013 Fusion from the dealer in 2015, the first night I took it home, rodent(s) chewed up the main wiring harness...so you can imagine my surprise and frustration that next morning when it wouldn't start. I thought the dealer sold me a crappy car. They replaced the main harness and all chewed wiring under their "30 day/5,000 mile whatever" warranty they sold and never had a mechanical problem after that. Traded it in on the CR-V. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry guys, I never posted the diagnosis and resolution. As many here already suspected, it was indeed a disconnected turbo inlet pipe from the intercooler. They went in and tightened the clamp, and all is well again. I still can't imagine that's a common thing to have happen on a brand new car. One of the service advisors said he saw it happen only one other time.

On a side note, I was given a 2019 Honda Accord as a loaner. I drove it for almost 200 miles. Same engine in that car, but damn if that doesn't feel like a rocket ship in comparison to the CR-V application. It actually felt like a completely different motor, granted no heavy SUV structure or AWD, but still. I was impressed with that car for sure. Felt rock solid, stable, and handled exceptionally well for a rather large sedan. I imagine the 2.0T is silly fun. If only that could be offered in the CR-V, Acura be damned.

Thanks for all the well wishes. 🍻

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sorry guys, I never posted the diagnosis and resolution. As many here already suspected, it was indeed a disconnected turbo inlet pipe from the intercooler. They went in and tightened the clamp, and all is well again. I still can't imagine that's a common thing to have happen on a brand new car. One of the service advisors said he saw it happen only one other time.

On a side note, I was given a 2019 Honda Accord as a loaner. I drove it for almost 200 miles. Same engine in that car, but damn if that doesn't feel like a rocket ship in comparison to the CR-V application. It actually felt like a completely different motor, granted no heavy SUV structure or AWD, but still. I was impressed with that car for sure. Felt rock solid, stable, and handled exceptionally well for a rather large sedan. I imagine the 2.0T is silly fun. If only that could be offered in the CR-V, Acura be damned.

Glad it was something that simple to resolve :)

And yeah.. the current generation Accords are sweet to drive. The 1.5T is tuned sleightly differently in the Accord, but I think it is more about the Accord having a different electronic throttle setup compared to the CRV.. not the actual engine itself. The suspension and handling on the Accord are indeed superb.... a real step up from the prior generation. The Accord also has a much better infotainment system and instrument cluster and feature set too. But I expect that since it is a newer design then the CRV. I'm sure the next gen CRV will leap frog the Accords infotainment and instrument cluster. The only downside to the curent generation Accord is it sits low to the ground and it is much more difficult to get in and out of then a CRV... even though the Accord automatically moves the seat back in the higher trim levels when you open the door, to make it easier to enter/exit.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Good to know nobody or nothing was "gutted"

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
OP is probably from UK, it's common slang there.
It's also common verbiage on the home remodel/home improvement TV shows.

"This kitchen needs to be gutted" "It's a total gut job"

(yes, I have been known to watch a few..they cost me a lot of money)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It's also common verbiage on the home remodel/home improvement TV shows.

"This kitchen needs to be gutted" "It's a total gut job"

(yes, I have been known to watch a few..they cost me a lot of money)
As an owner of a home that was built less than a year ago, I don't need to gut anything at this point, but I still watch the home remodeling shows for ideas. :D

21 - 34 of 34 Posts