Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 CRV – 20K miles – Original Battery
Started...drove a few miles...car sat for 1 hour and then wouldn’t start…no sounds of trying to start. Got into car…no lights on dash and other screens noticed the power seat could not be moved. Jump started and has been good for 4 days. Checked out battery and alternator….good. If battery was dead, which was the indication, why were the clock and radio stations not affected? Any ideas?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Moved to Gen4 area. :giggle:

++++++++++

Could be a loose/corroded large battery cable, or an intermittent shorted battery cell (had that once on another car).

At 4 years old on the OEM battery, replacing that might be your first action. There are loads of topics here of batteries that supposedly tested GOOD but caused issues.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Look for a FRESH (less than 6 months old) battery, the more CCAs the better. Brand doesn't matter much, there are only 3 or 4 producers in the USA.

On some generations of V, owners fit bigger batteries, sometimes to do that you need to buy a different battery tray (or cut yours).

Honda has used minimally-sized batteries for years. Less weight = better EPA gas mileage. That said, regular battery maintenance will prolong the life of OEM sized batteries. Minimum spring & fall, check the electrolyte and tightness of terminals.

We have seen 5+ years on our Hondas.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
541 Posts
If you want high cca, I would go for an AGM battery but they are $$$. I have one in my venza. Much higher CCA then OEM. If you want cheap, costco has decent battery for cheap.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
If you short-trip your vehicle, AGM batteries are not the best, as they take more time to recharge.

If you want to save weight, try a Lithium Ion battery. They are small, but your wallet will definitely be lightened!

traditional lead-acid is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
If battery was dead, which was the indication, why were the clock and radio stations not affected? Any ideas?
Because "dead battery" in a motor vehicle is a relative term.

You could have a shorted cell, which would drop the battery voltage to around 10 vdc, and many of the electronic systems will still work.. because they are 5V systems and there is a down regulator between the battery and the electronic system.

Your battery could still show good voltage levels, but when asked to crank the engine over, it lacks the CCA capacity to do so.. which is quite common in older batteries.

Regular monthly checks of your battery (using a simple yet effective low cost battery tester available from Amazon or any other major store or auto parts outlet) is the best way to never get surprised by a battery heading south on you. This lets you check and confirm CCA capacity of the battery, Charge level, as well as run a test on the charging system and the starter as well.

And as noted by Carbuff2.... semi-annual check of fluid levels in your cells, particularly if you do a lot of driving in very hot weather. Contrary to common thinking, most flooded cell lead acid batteries are NOT maintenance free. They are low maintenance.. because the top caps are designed to collect and recycle any water moisture that boils off, but some will still escape... so checking and topping up the cells with distilled water, if they are low, every 6 months is good for your battery and good for you too. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Started...drove a few miles...car sat for 1 hour and then wouldn’t start…no sounds of trying to start. Got into car…no lights on dash and other screens noticed the power seat could not be moved. Jump started and has been good for 4 days. Checked out battery and alternator….good. If battery was dead, which was the indication, why were the clock and radio stations not affected? Any ideas?
I learned from my first Honda that 3 years and a battery is done. I replaced my 2013 CR-V battery at 3 years and 3 months - at the first sign of trouble. I worked at Sam’s Club and their batteries are less expensive but made by the manufacturer of 50% of car batteries. Someone said that would be Johnson Controls. I know the “Duracell” and “Eveready” branded batteries are theirs. Probably true of Walmart also. If you can find an ACM type battery (gel technology for cold weather) for your size it will only cost maybe 20% more but last 5 years or so. My CR-V is on the second battery (regular Sam’s) and is showing no signs of issues even though it’s 3 years old.

Your issue could be a weak plate that the jump overcame. The power might have a small battery backup in the fuse box so the clock and radio aren’t affected. When I replaced my battery I don’t recall having to reset. Others may know better than I about this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks....I should have search before I posted....I read enough! Honda saved a few bucks with a cheap battery so I will now get a better one. Any recommendations?
I've had very good results with Interstate Batteries. They last close to their stated warranty & don't seep acid around the terminals. They also have a good "free replacement" period that's about 2 years or more depending on the battery you buy. Costco recently began selling "costco-branded" Interstate Batteries. I imagine they're the same as the regular Interstates because I can't imagine them making a separate production line and different specs just for Costco. I think the only difference might be the case color and different labels that they stick on it.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Here's the weird thing about batteries--they can die without warning. I remember it had to be about nine or ten years ago. I'd dropped my better half off at work in the morning. Nice summer morning, very warm but not yet hot. I got home, half hour later, loaded up the bike and went to start my '97. Nothing. Completely dead. It would not even take a charge to get it going. No clue beforehand either--it was starting right up. I had to take our other car (which wasn't plated or insured at the time), sneak through the neighborhood streets and go to Walmart to get a battery.

Oddly, that old battery is still somewhat working in my '97, even after sitting several months uncharged--I somehow revived it and it will still crank after it's been off the charger for a few days. The original battery in the '97 was a Panasonic, since the first gen shipped from Japan. That one lasted six or seven strong years before it got a little bit draggy during starts, at which point I replaced it (I think in 2003 or 2004).

I've bought two Honda batteries in the past two months. At least the warranty is good (three years full, additional five pro-rated, honored by all Honda dealers in the country with original receipt), and the price was not much different from what many places were charging for mid-grade batteries. We'll see how they hold up!

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
541 Posts
Had a 02 civic (daily driver)that had the oem battery that was made in Japan with a little check window on top. Had it for 10 years before it died. Never had any battery lasted that long and Honda don't use them no more. A coworker had an acura with an oem battery for 12 years and was still working at the time.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Had a 02 civic (daily driver)that had the oem battery that was made in Japan with a little check window on top. Had it for 10 years before it died. Never had any battery lasted that long and Honda don't use them no more. A coworker had an acura with an oem battery for 12 years and was still working at the time.
I remember those days! my 02, made in Japan, the battery lasted a little over 7 years.. and yeah.. had the little green status window on it too.

Thing is.. an 02 has almost no parasitic drain though... so different beast... but yeah.. batteries 15 years ago were made more robustly.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
49 Posts
Thanks....I should have search before I posted....I read enough! Honda saved a few bucks with a cheap battery so I will now get a better one. Any recommendations?
Get the most CCA you can find as well as a three year free replacement warranty. Sam's Club has the Duracell Line with 3 yr free replacement around $105. I usually buy from AdvanceAuto- if you buy online with one of their discount codes you can possibly save up to 25% over retail, and they will do a free install and test your electrical system when you go to pickup in store.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and advice. I bought an MT-35 battery at Costco, no problem with fit. Side story: I bought the battery, put it in the back of the car, got in the car....didn't start. They gave me a jump and I installed it as soon as I got home. I guess you guys were right....because it tests GOOD doesn't mean it is!

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and advice. I bought an MT-35 battery at Costco, no problem with fit. Side story: I bought the battery, put it in the back of the car, got in the car....didn't start. They gave me a jump and I installed it as soon as I got home. I guess you guys were right....because it tests GOOD doesn't mean it is!

Good choice of an alternate to the 51R. An MT-35 has about 20% more reserve capacity (100 vs 85 at 25Amp drain) over a 51R and is almost the same size... just an inch and a half wider and essentially the same height and length. CCA is not that much higher... as most after market 51Rs are over 500 CCA.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good choice of an alternate to the 51R. An MT-35 has about 20% more reserve capacity (100 vs 85 at 25Amp drain) over a 51R and is almost the same size... just an inch and a half wider and essentially the same height and length. CCA is not that much higher... as most after market 51Rs are over 500 CCA.
Really? i'm going to check that out because i'm due for one before winter hits. When i go into work tomorrow, i'm going to have to bust out the tape measure and see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know how you guys feel about Champion batteries but i recently received an ad where they are 25% off at Pepboys. I know i'm due for a new battery in my CRV before winter but i haven't decided if i wanted to upgrade to a 35 series or stay with the 51R.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
don't know how you guys feel about Champion batteries
As has been stated, there are only three or four mainstream battery producers in the USA. A quick Google indicated that Johnson Controls makes them for the Federal-Mogul parts brand.

REPEAT: Whatever brand, get the highest CCA you can, and make sure the battery is less than 6 months old.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As has been stated, there are only three or four mainstream battery producers in the USA. A quick Google indicated that Johnson Controls makes them for the Federal-Mogul parts brand.

REPEAT: Whatever brand, get the highest CCA you can, and make sure the battery is less than 6 months old.
Oh i know theres only three manufactures of batteries in the US, i sell automotive parts every day for a living. Some people just like to gravitate towards certain brands not knowing that little fact.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts