Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m new here and just installed a Yaesu FTM-400XDR in my 2019 CRV and wanted to share some ideas and tips on what I did that might help fellow hams here. (Yes, I know someone else started a thread here with similar install techniques and equipment)

First, a list of equipment:

Wiring:

Standard Yaesu DC power wiring harness which came included in the box with the FTM-400. It’s simple, works great and best of all it comes included in the price of most Yaesu mobile radios. I highly recommend you use it and avoid paying high bucks for unnecessary heavy-gage wires.

Equipment:

Yaesu FTM-400XDR Mobile Dual Band 2M/440 Amateur Radio

Diamond NR-72BNMO Dual Band Antenna

Diamond K400SNMO Lip / Trunk Mount

Mounting Accessories / Hardware:

Wizgear Magnetic Universal Mount

Samsung EVO 32GB MicroSD Card

Standard Honda CRV passenger floor mat.

Professional Installation:

Yaesu DC Power Wiring Harness

Local Audio Shop / Cost: 1 hour labor ($85.00)

Optional Accessories:

RT Systems Software

Installation Details:

Wiring: I went ahead and had the wiring harness professionally installed. The shop ran the wires directly from the battery, through the firewall, under the carpeting and out through the passenger seat area. I didn't want to mess around with the power: I wanted the wiring portion to be perfect. So I let a pro take care of that for me.

The FTM-400XDR: The radio was installed on a Honda original equipment floor mat, as shown. Since I had already upgraded the front floor mats to after-market all-weather floor mats, the original mats were free and do an excellent job and staying put -- If you've ever seen the new floor mats on the CRV, you'll know they have to be literally peeled off the floor! So, I sliced one in half and attached the mounting brackets with the including mounting hardware as shown.

Head unit placement: I've seen the many ways people mount their head units. But as space is tight inside the CRV and I had to have a gooseneck mount pushing up a passenger's thigh, I decided to mount the head unit SOMEHOW on the center console. Well, I had a pair of these Wizgear mounts laying around when I thought I might mount this in a different vehicle. And, after test fitting them I decided they'd be perfect! I mounted them in the cubby area underneath the gearshift. Perfect!

Diamond Lip Mount: The lip mount was mounted on the hatch lip near the shark's fin with enough clearance to avoid damaging the fin and the antenna. The coax was then routed through the rubber grommet, through the plastic molding inside and routed along the edges of the roof and down the C-pillar where the coax attaches to the radio under the passenger seat.

RT Systems / Memories: The Micro SD card made for installing memory channels via RT Systems software super easy. If I travel cross-country, I can just remove the card, download and install new memories for repeaters on my route and re-insert the card into the main unit.

73's all.

N6CHE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very nice setup. Our CR-V is primarily driving by my wife, so doubt I will get to put a radio in ours. Have the power installed professionally is the way to go. It is so tight under the dash on modern cars, I am scared of messing something up if I do it myself. 73.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice setup. Our CR-V is primarily driving by my wife, so doubt I will get to put a radio in ours. Have the power installed professionally is the way to go. It is so tight under the dash on modern cars, I am scared of messing something up if I do it myself. 73.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi there -- Yes, it's really hard to reach, also the firewall isn't as easy to get to as it was in my youth. Just didn't want to ghetto-rig my stuff and have it fall apart in a year or two. Haha. So I definitely wanted a pro do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I’m new here and just installed a Yaesu FTM-400XDR in my 2019 CRV and wanted to share some ideas and tips on what I did that might help fellow hams here. (Yes, I know someone else started a thread here with similar install techniques and equipment)

Wiring:

Standard Yaesu DC power wiring harness which came included in the box with the FTM-400. It’s simple, works great and best of all it comes included in the price of most Yaesu mobile radios. I highly recommend you use it and avoid paying high bucks for unnecessary heavy-gage wires.

Equipment:

Optional Accessories:

RT Systems Software

Installation Details:

Wiring: I went ahead and had the wiring harness professionally installed. The shop ran the wires directly from the battery, through the firewall, under the carpeting and out through the passenger seat area. I didn't want to mess around with the power: I wanted the wiring portion to be perfect. So I let a pro take care of that for me.

The FTM-400XDR: The radio was installed on a Honda original equipment floor mat, as shown. Since I had already upgraded the front floor mats to after-market all-weather floor mats, the original mats were free and do an excellent job and staying put -- If you've ever seen the new floor mats on the CRV, you'll know they have to be literally peeled off the floor! So, I sliced one in half and attached the mounting brackets with the including mounting hardware as shown.

Head unit placement: I've seen the many ways people mount their head units. But as space is tight inside the CRV and I had to have a gooseneck mount pushing up a passenger's thigh, I decided to mount the head unit SOMEHOW on the center console. Well, I had a pair of these Wizgear mounts laying around when I thought I might mount this in a different vehicle. And, after test fitting them I decided they'd be perfect! I mounted them in the cubby area underneath the gearshift. Perfect!

Diamond Lip Mount: The lip mount was mounted on the hatch lip near the shark's fin with enough clearance to avoid damaging the fin and the antenna. The coax was then routed through the rubber grommet, through the plastic molding inside and routed along the edges of the roof and down the C-pillar where the coax attaches to the radio under the passenger seat.

RT Systems / Memories: The Micro SD card made for installing memory channels via RT Systems software super easy. If I travel cross-country, I can just remove the card, download and install new memories for repeaters on my route and re-insert the card into the main unit.

73's all.

N6CHE

View attachment 135440

View attachment 135443

View attachment 135444

View attachment 135445

View attachment 135446

View attachment 135447

View attachment 135448

View attachment 135449

View attachment 135450

View attachment 135451
Hi all,

Wiring:

Equipment:

Optional Accessories:

RT Systems Software

Installation Details:

73's all.

N6CHE

View attachment 135440

View attachment 135443

View attachment 135444

View attachment 135445

View attachment 135446

View attachment 135447

View attachment 135448

View attachment 135449

View attachment 135450

View attachment 135451
Hi all,

Wiring:

Equipment:

Optional Accessories:

RT Systems Software

Installation Details:

73's all.

N6CHE

View attachment 135440

View attachment 135443

View attachment 135444

View attachment 135445

View attachment 135446

View attachment 135447

View attachment 135448

View attachment 135449

View attachment 135450

View attachment 135451
Hi all,

Wiring:

Equipment:

Optional Accessories:

RT Systems Software

Installation Details:

73's all.

N6CHE

View attachment 135440

View attachment 135443

View attachment 135444

View attachment 135445

View attachment 135446

View attachment 135447

View attachment 135448

View attachment 135449

View attachment 135450

View attachment 135451
Hi John,

Just had a chance to read your post on the Honda CRV forum. VERY helpful for me.

I have a 2018 CRV Touring and also just purchased the FTM400.

I’ve been scared to run the power to the battery and have considered a professional shop. Can you tell me who you went to in your area? Around here (Tucson) there’s a place called Audio Express that might be capable. I’m just skeptical of their competence but likewise I can’t see an easy method of doing this myself as it seems that a hole would have to be drilled in the firewall.

I see you mounted the radio in rear area which seems like a great place to minimize the noise from the FTM-400 fan. Does that seem to be working for you?

What are wizgear mounts? Your console installation of the head seems ideal and a method I would like to copy.

I presume that I will have to purchase the extension cable for the head and the radio but I haven’t checked that yet.

I just received my radio about 10 days ago so I’m still in the early stages. I use an Yaesu FT-3 in the shack but considering getting another FTM-400.

Any input or suggestions you have would be very welcome John.

Thank you again!
73, Steve - W1SR - Tucson, Arizona

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

Just had a chance to read your post on the Honda CRV forum. VERY helpful for me.

I have a 2018 CRV Touring and also just purchased the FTM400.

I’ve been scared to run the power to the battery and have considered a professional shop. Can you tell me who you went to in your area? Around here (Tucson) there’s a place called Audio Express that might be capable. I’m just skeptical of their competence but likewise I can’t see an easy method of doing this myself as it seems that a hole would have to be drilled in the firewall.

I see you mounted the radio in rear area which seems like a great place to minimize the noise from the FTM-400 fan. Does that seem to be working for you?

What are wizgear mounts? Your console installation of the head seems ideal and a method I would like to copy.

I presume that I will have to purchase the extension cable for the head and the radio but I haven’t checked that yet.

I just received my radio about 10 days ago so I’m still in the early stages. I use an Yaesu FT-3 in the shack but considering getting another FTM-400.

Any input or suggestions you have would be very welcome John.

Thank you again!
73, Steve - W1SR - Tucson, Arizona
Hi Steve,

Any reputable audio installer in your area should be able to easily get the wiring installed for you. The process is exactly the same for installing aftermarket car audio. They run the power going directly to the battery. Make sure to specify that you want both positive and negative cables run directly to the battery.

here’s the place that wired mine:

West Coast Car Audio Inc
8106 Orchard Loop Ln, Elk Grove, CA 95624
(916) 689-9377

1 - 7 of 7 Posts