Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 CRV Touring has 22,000 miles and the tires roar like you are driving a 4 wheel drive truck. Disappointed to hear today that they have about 5,000 miles left before they need to be replaced. If purchasing a new CRV with this tire brand, consider asking for a tire that will ride smoother and last longer.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My 17 CRV Touring has 22,000 miles and the tires roar like you are driving a 4 wheel drive truck. Disappointed to hear today that they have about 5,000 miles left before they need to be replaced. If purchasing a new CRV with this tire brand, consider asking for a tire that will ride smoother and last longer.
I would be delighted... My estimate at 15k is that my hankooks will last to 35 or 40 (7-9/32 left). I also despise these tires for the noise but can't justify replacing good ones.

Agreed on asking to replace if you can finagle it. Though really the tires I want are likely not available at a dealership.

What are you going to replace them with?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've got about 24k miles on mine and so far they are wearing well but I've been pretty religious about rotating them. They are noisy and I too look forward to replacing them. Hopefully I can squeak out at least 30k miles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The premier LTX look very nice!
With less than 3000 miles on OE tires, I decided to take advantage of Michelin tire sale at Costco last month and have Michelin Premier LTX tires installed on my 2018 Touring AWD. Road noise after replacing Hankook Kinergy tires is significantly reduced and ride is generally much smoother. Plan to sell Hankooks on craigslist.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I love my '17 Touring. However, I have no love for the Hankook tires on it. They do roar and there is a reason for that. The edges of the tires feather. At first glance this might be mistaken for an alignment issue but I have to wonder if there is more to it. I rotate my tires often so I know that is not a problem. What I think however is that some of this wear could be due to the tire design.

When you turn a corner the outer edge of the tire rotates at a different speed than the inner edge. Think of a line of dancers, armed linked, doing a circle. The center end of the line practically stands still and pivots in place. The outer dancer had to travel really fast to make the circle in the same time as the inner dancers. The tread of your tire does the same thing. If you turn sharp on a smooth surface you can hear the squeal as the rubber slips to stay at the right speed. On my driveway where I have to turn sharply to enter the garage I see the black arcs where the tires have had to slip to make the turn. Of course this black I see use to be the tread on the edge of the tire wearing off. It does it more on the edge of course due to the speed difference. This is why we rotate tires, to even up the wear. I have seen cars where people did not rotate the tires and they need new front tires in 12,000 miles or less while the back tires on the same car look fine. This wear varies by vehicle. Due to the steering geometry and the tread design we can see big differences between the same tires on different vehicles. Also it varies by tire design and manufacturer. Some tires handle this slipping differently than others. I have seen this to really make a difference on various makes and models of cars and with various tire designs on the same make and model car.

The Hankook tires feather badly. Once they get the uneven feathered edge they get LOUD!. I hear mine loud and clear. I will rotate them again making sure to swap sides on the tires as they move from rear to front so that the left and right will wear more evenly. Even so I can see the writing on the wall for these stock tires. They will never last the 60,000+ miles I got out of the OEM Bridgestones on my 2012 CR-V. Right now I am thinking that at very best, if I am lucky, I might...might...make 35,000 to 40,000 miles on these. Now, understand I do almost no city driving with this car. We use our little Fit in the city so the CR-V spends its live cruising down straight multilane highways, the easiest life a tire can have (no sharp tutns).

I will not put Hankook's back on the car. I have to research to see what works out best. I will keep the tires on there until they need replacing due to tread wear but I will need to rotate them often.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I loved having Continental DWS06 on my previous cars but would have to go to a lower profile 235/55R18 to get a size that would fit the CRV. I don't see any real issues with doing that but not 100% sure.

I also find it weird the Touring has tires with less tread wear rating than some of the lower trims.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
With less than 3000 miles on OE tires, I decided to take advantage of Michelin tire sale at Costco last month and have Michelin Premier LTX tires installed on my 2018 Touring AWD. Road noise after replacing Hankook Kinergy tires is significantly reduced and ride is generally much smoother. Plan to sell Hankooks on craigslist.
how's the mileage on the new tires? I still have not seen anyone mention anything about the Michelins other than noise reduction.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How often....miles do you rotate your tires,I did not see anything in the owners manual?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I read the manual regarding rotation.

I could not find directional markings on the Bridgestone tires. I assume this means we rotate in a cross pattern.

Are the Hankook tires directional with a front to back rotation?

·
Registered
243 Posts
how's the mileage on the new tires? I still have not seen anyone mention anything about the Michelins other than noise reduction.
Can't comment on the milage, but I also have these same tires and I can say in terms of noise it was about equal to my stock Hankooks HOWEVER I did also replace the stock rims with Honda's OEM 19s. I'm just glad I didn't get an increase in sound going from 18's to 19s. I would say if you're putting the Michellins on the stock 18s you might notice a reduction in noise. I also got a nail in of my tires and had it repaired at a Honda dealer, no problems since. Love these tires.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Reviving old thread...

AAA just posted a nice study on tires. Definitely something to geek out to.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/tag/tire-study/

Get the full study PDF.

The Michelin premier and defenders perform the best in most (all?) tests, including wet stopping distance on worn and new tires. I wish the sample set was larger but hopefully this helps spur innovation across manufacturers.

I'm a little surprised on the road noise results. Maybe not. Basically says no perceived difference and small measured differences.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
973 Posts
For new tires of same style and size, it mostly makes sense that road noise depends on the vehicle's sound deadening construction. How well those same tires wear over time is entirely different.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i thought particularly with the upper trim levels, Michelin would have been standard as they have been on a couple of previous Honda vehicles. I don't have enough miles to experience problems with the Hankooks, but Michelin are probably in my future.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is that dummy on the right holding a golf club? Phil Mickelson has really gone over the edge.
Ha Ha, that's too funny. Maybe he was looking for another golf ball to swat back into play before it rolled away. However, I do believe that's a rod to stand the Phil, er I mean dummy up with.:bump:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts