Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2018 CRV Touring on 11/30/2019. It came with Hankook tires and now with 21,000 miles the tires are cupped and sound like a trailer truck. I had them rotated once but the worst of the tires are wearing on the rear tires. I've never had a set of tires go bad so fast.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Cupping was generated on the rear tire position?

That is a known problem for some CRV owners. Not all, only some. You can search around and find it discussed in the past here in the forum.

Really... it's not the tires, it's something with the vehicle, and you should have the dealer evaluate it. I do know that Honda had sent a field alert to dealers to notify Honda Support when they get one in the shop with the issue (clearly Honda is looking for the cause, so they can correct it).

The Hankook Kinergy GTs are actually a really good performance tire, though a bit noisy.. being a performance tire. https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/hankook-kinergy-gt-h436/p/32655 I don't believe the Hankook prorate warranty of 70,000 miles though.... but mine are wearing quite well so far. That said.. when it comes time to replace them.. I will go with Michelins.. as per my usual choice.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Is there something wrong with one or the other of those 2 dates? Probably not what you want to hear but, the Hankooks on our V look new at 15K miles.🤷‍♂️ Rotated at about 7.5K miles and again a couple of weeks ago.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,086 Posts
Our set of Hankook 727s lasted a REALLY long time on our Gen2, though they were noisy towards the end. (We kept 500 lbs of weight in our cargo area for 8 years) 😲

You should at least have the alignment checked...mention the rear cupping/feathering issue to the dealer or alignment shop. Often they can adjust the suspension with specs to reduce the feathering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cupping was generated on the rear tire position?

That is a known problem for some CRV owners. Not all, only some. You can search around and find it discussed in the past here in the forum.

Really... it's not the tires, it's something with the vehicle, and you should have the dealer evaluate it. I do know that Honda had sent a field alert to dealers to notify Honda Support when they get one in the shop with the issue (clearly Honda is looking for the cause, so they can correct it).

The Hankook Kinergy GTs are actually a really good performance tire, though a bit noisy.. being a performance tire. https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/hankook-kinergy-gt-h436/p/32655 I don't believe the Hankook prorate warranty of 70,000 miles though.... but mine are wearing quite well so far. That said.. when it comes time to replace them.. I will go with Michelins.. as per my usual choice.
All four tires cupped, I had them replaced at 22,000 miles, couldn't stand the road noise over the radio........no help from Honda but a reputable tire dealer gave me 40% on the old tires.......

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
All four tires cupped, I had them replaced at 22,000 miles, couldn't stand the road noise over the radio........no help from Honda but a reputable tire dealer gave me 40% on the old tires.......
Correct, Honda cannot help you with tires because OEM tires are covered by the tire manufacturer warranty.. which is generally a pro-rate on tread/miles.

Now.. if there is a defect on your CRV as cause for the cupping ... then THAT is covered by your bumper to bumper warranty, and that is on Honda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts