Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all there!
Hope the subject caught your attention.

I bought a 1996 CR-V three months ago. Since then, I have been going to different beaches and there is always loose deep sand at one point or another on the road. I live in Mozambique and here there are plenty of opportunities to go out of the beaten path ... actually, there is no much beaten path once you left the main cities ;)

Up to last Saturday, I had gotten stucked only once in sand when trying to climb a dune. The sand was very high and loose, up to the level where there was no clearance between the sand and the bottom of the car. In this case it was just a matter of putting reverse and pushing the car backwards (I was with my wife and another couple) and the car got out fine. If it helps, 20 meters ahead of me, a brand new Pathfinder got stucked as well and they also had to go back.

So, last Saturday we were going to some isolated beach. We had driven the same road before, but this time the sand was even more loose and high. So we start getting stucked. In most cases, pushing the car back and trying it again with less people in the car and more momentum was solving the problem. Up to the point where we got stucked, unable to get out and the gear shifting lever was blocked.

I thought I had broken the transmission or something. It was almost impossible to get to lever out of P. I had to push very hard to move the lever. The weird thing was that once in a gear (R, D4, ...) the car would try to move forward with the front wheels only. We finally got to where we were going and got out the next day with that problem on the shifting lever.

Well, to make a long story short, the whole problem was that a lot of sand and mud had gotten into a small box where the gear shifting cable connects to the transmission. I had to go to the Honda dealership to find this out, but I was worth the trip. They say there are no problems with the transmission and also that I should wash the car more often :p

Me and my wife I love the Honda and would love to keep it, but don't want to get stucked alone in the middle of nowhere. So, we are now considering whether to keep the V or get a rougher 4x4.

Anyone else out there that uses the Honda on rough off road trails?
Any advice?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have never taken my V off-roading but to the best of my knowlege better tires will help you a lot. Usually people change the tires to 215/70/R15 (Sorry if this size rating will not help you I am not sure about the off road rating). Some times if you overheat the rear diff it will turn off until it cools down so that it can operate again. Also there is a BDS Lift Kit that some members have on there First Gen V's just look up a BDS likf kit for a 1997-2001 Honda CR-V lift kit and i am sure that you can find it it will only raise the car 2 inches though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts