Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2004 crv and my only problem is when I fill my tank until the fuel pump cuts off the car is hard to start I have to push on the gas while cranking the motor and keep the rpms over 1000 or the motor will idle down and stall out, the engine light is on and it gives me a code p1457 Evap canister leak. I was wondering if anyone has a fix for this problem, I reset the trouble code and it came on again after about 100km of driving

·
Everything in Moderation
7,649 Posts
Look for loose hoses near the left rear wheel in the canister/fuel filler neck area. (You need to release the 3 10mm bolts on the canister cover to see everything.)

Other than that, it could be one of the control valves down near the canister. They can be difficult for the owner to troubleshoot without the dealer's tool (which can apply vacuum and open and shut the controls one at a time).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For there to be a rough idle and stalling would that mean that fuel is leaking into the throttle body somehow?

·
Super Moderator
3,205 Posts
Sounds like the OP is having multiple problems that were not resolved by prior owner or found during the test drive. Tempting to suggest you reject the car and get your money back. I would add to Carbuff's suggestion the possibility that there are leaks in the plumbing up front allowing excess air into the engine.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Try this, set in car with nothing on, turn key to on(not start)while watching ENGINE LIGHT, listen for the RELAY SOUND close to glove box area..........when the lamp goes off you will immediately hear the relay click. The car should start after this WITHOUT touching the pedal. JMHO and btw my 97 still cranks that way with 218K miles.....good luck.
David g. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will always start fine, the only time I have trouble starting is if I fill the tank to full while fueling up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts