Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Thought I'd post this here in case anyone was looking to do the same.
So after selling my 16 Subaru WRX I was planning on moving my Radar detector over to my CR-V but to replace the Blendmount was another $98.00 (Vehicle specific).
Thankfully the WRX one worked like a charm!... Here is the one I used. (Of course they are specific to each detector)
https://store.blendmount.com/radar-detectors-mounts-c10326.aspx

I then used the same Mirror Tap power cord off the WRX I had ordered from Blendmount.
Link:*https://blendmount.com/mirrortap.html

They are prongs at the end that slide into the molex style connector that goes into your mirror.
Easy install, takes 5 minutes all together. The black goes to black and the red goes to the green wire (12v switched) on your cars harness.
Detector will turn on and off with the car now.

You can also use the mirror to tap your Dash cam into.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts

I prefer the R3 to be high and hidden. The blend mounts have a good rep for being very stable. I haven't heard of the WRX. good find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you used waze app? What are the pros and con over that if i can ask. I live in the city and its been very reliable since its popular around here. I had scanners before i could never get a good reading i will get false alarms. Maybe i was doing it wrong i dont know. Or maybe its best in certain driving conditions. Like Interstate driving Away from populated areas.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For red light and speed trap cameras that are stationary, Waze is perfect. Waze is not perfect for cop cars with radar guns as they often move as they pull people over and then set up a new location.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Also i am interested in that wire tap for a dash cam. I have annoying wires hanging throughout my dash. It uses a mini usb for power. what size taps did you use?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I prefer the R3 to be high and hidden. The blend mounts have a good rep for being very stable. I haven't heard of the WRX. good find.

Pretty sweet! Having it up high and hidden is preferred. I think I just like the "integrated" look of the blendmounts. They are very solid indeed.

Have you used waze app? What are the pros and con over that if i can ask. I live in the city and its been very reliable since its popular around here. I had scanners before i could never get a good reading i will get false alarms. Maybe i was doing it wrong i dont know. Or maybe its best in certain driving conditions. Like Interstate driving Away from populated areas.
The Waze app is only as good as the community using it in your area. I wouldn't rely on one over the other. Using both together would yield the best result. Once Waze releases their app for Android Auto, i'll be golden.

Also i am interested in that wire tap for a dash cam. I have annoying wires hanging throughout my dash. It uses a mini usb for power. what size taps did you use?
The Tap I used is linked in the original post but uses a RJ telephone style plug. The other end are just prongs you slide into the back of the mirror connector. That's all there is too it, no permanent splicing or taps used.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For anybody looking for the most knowledgeable place on the internet about radar detectors and countermeasures check out https://www.rdforum.org.
It's a great group of enthusiasts.

Agreed, I've spent my fair share of time there.
I have it on my CR-V. Touch inputs lag a bit, but works pretty well.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1034201

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Oh wow I'm going to check this out when I get home! Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all,

Thought I'd post this here in case anyone was looking to do the same.
So after selling my 16 Subaru WRX I was planning on moving my Radar detector over to my CR-V but to replace the Blendmount was another $98.00 (Vehicle specific).
Thankfully the WRX one worked like a charm!... Here is the one I used. (Of course they are specific to each detector)
https://store.blendmount.com/radar-detectors-mounts-c10326.aspx

I then used the same Mirror Tap power cord off the WRX I had ordered from Blendmount.
Link:*https://blendmount.com/mirrortap.html

They are prongs at the end that slide into the molex style connector that goes into your mirror.
Easy install, takes 5 minutes all together. The black goes to black and the red goes to the green wire (12v switched) on your cars harness.
Detector will turn on and off with the car now.

You can also use the mirror to tap your Dash cam into.
thanks a lot! do you remember which taps sizes you used? And which series MTX ( (2) .040" Red/Black, (2) .045" Red/Black, (2).060" Red/Black, (2) .075" Red/Black) or MT Series .080" Tap?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, this all sounds techie wonderful, but remember, there are some places in the US where rd's are ILLEGAL. It's best to ensure that your unit is removable. Cops have been known to make you remove it and then cram it under their tires, then take off like a bandito, spreading your rd across 3 states!! Virginia is the worst state to get caught with one. Ciao for now.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
... Cops have been known to make you remove it and then cram it under their tires, then take off like a bandito, spreading your rd across 3 states!! Virginia is the worst state to get caught with one. Ciao for now.
WHAT????? I've never used a radar detector, and I know they are illegal in some areas, but WHAT??????? This is NUTS!!!

They should write you a ticket and be done with it. Destroy it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Radar Speed Gun and Speed Cam are obsolete. Only patrol vehicles use Radar. Most Speed Gun and Speed Cam today use LIDAR (LIght Detection And Ranging).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts