Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my CRV I didn't need any financing and yet the dealer wanted me to fill out a Honda credit application claiming that they needed to verify my identity for the patriot act and my driver's license wasn't good enough. They also said they couldn't verify the funds on my cashier's check. Did some quick research and saw that a lot of shady dealers falsely ran a hard credit check to offer you better financing. (again, not that I needed any) I had to drive home and back to get some utility statements proving my residence and all. My wife wanted to not come back and just walk away from the deal. I never gave em my SS#, but not sure if they still ran my credit. I need to check Experian...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah.. I paid cash, too. Honda dealership wanted me to fill out a credit app, too.. I declined and just put my name and address on it..

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,094 Posts
Your wife's reaction is right. Walk away. They'll come crawling back to you if they want to make a sale.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yeah, that Patriot Act stuff sounds like a load of malarkey. However, it IS true that they cannot instantly verify a cashier's check (there is such a thing as a counterfeit cashier's check), and fake DL's are hardly unheard of.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I paid cash for mine, never even a mention of credit app or offering financing. Since my wife had bought from them a few years ago, I was referred to this salesman from a friend who is a repeat customer and I think they were trying to get the deal done (last day of the month), they took a personal check from me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Same for me... My dealer called it a background check. They had me partially fill out a credit app skipping the parts about income and the signature line that consents to a credit check

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's easy to put a stop to unwanted credit checks. You can place a freeze on your credit records online. When a check is run, results come back as negative, as in no information available. This is also a very effective tool against identity theft. My records with all three agencies have been frozen against snooping for several years with no problems. To temporarily "thaw" the freeze, request access (can be done online) be provided for 3-5 days then "re-freeze" after the period closes.

Back to the OP, my recent purchase of a CR-V was made by personal check. Still, I was asked to fill out a credit application. I provided my name, address, phone #, CADL and tax ID, nothing more. When the credit check was pulled, results came back as no information available. For whatever their reason for pulling a credit report on a cash buyer, they didn't succeed. In the long run, they accepted my personal check as good and sent me on my way in a new CR-V.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I live in the sticks where everyone knows everyone. I bought my last 3 cars by writing a check and driving the cars home. Other than using my drivers license to fill out the paperwork, they did nothing else. Last year, I deposited a large check that the bank normally holds to make sure it clears. The new clerk looked over at the bank manager and asked if she should put a hold on my check. The bank manager said "nah, we know where he lives". That is one advantage of living in a small place where you are a known cheapskate.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had pre-approved financing and they admitted they couldn't beat the rate. Immediately after we discussed the rate they gave me the form for a credit check. I brought the irony of the situation to the sales guy who checked with his manager. Manager said it wouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought in LA Diamond Honda paid full in cash but still they ran credit report.I was not happy and asked why?they gave vague reason.I was running late in night so did not argue much.But I should have walked out had I have more time.
Btw I picked up my car after check was cashed,because of logistics issues from my side.
See no reason for this credit check..but anyways it's now history..but for any future buyers..just walk away..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Your wife had the right approach, simply walk away. Dealerships have become very arrogant. The little tricks to make a copy of your DL while you test drive is ammunition for the Finance Mgr. to simply check your soul, bad move. Their motive is a true sign of dishonesty. Asking for utility bills is absurd, simply say NO and walk out. JMHO.
David g...........:cool:
[/ I]

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
126 Posts
My dealer proactively told me that they hadn't pulled a credit report. They didn't ask for a deposit or have me sign a purchase agreement even though they were adding some accessories. Paid with a personal check the next day and drove away.

This may not be pertinent, but this was a sale through Costco. We had no relationship with the dealer before.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I bought in LA Diamond Honda paid full in cash but still they ran credit report.I was not happy and asked why?they gave vague reason.I was running late in night so did not argue much.But I should have walked out had I have more time.
Btw I picked up my car after check was cashed,because of logistics issues from my side.
See no reason for this credit check..but anyways it's now history..but for any future buyers..just walk away..
They get a kick back whenever anyone applies for credit. Similar when a big box store gets you to apply for a card, too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Paid cash via Check - dealership did not ask to fill out any financing paperwork.

Run out of that dealership FAST!

It would also be several hits on your credit report also after filling out the financing paperwork.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks for all the replies. Yeah we really didn't want to give em our business, but we were getting Costco member fleet pricing, which was saving us several hundred compared to any other local dealer. Costco only contracts with one dealership in any given area, so us walking away would only hurt us financially, while the dealer could easily sell the car to someone else at higher non-costco rate. I still haven't checked my credit and maybe I should put a lock for the future.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I bet they do get a kick back. Info entered into 'the system' and available to be sold.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Here's what Edmunds says:

But industry experts, including attorneys from both the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) and the National Independent Automobile Dealers Association (NIADA), say that the Patriot Act does not require dealers to run a credit report on customers who pay cash.

However, laws designed to combat money laundering by terrorist organizations do require dealers to check the identification of customers paying more than $10,000 in cash and to report those transactions to the Internal Revenue Service on Form 8300. Paying with a cashier's check, money order or traveler's check also qualifies as a cash transaction, according to the IRS. (Oddly, a personal check does not qualify as cash, according to the IRS form's instructions. But it's the rare car dealer who would accept a personal check for a vehicle purchase.)
https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/car-dealership-credit-report-scams-and-the-patriot-act.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing...not Patriot, but money laundering.

So, you have a problem w/a dealer letting you take a 30K car for a joy-ride w/o knowing who you are?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts