Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used set of 215/65/17 tires off of craigslist and am now getting 26 miles per gallon everyday country use. This is a about a 4 MPG improvement over the stock sized tire. I think I am going to buy a new set with this size next time. The only thing I was wondering is that you get 270 revs per mile vs 207 revs per mile? Im not a math genius...anyone care to let me know if this extra revs will eventually add a lot of miles on my odometer. Also anyone else try this size?

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
329 Posts
Calculation is very easy. 270 / 207 = 1.30, there is 30% difference.
Speedometer would show 65 MPH when your speed is 50 and real gas mileage is 20 MPG instead of 26 you calculated, this is 2 MPG degradation.
Engine will make 30% more revolutions at same distance you travel and will wear out sooner then with stock sized tires. Miles on the odometer would accumulated 30% faster. But you saved on tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30% difference did not make sense to me so I looked at this again. Using a web tire sizer, I found out that the stock tire (225/65/17) gives 729 revs per mile and the new size (215/65/17) gives 742 revs per mile. This equates to speed of 60 mph on stock size which is 61 miles an hour on new size. The calculated miles per gallon on the CRV display went from about 21 to 27 so I believe I am getting way better mileage with the skinnier 215 tires. I have not calculated actual mpg to compare with the display. I am convinced that I am getting much better mileage so now looking to put a brand new set of 215/65/17 tires all around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So you widened your tires and not changed the height? I did not know increased/decreased width of tires would change RPM. Seems the circumference is unchanged in this scenario. The only difference would seem to be the added weight of the wider tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts