Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
They certainly advertise a lot on this forum. One would assume somebody gave it a try.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have a problem with this statement on their website:
Effectively, it allows your engine to respond faster. As a result, your car can accelerate faster.
If the engine responds faster to your depressing the pedal that does not mean your car is going to accelerate faster, although it may start to accelerate sooner.
And yeah, before anyone argues with me, I disagree with the semantics of their marketing claim.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
Very interested to hear from someone with a 5th Gen crv how the pedal commander felt for them.
Do they even offer one for the CRV? A quick google search popped some hits, but every one I followed went 404 on me, including on their website.

I can find them for Civics and Accords, and some older Honda models, but no CRV.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If the engine responds faster to your depressing the pedal that does not mean your car is going to accelerate faster, although it may start to accelerate sooner.
And yeah, before anyone argues with me, I disagree with the semantics of their marketing claim.
Yeah, most of these throttle-accelerator companies make stupid claims about throttle delay, which they do not, in fact, do a damn thing for. On the forum for my last car, one of them actually showed up to post about it, and a half-dozen different forum members showed up and piled on with what B.S. it all was.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 2017+ CR-V already supports most of the features this claims to provide already, so I don't see a reason to buy one. It might help the 2.4L engine, but won't help the 1.5L Turbo at all. It appears aimed at the sport enthusiast not the regular driver.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Isn't sport mode good enough? Its a small SUV for family/economy commute, not for drag racing where split second difference makes the difference between a win or a loss.
You are 100% correct. I don't get these people crying about HP. The CR-V is not a sports car.....the window sticker states 190HP. If you wanted something faster, you should have went with a Pilot or RDX. The blame falls on the customer. Enough said.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You are 100% correct. I don't get these people crying about HP. The CR-V is not a sports car.....the window sticker states 190HP. If you wanted something faster, you should have went with a Pilot or RDX. The blame falls on the customer. Enough said.
A Throttle Commander does not change horsepower, only throttle response verse pedal depress.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To be fair, I don't think those who looked into this product or even the different tunes available are trying to get more horsepower. It's the throttle response and/or quicker spooling of the turbo. Lag can be problematic in some situations and I personally, have no issue with someone wanting to change an aspect or two of the vehicle they purchased and are welcomed to do whatever they want to. An RDX and Pilot are nothing alike and there are far more differences than just horsepower compared to a CR-V. Buying a CR-V and adding performance parts or tune, stereo, suspension parts, tires, tint, etc still doesn't equal the cost of other vehicles that may have more of the characteristics that these folks may be looking for to begin with. All that aside, have you tried out a Pedal Commander because that's the question the op asked?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
To be fair, I don't think those who looked into this product or even the different tunes available are trying to get more horsepower. It's the throttle response and/or quicker spooling of the turbo. Lag can be problematic in some situations and I personally, have no issue with someone wanting to change an aspect or two of the vehicle they purchased and are welcomed to do whatever they want to.
The CRV with the 1.5T in it definitely drives differently then any prior CRV I have owned.

What I learned was the engine in normal mode (not sport or econ) responds most smoothly from a stop if you lean into the accelerator initially (this runs up the rpm past 1600 rpm, where the turbo spins up... and spins up almost instantly) until you reach about 20 mph. Then I just ease back on the throttle and let the engine move into the green zone on fuel economy and continue to move upward in speed smoothly until the speed limit is reached for the road being driven on. This is counter intuitive to how my gen3 CRV performed, and it took a little adjustment by me to get into the new characteristics of the gen5 acceleration and response.

Interestingly enough.. I get a little better total fuel economy by pushing the CRV from stop to ~ 20 mph and then easing back too... compared to trying to accelerate linearly from a stop like I was used to with my gen3.

The instantaneous MPG readout display on the instrument panel along with the rpm gauge is how I learned to drive differently and more efficiently with my gen5 CRV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts