Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, 2010 CR-V and I am trying to remove the intermediate shaft and bearing carrier to replace the transmission axle seal. I cannot figure out how to get the 3 bolts off the bearing carrier. Can't seem to reach the top bolt, at least with the tools I have. Has anyone done it?

I assume that I cannot take out the intermediate shaft without removing that carrier? Thanks..

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I posted this while I was letting PB Blaster work it's magic, and after a while it did. Still was a huge pain to get the top bolt off. You need a 14mm socket, i could not use my 1/2 inch drivers as there is not enough room for the socket head next to the bracket. Used a 3/8 socket, but really needed a different setup- a 14mm socket with 12 points and a long handled ratchet with like 160 teeth, there is not a lot of room to swing the ratchet, you need the handle length to break the bolt, and the 12 points/more teeth to get good positioning, lesser of these dictate where you can place the socket and sometimes it's not within the right gap, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone removed the intermediate shaft on a 2012-14 CR-V? I can't figure out how to get to the 2 left side bolts off. If any of you have had success, please share what combo of socket, extension, and wrench worked. Did you have to remove anything else? I'm assuming the best approach is from underneath?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
For anyone else attempting this on a 2012-14 CR-V, the advice still applies. A long-handled 3/8 flex head wrench (such as the one from Harbor Freight) and a 12 point 14 mm socket did the trick. Jack the car up as high as you safely can. You must remove the heat shield to gain access to the top inner bolt. The outer bolt (as well as the heat shield) can be removed from the wheel well. The lower inner bolt can be removed from underneath. To remove the top inner bolt you have to reach from below and get the wrench in the space above and to the left of the bolt. It is very tedious, but once you get it started a bit, you can finish by hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts