Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently own a 2016 Honda CRV EX. I currently have 3200 miles, and will have paid off in 2 mos. It is in mint condition. Would I take a big loss if I traded it in for the 2017 model. I really like the 2017 crv over 2016.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I traded in my '15 touring because of the vibration at idle problem, took a little hit, but recouped my down payment even.
Purchased a '16 touring from same dealer and the vehicle was great..... until I took it in for the flash TSB...
Big mistake, the vehicle started showing sighs of the idle issue......
Traded that in for a '17 touring again recouping my down payment and love the vehicle by far, except for the fog lights which I've already swapped out for LED's.....

So here's the gist .... research from KBB shows the value of your car is from $19610-$21027....

The biggest problem I see is the loss due to model style change, why would you want one of those when you can have one of these.....scenario....

Get the vehicle you want, without regrets......

YOLO.........

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I traded in my '15 touring because of the vibration at idle problem, took a little hit, but recouped my down payment even.
Purchased a '16 touring from same dealer and the vehicle was great..... until I took it in for the flash TSB...
Big mistake, the vehicle started showing sighs of the idle issue......
Traded that in for a '17 touring again recouping my down payment and love the vehicle by far, except for the fog lights which I've already swapped out for LED's.....

So here's the gist .... research from KBB shows the value of your car is from $19610-$21027....

The biggest problem I see is the loss due to model style change, why would you want one of those when you can have one of these.....scenario....

Get the vehicle you want, without regrets......

YOLO.........

Good luck
Well to be honest with you, I'm not experiencing any issues with my 2016. Maybe I should hold on to it. Thanks for all the helpful responses.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well to be honest with you, I'm not experiencing any issues with my 2016. Maybe I should hold on to it. Thanks for all the helpful responses.

A lot may depend on other things too, I am in Ohio, so it has a tax credit, when I trade in a car, say my 2016 EXL for $25500 as an example and I pay $28500 (if I were lucky) for a 2017 EXL, I would only owe tax of 6.75% on $3k....that makes it more inticing to me, but this only works for me if I buy a new car....that is always something to consider and look into as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A lot may depend on other things too, I am in Ohio, so it has a tax credit, when I trade in a car, say my 2016 EXL for $25500 as an example and I pay $28500 (if I were lucky) for a 2017 EXL, I would only owe tax of 6.75% on $3k....that makes it more inticing to me, but this only works for me if I buy a new car....that is always something to consider and look into as well.
Here in NY as well..... forgot to add that.......

·
Registered
184 Posts
It is true that you only pay tax on trade difference. BUT you have FAR more bargaining power without trade and will obviously do better selling outright. (I used to sell)

On the otherhand unfortunately with the 17s being hot new 16's are pretty heavily discounted (they are in WAY upstate NY).

If you are not in such a hurry put it up for sale and test the market...

STEVE
17 white EX
UPSTATE NY

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I considered trading my 16 EX-L for a 17. At the mileage on my car, the trade-in value was around $22,000 per the dealer as well as KBB and NADA. Even a greatly discounted 17 would have made the jump of one year very expensive. I will keep the 16 as it is perfect and a great car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought about that as well, but figured it would still cost me around $10k to convert (between depreciation, taxes, new car cost/markup, etc...). So... yeah I also elected to keep my 2016.

Honestly the one thing I really dislike in the '16 is the headunit - specifically the user friendliness (or lack thereof) for the Navi input. But it's not enough for a deal breaker. Otherwise pretty darn happy with the 'V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check Carmax to see what they are offering
I am done with carmax, went to get a quote on my wife's torrent when trading in for the Ridgeline (was buying used, so no state tax credit), they offered $5k and said this was wrong, this and that was....we got $7500 from Honda dealer....went to check value of my Accord coupe, they said it was wrecked, this was wrong, offered $2500....I got $5800 when I bought my new Civic, and their car prices were higher than the Honda dealer a mile away, with Hondacare even! Some may have good luck selling to them, but to me, it seems that they lowball and charge a lot and there is no haggling? I can go to the dealers used cars and say I will pay that and there isn't any haggling. That's just my experience with them...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I presently own a 2016 Honda CRV EX. I currently have 3200 miles, and will have paid off in 2 mos. It is in mint condition. Would I take a big loss if I traded it in for the 2017 model. I really like the 2017 crv over 2016.
My wife and I traded in our 2016 CRV Ex for a 2017 CRV EX-L and definitely took a hit. BUT, it is a whole redesigned car and we figured it was worth the upgrade. The vibration issues on the 2016 model drove us nuts and just wanted to get rid of it. The 2017 model is better on so many different levels and would recommend it if the opportunity presents itself to any potential buyers.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I had a 2012 which I loved and held on to through the 2015 mid-model upgrade. When the 2017 came out I decided to move up. If I had a perfectly good 2016 it would be a very difficult decision. I like the previous generation CR-V better in some aspects then the '17. The '17 seems taller and harder to get in and out of then the previous model. It seems a bigger car over all. (And it is, but not by as much as it can seem). I can say I got into my brother's 2016 V the other day and it seemed......use a polite term.......a little "dated". And my daughter-in-law after test driving a '17 said, "Who would want a '16 after they drive a '17?" There is a big difference, but then there always is. No matter what you buy someone will have something "better" tomorrow. If you are happy with your '16 hold on to it for a couple of more years and catch the mid-model upgrade Honda will likely do with the V in about 2019.

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
I thought about that as well, but figured it would still cost me around $10k to convert (between depreciation, taxes, new car cost/markup, etc...). So... yeah I also elected to keep my 2016.

Honestly the one thing I really dislike in the '16 is the headunit - specifically the user friendliness (or lack thereof) for the Navi input. But it's not enough for a deal breaker. Otherwise pretty darn happy with the 'V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm glad to see you kept it. There's no need to trade something in that is perfectly good. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I traded my wife's 13 Honda CR-V EX-L a couple of months ago for a 17 Touring. Very happy with the decision. I got 18k trade in for the 13 and great terms on the Touring. The monthly payment went up $75, well worth the upgrade. The wife is extremely pleased with the new car. I am considering buying a Touring for myself later on this year. It is SO much more comfortable to drive than my 15 Subaru Forester XT. It doesn't have the immediate punch that the 250hp turbo has, but I find the Touring to have ample acceleration when needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My wife and I traded in our 2016 CRV Ex for a 2017 CRV EX-L and definitely took a hit. BUT, it is a whole redesigned car and we figured it was worth the upgrade. The vibration issues on the 2016 model drove us nuts and just wanted to get rid of it. The 2017 model is better on so many different levels and would recommend it if the opportunity presents itself to any potential buyers.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did Honda give you for your Honda. Also, how many miles did you have when you traded it in. Much appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts