Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has used the 3 year provided Honda Roadside Assistance that comes with new CR-V's and did it work? I'm thinking of joining AAA if the Honda provided one isn't very good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have AAA, but used Honda R A just last Sat. evening.
They sent a AAA truck to tow me to the dealer.
60 mins wait time, which is about normal on Sat. evening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too called the roadside assistance last Friday night for a dead battery. They contract out to AAA. Regular AAA gets you a free tow of 4 miles or less, the AAA+ gets you 100 miles. I think HRA gets you a tow to the nearest dealer without cost, but not 100% sure on that. Ended up canceling the call after we jumped it ourselves, but it was a 60 minute wait as well. AAA got rid of most of their tow contractors a few years back so the wait times went way up...

Since the HRA is with the car for the first 3/36,000 it's no cost to have, but if you have other cars then it's worth picking AAA as well since that covers you, not the car.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I have the 100 mile towing from AAA. I'll stay with AAA because I can tell them where I want the car taken and not be forced to use the closest dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know what the process for adding other Honda’s in the same household to the Honda Roadside Assistance? They sent a item in the mail saying since we own a 2018 CRV that all our Honda’s were covered.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Does anyone know what the process for adding other Honda’s in the same household to the Honda Roadside Assistance? They sent a item in the mail saying since we own a 2018 CRV that all our Honda’s were covered.
The actual letter they sent you should provide the instructions to add other Hondas to the same plan. It's a nice courtesy offered by Honda. I have used it one time to attach my wifes older Accord to my plan.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Honda contracts out this service with other providers. I doubt it is the same provider in all states and locations.. though I guess it could be.

The point here is you initiate it through HRA.. and then they contact and have a tow truck dispatched to you.. by who ever the local contracted entity is. From owner reports.. on average it can be an hour or two wait for the truck arrival, but I'm sure that will vary by location and time of day (distance and workloads on the tow company).

I have a towing provision on my insurance, for any form of accident.. and the one time I have had to use it in our family.. it was around 90 minutes before the tow truck lifted the vehicle.. from the time of the call through my insurance company.. and this was evening time on a workday.. so HRA seems to be about normal for this sort of emergency service request.

·
Registered
119 Posts
it worked , but I wasnt stranded or in any danger . There was an extremely cold spell of days back in jan 2013 in ontario canada and my new 2013 lx awd wouldnt start . I'm assuming honda just calls up whoever is available from their list of tow truck operators in said areas .Received a boost and it started but same thing happened next day even with block heater plugged all night .Honda replaced battery and I never had an issue after that .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Battery died twice on my then new 2017 CR-V EX-L. I called Honda Roadside Assist and both times a young guy showed up with a booster box and started my car. Honda did a Service Bulletin update and never had any further battery issues.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I still keep my AAA. Advantage is Honda takes car to nearest Honda dealer. AAA I can have towed up to 100 miles to my dealer (close to my home). I can have it towed further if I want to pay the difference.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes for a failed battery. They sent AAA - HRA just subcontractts out to whoever is local and available, like most manufacturer roadside assistance programs. And the guy who turns up will usually do minimal diagnostics before immediately wanting to do a tow to the dealership.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts