Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone used oil extractor (Mityvac) to change the oil?

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Dans15 
#1 ·
Does this method work well for our CRV?

#6 ·
To determine that, you first need to use the extractor...then see what you get when removing the oil sump drain bolt.

If it is only a few ounces difference, then use the extractor.

Post back with your results.

+++++++++++

I use an extractor (a $10 hand-held pump) to replenish the ATF in our wife's American automatic transmission. That gets me about 3 quarts of the 9 quart capacity each time. Every 60K miles I drop the transmission pan and replace the filter inside.

Owning Hondas has taught me that replacing every last ounce of the fluid in an assembly is not required for long life of said assemblies. (I know, some will argue..) :rolleyes: :giggle:

I have not purchased the bigger extractors because of a lack of floor space in our garage.

#14 ·
Though Honda says oil filter every other oil change, when I had my '14 Civic I got free oil changes from the dealership and they always changed the filter. I dome own oil changes most of the time and always replace the filter. It's a cheap insurance but on the other hand, on bobistheoilguy.com there are a lot of people who run good filter from 15k+ miles with no issues. However, I would say just spend the extra $7 and time to replace the filter every oil change.

#15 ·
Because using compressor takes longer to do it properly.

Because it is less risky to break the oil drain bolt plug cylinder walls of pan by using excessive torque.

Because what you can't see it is not considered best practice psychologically.

Because working on top of engine you don't need a car lift.

Removing the filter is needed every 20,000km but you need to jack the car up. Yes you can replace it every 10000km if you wish.

both methods are used and I really dont see your point @diyman.

#18 ·
Because using compressor takes longer to do it properly.

Because it is less risky to break the oil drain bolt plug cylinder walls of pan by using excessive torque.

Because what you can't see it is not considered best practice psychologically.

Because working on top of engine you don't need a car lift.

Removing the filter is needed every 20,000km but you need to jack the car up. Yes you can replace it every 10000km if you wish.

both methods are used and I really dont see your point @diyman.
Just please dont sell it or trade it in and screw over the next owner. Run it till it dies, then when you get half the life out of the engine as the others, you can come back with tail between your legs and admit your fault.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I have always crawled underneath my car and any other car to change the oil the way i was taught, by draining it from the pan. I prefer crawling under the cars to change the oil as it allows me to see stuff under there and inspect the condition of anything else while i'm there.
I still don't understand why people don't change the filter every time you change the oil in a car, as most parts store are always running some kind of special on oil change kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.