Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 crv lx with 600 miles and noted an overfill of about 3/16 inch above top overfill hole.

I have not confirmed whether it was a factory overfill or oil dilution, but want to remove some oil while i monitor, as well as send in some oil for analysis.

Curious if there is a known overfill limit on the crv and if anyone knows good siphon with a heat safe hose.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
Wow that's almost an inch. I'm not even near that yet but wonder if breakin period is more restrictive.
Yeah.. it appears that Hondas are more tolerant of the issue then some other manufacturers engines. I too was surprised how high the oil level can rise before any error codes are set. And in the case of OD... my guess is that error codes for fuel too rich would trigger before an actual engine oil level error does for the 1.5T.

The good news is if the manufacturer has done their job in engine design to account for OD... the various systems should monitor and issue an error condition long before the engine is able to self-inflict any notable damage.

One question for you..... did you check the oil level right when you received the vehicle (or within a day or so)? I ask because they do in fact sometimes over fill at both the factory and at dealers with the 1.5T. If they are over-filled by a quart (which people have reported seeing... including myself on my first dealer oil change) that will show about 10-12mm above the max line... and is really no issue. I do however find it ironic that Honda is very emphatic in their owners manuals to never over fill the oil.. yet both factory and dealers seem to do it with some regularity.

Advice: do not panic and change out your original oil early if at all possible. In looking at peoples oil analysis reports on both factory installed oil and after the factory oil is changed out... there IS notable differences in trace elements in the oil.... probably to help break-in the engine and seat all components for long life. So... only change early on that first oil if you find you have a sever OD issue to contend with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah.. it appears that Hondas are more tolerant of the issue then some other manufacturers engines. I too was surprised how high the oil level can rise before any error codes are set. And in the case of OD... my guess is that error codes for fuel too rich would trigger before an actual engine oil level error does for the 1.5T.

The good news is if the manufacturer has done their job in engine design to account for OD... the various systems should monitor and issue an error condition long before the engine is able to self-inflict any notable damage.

One question for you..... did you check the oil level right when you received the vehicle (or within a day or so)? I ask because they do in fact sometimes over fill at both the factory and at dealers with the 1.5T. If they are over-filled by a quart (which people have reported seeing... including myself on my first dealer oil change) that will show about 10-12mm above the max line... and is really no issue. I do however find it ironic that Honda is very emphatic in their owners manuals to never over fill the oil.. yet both factory and dealers seem to do it with some regularity.

Advice: do not panic and change out your original oil early if at all possible. In looking at peoples oil analysis reports on both factory installed oil and after the factory oil is changed out... there IS notable differences in trace elements in the oil.... probably to help break-in the engine and seat all components for long life. So... only change early on that first oil if you find you have a sever OD issue to contend with.
Thanks! Unfortunately i did not check at dealer.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
How about checking the oil level frequently, to see if the level changes? Doubt +3/16” would have any adverse affect.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
Thanks! Unfortunately i did not check at dealer.
Best you can do now until the next oil service is to note the level and keep track from there. 3/16 above max is certainly nothing to worry about. Just have to check it weekly and see if you are seeing oil level move upward.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Echo?

·
Registered
17 Posts
2019 crv lx with 600 miles and noted an overfill of about 3/16 inch above top overfill hole.

I have not confirmed whether it was a factory overfill or oil dilution, but want to remove some oil while i monitor, as well as send in some oil for analysis.

Curious if there is a known overfill limit on the crv and if anyone knows good siphon with a heat safe hose.
Had an oil change 2800 km ago at the Honda dealer and they over filled it right to the top of the plastic dipstick but it hasn’t moved since . We went 10000 km on my last oil change with all winter driving and double remote starts every morning with no rise.
I’ll do my own oil changes with Honda filter from now on and let the dealer know why .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
OP - You have an LX, and live in NYC. Unless you bought it in Canada, it is the 2.4L
3/16" is a bit high. Like others have said monitor it. I have a 2015 2.4L and only minor changes since then to now with the 2.4L. Mine uses a touch of oil rather than any OD. No rise in level over 59,000mi. FWD is all I could dig up, but engine basics are valid. The Specification Tab is what you want for the engine.
https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2019/CR-V/specs#mid^RW5H3KEW
https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2015/CR-V/specs#mid^RM3H3FEW
I have never had a rise in oil, or a gas-fuel smell in the oil-dipstick. When my oil gets black and I can smell it on the dipstick when it's not in my face, I get it changed. It doesn't have much of a smell and is light colored when in good shape. I have not driven that much the last Year, and have 7.5 Months and just under 6,000 miles. Have added oil twice for a total of maybe 2/3 Quart. I was going to get it changed over a Month ago but it's in great shape still. I can clearly see the dipstick through the oil and it has a nice light color and "clean" smell. Am at 30% oil life and expect 20% very soon. Axxel6307 - best of luck and with your caution and concern your odds of being just fine in the long run are strongly in your favor.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring
60 Posts
Nothing official from Honda America, but for the CRV's in China, Honda recommends if the level hits 21mm to have the oil changed. Engine check light / stalling will occur at around 31mm.
I was really happy to see a thread on oil not locked.

This chart is what I want to base my oil decisions on.

Questions
1. This was for the China fiasco. If 30 mm, 1.2 inches above full is safe, why did they halt CRV sales?

2. Can I use this chart safely for the US market?
If I can, why were the TSB rolled out if an inch above full is acceptable?

3. Why are the dealerships not sharing this chart as it would have erased my concerns.

4. Just a statement. Oil level holding as I run 91 with 10E. If this chart is safe, I would go back to 87.

I am sure this will get locked, but honestly, just trying to find some peace of mind.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,563 Posts
30mm is considered the level you got into serious trouble. Below 21mm was ok but change the oil at or above that level. The chart is valid for the 1.5L turbo in the NA market. The Chinese government halted CRV until Honda addressed the issue. They considered anything over 5% dilution, approx 5mm, was unacceptable.
1. According to Honda, oil dilution doesn't exist in NA.
2. If you do find OD in your 1.5l turbo read statement #1.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring
60 Posts
That's what I wanted to hear. Although this logic does not really sit right with me, I will follow Hondas direction on this.

Life is too short to worry about what if's. Time to just drive what really is a pretty nice vehicle.

Thankful this thread is still open. It is nice to finally get some useful information.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,071 Posts
I've stated this in other oil related threads here:

What I have found is that the dipstick reading is higher after the engine has cooled off (not driven for hours). I believe that this means that not all of the dirty oil drains out during an oil chain procedure. I've got my mechanic trained to add no more than 3.5 quarts (1.5L turbo) when he refills. And even then, the next morning, the oil level is slightly higher than the high mark on the dip stick. I'm not concerned.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,063 Posts
As per Site Rules - this thread is well over 12 months old.

@blueclouds - we get that you are concerned with oil and associated issues, but your obsession with it and bumping old threads really helps no one.

EIther enjoy your car, especially as you have warranty if something should happen, or get rid of it because your oil paranoia isnt healthy. I mean that in the politest possible way since words can often be misconstrued etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.