Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm receiving my EX-L next week. I was looking for a specific color (exterior and interior), so had to find one that was "in route", so I had no wiggle room with the sales manager and price.

There are some options that I would like on the vehicle, but from what I've seen, they are fairly easy to install and I can save a significant amount of money if I purchase them and install myself, which I don't mind doing and should be able to do.

Here's the list of accessories I need/want:

1. Cross bars which require the roof rails to be installed.
2. Sunroof windscreen
3. Splash/mud guards
4. Possibly the hood windscreen
5. Aftermarket Class 3 hitch with wiring.

The cross bars, sunroof windscreen and splash guards seem fairly easy to install. I haven't found a good video outlining the roof rails. Has anyone installed those? Are they fairly easy or should I have the dealer install them just to avoid the grief? :)

Sunroof windscreen - I've seen a video which looks like a fairly simple install, but not having seen the mounts close up and in person, is there any reason I should have the dealer install this item? Only reason I ask, is if there's a chance of leaks... it would be covered it was dealer installed, rather than owner installed.

I like the look of the windscreen for the hood. Does anyone have this installed and if so, would you recommend it? My windshields always end up with millions of pits from high, highway speed and if it would help avoid that, then I'm definitely interested. Is it easy to install? I haven't found any videos, but figuring it's fairly easy to install.

I have another post inquiring about the aftermarket hitches and was told the U-Haul/Draw-tite doesn't require cutting into the fascia. Anyone have any thoughts on that hitch, good or bad?

Thanks in advance!

Mog

·
Registered
600 Posts
The hood and sunroof deflectors are easy to install as are the mud flaps. Order them from College Hills Honda at a discount price. I have never installed roof rails so I can't comment.

I did install the rear hatch sill protectors and changed my interior lighting and back up lights to LED and changed my fog lights to yellow Halogen bulbs and added exhaust tips myself also.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It took longer to unbox the hood deflector and read the installation instructions than it did to install it. Very easy.

I have the sunroof deflector, too, but haven't installed it yet. It's a bit more involved and I'm a legendary procrastinator. :(

·
Registered
973 Posts
"Would you?"

I wanted to install a cross bar and a roof cargo carrier but haven't found many options. Of course topside area is minimal and Honda's rail placement makes it a tad more challenging. I hope more options are available before too long.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I didn’t like the sunroof deflector. I thought the plastic was so dark it was almost black, which kind of defeats the purpose of a sunroof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered a pair of Thule bars from autoanything.com last year for my 2017 CR-V—the kind you can actually put on a naked roof which CR-Vs have had for a few years. Installed in ten minutes and I wouldn't call myself especially handy. Having a second person helps but isn't essential. Like everything else these days, if the instruction manual isn't clear, YouTube it.

When you go to the site—at least during business hours—a live person is there to assist: just give them your car make/model info and they'll literally put the right product in a shopping cart and email you. Then, ten minutes later, they'll knock the price down. It was by far the lowest price I could find. If not automatically, bargain with the guy on the other end, they want to make a sale. Shipped very quickly, no sales tax if you're not in Connecticut, free fast shipping, couldn't recommend them more.

And judging by their name, I'm sure they can hook you up with the other accessories you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
How do you like your deflector? I'm seriously thinking about one and would value your reply.
I like the looks of it.
I wish the four bolts were all made of the same material.
Two are black and two are silver, and the silver ones look out of place.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend, and may even install the moonroof visor. ( but don't hold your breath ;) )

I also have WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors, which I like very much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone.

And DeadStock, that's what I'm leaning towards. Having the rails installed and possibly the trailer hitch. I'm going for the Draw-tite/U-haul hitch to avoid cutting the fascia and if U-haul will install it for around $150, I'll let them do it. Otherwise I'll do the hitch as well. The main thing I was concerned with was the rails, but I'll have the dealer install them to avoid the hassle :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone.

And DeadStock, that's what I'm leaning towards. Having the rails installed and possibly the trailer hitch. I'm going for the Draw-tite/U-haul hitch to avoid cutting the fascia and if U-haul will install it for around $150, I'll let them do it. Otherwise I'll do the hitch as well. The main thing I was concerned with was the rails, but I'll have the dealer install them to avoid the hassle :)
I had UHaul install my hitch, for $135 including tax and unlimited rust warranty ($5), I did not get the wiring as mine is used for bikes. Go to the website you can get a quote which I think included a $10 discount, and set up an appointment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks TLC!

That's really good to know. I just checked and it's $155 (with unlimited warranty) for the hitch and $289 for the hitch and wiring installed.

Mog

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hood and sunroof deflectors are easy to install as are the mud flaps. Order them from College Hills Honda at a discount price. I have never installed roof rails so I can't comment.

I did install the rear hatch sill protectors and changed my interior lighting and back up lights to LED and changed my fog lights to yellow Halogen bulbs and added exhaust tips myself also.
Thanks Jeff! I was looking at Honda cheap parts and College Hills Honda saves me $100 on the parts shipped.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I like the looks of it.
I wish the four bolts were all made of the same material.
Two are black and two are silver, and the silver ones look out of place.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend, and may even install the moonroof visor. ( but don't hold your breath ;) )

I also have WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors, which I like very much.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

When I purchase one I'll look into painting the silver bolts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
May I install THULE cargo box # 869 on my Honda 2017 CRV Touring OEM roof rails? Does this THULE cargo box model #869 fit the roof rails of 2017 CRV? Is it easy to install it? Which is your suggested good cargo box for this vehicle at a reasonable cost?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I installed the door frame mounted factory Honda wind deflectors a couple of weeks ago (ordered online and installed myself). I have aftermarket ones on my 2003 Accord and like being able to crack a window or two when the car is parked so I got them for my CR-V. They are not necessarily difficult to install but the fact that the majority of the connection between the deflector and your door is via adhesive, you do need to be careful with positioning and then mounting as you can’t necessarily re-do it if you find the positioning is off. The instructions (which are written for a dealer mechanic/tech and not necessarily a customer) also indicate that the two snap connectors that connect the deflector to a metal bracket which fits into the window rubber seal cannot be removed once snapped into place, which means you also have to be extra careful.

My Accord has Weathertech brand deflectors, which are also very nice and well made, but I did not go with Weathertech this time because of how they are installed: the deflector has a thin inside edge that is shoved into the window’s weather stripping, so that when your window is closed the deflector is wedged between your window and the rubber, which I think overtime can be bad for the rubber.

However, the factory deflectors are VERY dark, way darker than weather tech. I have found that the only light that actually gets through is direct sunlight. For all intents and purposes, it’s basically just black. Whereas the Weathertech deflectors just come across as a dark tint and you can easily see through them in most lighting, even at night. The Honda factor deflectors are also larger, covering more of the window. Overall I do like the Honda ones for it’s mounting design and the fact that it is a factory product.

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
668 Posts
My Accord has Weathertech brand deflectors, which are also very nice and well made, but I did not go with Weathertech this time because of how they are installed: the deflector has a thin inside edge that is shoved into the window’s weather stripping, so that when your window is closed the deflector is wedged between your window and the rubber, which I think overtime can be bad for the rubber.
I think the in-channel deflectors put too much pressure and I think that it could cause the motors to work harder than they should. On the other hand, I also object to sticking anything with 3M tape.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I've had Weathertech's on all of my CR-Vs and never had a window motor fail, nor a window fail to close.

Edit: did a few Google searches, and only found two complaints about them, and I'm not positive they were about Weathertech as both mentioned using double side tape to install them, and that the tape eventually failed and they fell off.

The sites that had customer reviews all had cumulative ratings of 4.5 or 4.7 stars out of 5 stars.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've never had an issue with 3m. On my Element that's how the door visors are installed. I'm on my 2nd set. 1st set came off no problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts