Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a 2000 SE since '03. It now has around 177,000 miles on it.
It's really nice and my wife loves it but it's coming to a point where I either need to address some engine issues (head job) and all the things that will be forthcoming or seek out a nice Gen 2.
I say Gen 2 because she doesn't like the later Generations, preferring the more square back and taller stance as well as the swing out tail gate.
The costs would be about the same. Her car plus +- $3,000 for a nice Gen 2 with about 120,000 on it here in Metro Denver or put +- $2500 into her car.

The physical differences are apparent and I know it's a different motor...would like to know how owners feel about the performance comfort and other considerations.

Thanks!!
Lew

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I had a 1st Gen 1999 CR-V EX with the 5 speed manual transmission. I drove it for 10 years and then a friend bought it.
I replaced it with a 2nd Gen 2006 CR-V EX 5 speed manual that I bought in 2009 when it was three years old.
I drove the 2006 for 5 years and traded it in on a 2014.

I think the 1999 was more "fun" to drive and the 2006 was a bit more...refined.
And I'm really not sure I like that word, but the 2006 rode better, was quieter, and had more comfortable seats.
The 2006 felt like it had a little more power, but the actual HP difference of the engines is only about 10 hp, and the 2006 weighs about 300 lbs more.

I would recommend a 2005 or 2006, which has 16" wheels and larger brake discs then the 2002-2004 CR-Vs, which came with 15" wheels.

Most times I liked the swing out tailgate, unless I was parallel parked, in which case the 2006 tailgate opened the wrong way. But the 1999 was the same way.

And while the glass does open on the 2006 tailgate, I didn't find it to be nearly as useful as opening the glass on the 1999. The glass is smaller, and the bottom edge is higher off the ground.

I can understand about the 3rd Gens, as I never liked the look of the front bumper and grill.
That's one of the reasons I looked for a used 2nd Gen when I decided it was time to sell the 1999 CR-V.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for this. Any reduction in road noise would be a blessing :)
Interesting about the rear door glass. We really find the door/glass arrangement on the Gen 1 very useful. Interesting as well that you'd opt for the '14. How do you like that in comparison?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I love my 2014 EX, but miss having a manual transmission.
I also really like having the backup camera, although when it's snowing or raining I have to remember to clean it off.
I've gotten used to the lift up tailgate. The glass does not open.

The seats in the 2014 are at least as comfortable as the 2006, and I think the interior may be a bit quieter.

I replaced the original single DIN radio and pocket in my 1999 EX with a double DIN unit from a newer CR-V in order to have both a CD and cassette player. I also replaced all four speakers in the 1999 with better aftermarket speakers (I think they were Sonys). I thought a few times about upgrading the speakers in the 2006, but never did.
I haven't considered any speaker upgrades in the 2014, as I find the sound quality is fine for me. I like the steering wheel mounted audio and cruise controls.

I like the center storage console, and that it has a power outlet inside the storage console. There's also one next to the cup holders.
I use a Garmin GPS with a cheap mount that clips into one of the air vents on the dash. I plug it's power cord into the power outlet in the storage console, so that when I make a stop I can unclip the GPS from the mount and drop it into the storage area with the cable still attached, and then close the lid so it's out of sight.

Fuel mileage around town isn't very good, but then I don't drive it every day, and most of my in town trips are less than 2 miles so I think my experience is unusual.
A couple of times a month I make a highway trip that's about 90 miles round trip, and get close to 30 mpg if I keep the speed to 65 mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the wayback cargo capacity comparable to the '06? As accessible? I look at the later Generations and think they're more car-like...lower to the ground which is the antithesis of what makes the early generations attractive to me. Higher seat position..better visibility.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I did a quick web search on "2000 honda cr-v cargo dimensions" and the same search for 2006 and 2014.

2000 - 29.6 ft³, 67.2 ft³ with seat area

2006 - 33.5 ft³, 72 ft³ with seat area

2014 - 37.2 ft³, 70.9 ft³ with seat area

So the 2014 has a little more room behind the seats, but the 2006 has slightly room with the seats folded down.

And a way to visualize the 8 ft³ difference between the 2000 and 2014?
A box that is 2 feet on each side has a volume of 8 ft³.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts