Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 07' CR-V and had it wired for a trailer. I used it once and never did again until recently. I got a boat and trailer and started pulling it around with my CR-V. Originally, everything worked fine but eventually, things started to get worse. As I would push on the break, it would cause all the displays in my vehicle to dim, this later started making my DII(Driver Information Interface) go haywire anytime I would push on the breaks. Now, even without the trailer connected and wired, the DII is permanently*messed up.* Thanks for any help!

dash.jpg

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
either the adapter or more likely the trailer wiring is messed up. I had the same problem on my 2003. The adapters you buy aftermarket seem to suck horribly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Yup. You might try uninstalling your current trailer wiring setup and installing the OEM/factory trailer wiring harness, and doing a hard reboot/reset of your car. If that does not fix it there may have been permanent damage caused to the dash control module or one of the components that feeds it by some anomaly such as a double ground loop, or a wire connected in such a way that it fed power into a wire in the harness that is not supposed to have power.

If you do end up having to replace that dash control module, the new part is close to $800!, without installation, so I'd recommend a used one from a wrecking yard.

My '07 came from the original owner with an aftermarket trailer wiring harness that was installed where she bought the Curt hitch, and the car was used to pull a U-haul trailer 1600 miles. I have not tried to pull a trailer with it, though I might in the future, but it seems to have been done correctly, as I have not seen any glitch or hiccup. You could try taking it back to the folks that installed it and asking them to fix what they did wrong, but the flaw in that concept is that they may not have a clue. Another possible solution might be to find a (hopefully) more knowledgeable installer at a shop that does these installs and see if he can figure it out. Good luck and keep us posted on how this works out. Hopefully it will turn out to be something simple and not priced like brain surgery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses and I oddly enough have great news. Aside from un-plugging the harness and seeing if that helped it (which it didn't) and plugging it back in, I didn't do anything at all and on Sunday, when I cranked it up, it was working. Even with the trailer plugged in, it is no longer cutting out when I apply the breaks. I don't know what to say. Just giving an update.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Well, then, I'd say that only leaves witchcraft. You should be okay, just don't drive the car at midnight on full moons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts