Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Have a 2005 V with 178K. Overheated and then started losing water, Engine stumbles on starting but then smoothes out until I stop, then after sitting it stumbles again for a few seconds on starting. Runs great except for stumbling.
Seems like a classic head gasket leak so I took it into a reputable local mechanic. He removed the plugs and scoped the cylinders. His findings were Cyl 1 scored, Cyl 2-4 coolant etched.
Recommended replacing engine with used engine for $4k. This seems like a radical cure. Can't I just replace the Head gasket? How critical is coolant etching of cylinder walls. It still runs fine. Should I check compression? Then go from there? What should compression be for an engine with 178K on it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I wouldn't waste my money on just doing a head gasket in that engine. It needs to be fully rebuilt, especially if the cylinder is scored. It will eventually become an oil burner and then you'll be back where you are now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you going to keep the car much longer? If so , the used engine route is probably the best route. I have replaced blown head gasket on V8 engines with good results but the vehicles were not driven much after the head gasket failed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
it's better you find one engine from scrap already your present one runs 178k. But before check the heads and pistons if its not affected by the gasket leak then you are safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts