Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my 98 CR-V and its been tough to pinpoint what it may actually be. It appears that I am leaking oil and engine coolant from somewhere, its been nearly impossible to pinpoint the leak from looking under the hood so it doesn't appear to be any of the largely exposed hoses. I've checked for several symptoms of a head gasket issue such as contaminants in my coolant over over flow tank, contaminants when checking my oil, air filter and even looking to see if there is visible smoke or a burning smell coming from the exhaust. None of those symptoms point towards a blown head gasket. As probably obvious from this post I'm not as knowledgeable on these cars. I'm looking to take it to a mechanic tomorrow but are there any other ways I might be able to check myself for what it might be?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Radiators are known to leak, but the coolant usually leaves behind a dried salty look as it evaporates.

Oil can leak from several places, but that is usually pretty easy to see. There is a plastic cap on the side of the engine covering the front cam shaft and there is the distributor covering the rear camshaft. The corners of the valve cover gasket can leak. The oil pressure sensor that is down by the oil filter is another known item to leak. Even the oil drain plug itself can leak.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Don't forget about the o-ring on the distributor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new on here and just wanted to know if there are any threads specific to Portland for CRV owners? I am about to begin the mission of replacing my head gasket and I would love to chat with local DIY mechanics about the job. Thanks so much

·
Registered
81 Posts
have you done a compression test? thats the first thing id do if i thought i might have a blown head gasket.

as far as other random oil and coolant leeks, good idea to thoroughly clean the engine (a slef service car wash works good) then park it over some clean cardboard and idle it while keeping an eye on it. hopefully you can see where the oil or coolant is leaking from, or see some drips on the cardboard to give you a better idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts