Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few months I've had replaced - 5 Motor Mounts, both Front CV Joints, 2 front Tires, have an unidentifiable Oil leak, all door - hood - trunk seals are bad so after raining its musty inside, and the Air Conditioner motor kit. The car has been overheating quickly, and then dies in traffic. So have replaced the battery, radiator, several hoses, freon, water, oil . . . all of this done by mechanics.
To even find out if its the seal will be several hundred dollars for a mechanic to take it apart. Guessing I could do that since I'm stranded anyway.
Is it even worth it? Of course, have no money for another vehicle! Help? Ideas?
Thanks greatly!

·
Registered
55 Posts
In the last few months I've had replaced - 5 Motor Mounts, both Front CV Joints, 2 front Tires, have an unidentifiable Oil leak, all door - hood - trunk seals are bad so after raining its musty inside, and the Air Conditioner motor kit. The car has been overheating quickly, and then dies in traffic. So have replaced the battery, radiator, several hoses, freon, water, oil . . . all of this done by mechanics.
To even find out if its the seal will be several hundred dollars for a mechanic to take it apart. Guessing I could do that since I'm stranded anyway.
Is it even worth it? Of course, have no money for another vehicle! Help? Ideas?
Thanks greatly!
Your horse had a broken leg -- can't ride it and to expensive to feed a worthless pony. Shoot it and stop the losses !!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If it's overheating then I would suspect the head gasket is leaking and the head is warped. Honda engines do not survive overheating all that well. If caught early enough and shut down before the temperature gets too hot, it's fine. But if the overheating is causing it to stall, then there's some major engine work ahead.

The head gasket is an easy but tedious job (there is a lot to disconnect to get to it), and needs specific procedures and tools to do it correctly. The head also needs to be sent out to be machined so the mounting surface is flat again, if it is not too badly warped. This is definitely a DIY job--having a mechanic do it would mean it costs more to repair than the CR-V is worth. Mechanically "totalled" in other words.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts