Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did my first beginning to end oil cycle for the 03 I got last fall. Sent it into Blackstone and I get this email "We'll cut to the chase...there's a lot of coolant in your oil". Damn! I got this lil CR-V to be my daily driver while I fix up my 4runner, which also has a head gasket issue. I can't catch a break! I looked into parts and it seems like head gasket kits, including bolts, aren't all that expensive for these Vs. I couldn't find a good video online however. I only found a 1st gen video detailing it. I don't want to spend too much time and money on this V but I need it to be reliable until my 4runner's up and running. Anyone have input for this job? Is it as easy as it seems by looking at the parts and the engine layout?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and for parts, if I do this, I'm not shelling out $250 for the Honda OEM gasket kit. I'm looking at the Enginetech $91 with bolts unless I get convinced otherwise. For fluids I'm religious on Honda, but metal shims and silicone o rings can't have THAT much of a difference. Again, unless I'm convinced.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I gotcha. I didn't do any diagnostics. I have a bad o2 code but figured that was the actual sensor and was going to put the adapter on to push the sensor put. But now I'm thinking it's been registering bad bc of this. I don't think anyones messing with me. My 4runnner gasket was last summer. And I could have purchased this crv with it for all I know. It's had that 02 sensor thing since then

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll be damned. 165-170 psi on all four. No dropping either when I let it sit a minute before disconnecting. Spark plugs look super tiny. Gotta get new ones for sure. But shoot what now?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well I'll be damned. 165-170 psi on all four. No dropping either when I let it sit a minute before disconnecting. Spark plugs look super tiny. Gotta get new ones for sure. But shoot what now?
Was it a compression tester or leakdown tester? Compression tester holds within the gauge, Leak down looks for valve leaks, etc. Compressed air used

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used a compression tester. I have a leakdown as well but didn't use it since nothing was low.
As for cooling system pressure tester, I'd have to rent that. But also...how would that get into the oil?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm...would that be like through a hose leak, then dripping down into a bad oil pan seal? Seems like a rare occurence. One thing online says intake manifold, but I don't see how. it's an air intake, where would coolant be near that?
The oil isn't milky or anything. I see online that can be a sign of coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes this is how I know of the coolant. It's from my Blackstone test. I did a leakdown test before on my toyota showing a head gasket leak between neighboring cylinders. I'll refresh my brain and see if I remember how to do one.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts