Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 EX-L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A minor annoyance for us was the position of the headrests. They seem to touch the back of the head all the time, much as the headrests in an aircraft. I found that they can be removed and reinserted so that the front (prior back side) of the headrest is now about 1" farther back and no longer touches the head. They still lock in place and would only allow a minimal movement of the head in the event of a rear-end collision. I know they are probably mandated to be in a certain position but the headrests in our old MDX were farther back and we liked the location much better.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
Headrest design changed a few years ago to reduce head and neck injuries.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,640 Posts
I've always found the headrest comfortable.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I've always found the headrest comfortable.
Same Here!
I would not turn them around because in a accident they may not act as intended. Neck injuries are probably the number one thing that can happen to people during a small to mid size accident.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,034 Posts
We were looking at new sedans several yrs ago and looked at a Hyundai Sonata. It was a redesign yr and the forward headrest thing was just starting. We liked the car but complained to the salesman about the headrests. He said well, you can turn them around, I've known other people who have done that. Maybe so, but I wasn't about to pay a lot of money for a car to have to do that to. Besides, I'm sure the dealership lawyers would not be happy if there was an accident and were told that the salesman said it was ok.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
And yet, on some cars the headrests are adjustable forward to back. The '17 Tucson that we replaced with the CR-V had them: 3 positions forward, middle and back. Thought that was a nice feature.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
is it possible to adjust by a vice the two bars some what?

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,034 Posts
Yeah, we had a lowly Jetta once and it had the 3 position feature. That, the Monsoon radio and the paint quality were the only things I liked about that car. Wife's not mine.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
in a accident they will not act as intended
FTFY. Seriously.
Yes seriously!
All new cars use powered tensioners on the seat belts to keep you in place as much as possible during an accident.
The headrest may be curved at the back and flat on the front. Do you want your neck hitting the curved surface or the flat? Bonded between the two posts must be some sort of stiff sofa type wire to prevent it from breaking in half. Is that metal closer to the back or the front and which side has more padding and is the padding the same kind of material or do they use a special kind where your head or neck would impact?

We know they spend a lot of time looking at the high speed footage of crash tests and examine the stress sensors in the neck area of the dummies to minimize neck injuries by adjusting the design. I am not sure what goes into the design but I would not be taking a chance in flipping it around.

Anyway as one poster said flip them around and see what the insurance company has to say if you have an accident. Your just feeding them a lot of ammo if a court case comes into play.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The headrest may be curved at the back and flat on the front. Do you want your neck hitting the curved surface or the flat?
It's not just the shape of the cushion pointing at your head. The thing that bothers people and gets them to do stuff like this is the distance from back of head to restraint. This distance effects how far back your head tips on your neck before being restrained. The amount of damage to your neck and brain is a function of this distance, among other things. Head restraints were put there in the first place to reduce that travel. At some point, this distance is so large you might as well just take them out for all the good they will do you in a crash.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The wife took her first long drive in the CR-V. First request, remove the rear head rests so I can see! Why would you want to see? They are there for the protection of the rear seat passengers. Well, because there is NO ONE there and these are way to high and in the way! Good point. I had to agree in my short test drive. I've never had a car where the rear vision was so blinded by head rests.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
It's not just the shape of the cushion pointing at your head. The thing that bothers people and gets them to do stuff like this is the distance from back of head to restraint. This distance effects how far back your head tips on your neck before being restrained. The amount of damage to your neck and brain is a function of this distance, among other things. Head restraints were put there in the first place to reduce that travel. At some point, this distance is so large you might as well just take them out for all the good they will do you in a crash.
I get what your saying and agree on the comfort issue, but one has to weigh comfort versus safety. From high speed footage of head on collisions that I have looked at the person seems to get flung up and forward then comes downward and slams into the back of the seat. Who knows what goes into the design, I suspect they look at the optimal point to catch the back of your head factoring in your weight pressing downward and back. I assume it's complicated to get it right and some companies try to and others do not. Hence some companies strive to get 5 star ratings and other companies don't even seem to care.

As for visibility, the only thing that bothers me is the rear middle headrest. I leave it down unless needed. I find the visibility to be good in the CR-V but then again I am use to driving older sports cars that have really poor rear visibility, so anything is better than that.

Rob

·
Registered
251 Posts
but then again I am use to driving older sports cars that have really poor rear visibility, so anything is better than that.
But given that picture, you can't be too old. Rob, I just signed up here but I can see you are passionate about CR-Vs. Being a lover of older sports cars I have ask. What older sports cars?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Nissan 300zx which was my first great love when I was around 20.
Later on got into the RX7 but it was a problem child!

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
So that is our first thing I have to do is remove the rear head rest. and the killer now is they are permantally in the rear no longer able to remove.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So that is our first thing I have to do is remove the rear head rest. and the killer now is they are permantally in the rear no longer able to remove.
Huh? I take the rear head rests out frequently. It's the only the way to flatten down the rear seat backs when using the entire cargo area.

·
Registered
522 Posts
FTFY. Seriously.
Ok, Ok, I have Googled "FTFY" and saw some shocking definitions, but surely that isn't want you meant. Could someone please explain what FTFY means before I have to ask my granddaughter?

·
Registered
103 Posts
FTFY. Seriously.
Ok, Ok, I have Googled "FTFY" and saw some shocking definitions, but surely that isn't want you meant. Could someone please explain what FTFY means before I have to ask my granddaughter?
My best guess is "fixed that for you" since he changed the word "may" to "will" in the quote. Which, really isn't a quote anymore if words are changed ?

Anyway, like I said, that's my best guess.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The wife took her first long drive in the CR-V. First request, remove the rear head rests so I can see! Why would you want to see? They are there for the protection of the rear seat passengers. Well, because there is NO ONE there and these are way to high and in the way! Good point. I had to agree in my short test drive. I've never had a car where the rear vision was so blinded by head rests.
We also took our out and save them in a bag in the back as we are retired and have no grand kids or anyone that sits back there....if someone needs to sit back there.... it easy to put them back in.......vision without them is awesome

1 - 20 of 43 Posts