Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the head unit software update completed this morning. There's a ton of questions about it so I thought I would post some facts on how to get it and some of the changes to the system.

Question 1: How do I know that I need it?

You must have a specific repeatable problem, which is ONLY that the brightness controls of the head unit are broken. The head unit will be stuck at full brightness day and night. If you don't have this issue, Honda will not give it to you. It is only for the specified symptom, and generally it isn't well known nor will dealers just install it if you come with other head unit problems.

Question 2: I have the head unit brightness problem, how do I get the update?

Honda makes this difficult. First, you need to take an active (and courteous) role in helping your dealer diagnose. Let them know there is a service news article about the issue (not TSB) and that you think it applies. Suggest that they chat with the Honda tech line as well. The July 2018 service news article number is: "A18070I Version 1". It is attached in the next post to this message. Notice the ambiguity... It isn't surprising that dealers have been inconsistent in their approaches.

The dealer will probably not jump directly to a USB fix. They should order a new head unit. Let this happen.

Honda will likely cancel the order within a day or so and at that point you might need to offer the suggestion again to review the service news article, call the tech line and inquire about the software update mentioned in the article.

At this point, as long as they are following through, you should receive an appointment for the software update.

This whole process took me 13 days from my original diagnostic appointment to the day of the software update.

Question 3: what to expect?

The appointment took an hour total. The brightness controls work. Software numbers change which you can go verify. There is a new kernel build date, new software build number and many app version numbers changed:

Old Build Number 1.F193.03:

New Build Number 1.F196.82:

Additionally, many individual applications within the Android OS were updated. I didn't check everything but I verified quite a few before it became tedious. For example, see below:

Before, version 4.2.2-3:

After, version 4.2.2-32:

I can't speak to general stability or other fixes beyond the brightness fix, but it does seem like more than just one or two things were updated.

Of note, Android auto version was not updated. Only apks that start with 4.2.2-3 were. Android auto was and remains at 1.0 (as well as a few other miscellaneous apks)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Awesome post, thank you!

I just hope people read it carefully and don't just insist that they 'deserve' the update.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome post, thank you!

I just hope people read it carefully and don't just insist that they 'deserve' the update.
Yes, agreed. Whether or not Honda should proactively install it on vehicles is a totally different question. As it stands it's only for 2017s with a specific issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for posting your detailed experience.

Did they write in your Invoice what all they did(Part numbers ordered if any)? If you can post it masking your personal details, that would be great.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for posting your detailed experience.

Did they write in your Invoice what all they did(Part numbers ordered if any)? If you can post it masking your personal details, that would be great.
Good idea. It's in the car now, but if it has anything of use I'll blind and post it.

UPDATE: done

·
Registered
51 Posts
It should also be noted that strange Bluetooth connectivity issues with my iPhone, and CarPlay disconnecting randomly and unwilling to pair up without rebooting the radio was fixed by this update.

The dealer will first be asked to remove fuses and allow the system to discharge. That takes a half hour, and in my case made no difference. And from what I can tell, eventually everyone with the 2016 software build will have the brightness issue. It took my friends CR-V about a year after I started having the brightness issue for his to present the same problem. But his doesn't have the CarPlay issues I went through, so there might be a hardware timing issue involved that the new software compensates for, his car is a few months newer than mine. I was blaming cables, thinking I hit a bump in the road and it was loose or something. But the problem followed many cable changes and a upgrade to iPhone 8.

I never seem to get paperwork when any of these fixes are done at the dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 1st thing I noticed on my drive home from taking delivery of my CPO '17 CR-V Touring was that the central screen was unusually bright. Had the dealer take a look, and the 1st thing they came back with was that a new unit would have to be ordered. Calling a few days later to see if they received the part, they said that the order was cancelled by Honda, and that they would be sending a software update. I brought it in, they applied the update, and all is as it should be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for this very informative post. I am going to be contacting a different dealership to try to get my issue resolved, as my current issue isn't being taken care of by the dealership I bought my car from.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So why can't one diagnose and update using the HondLink APP? Dealer told me this was possible but I don't see this in the APP. I think I'll send some "Customer Feedback" though the APP. It has that function.

·
Registered
618 Posts
So why can't one diagnose and update using the HondLink APP? Dealer told me this was possible but I don't see this in the APP. I think I'll send some "Customer Feedback" though the APP. It has that function.
Honda link for crv is a joke... It actually does stuff in other models but does little in crv

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for this very informative post. I am going to be contacting a different dealership to try to get my issue resolved, as my current issue isn't being taken care of by the dealership I bought my car from.
Good luck. I added a redacted invoice on the second post, hopefully you can go in better armed and more importantly your second dealer does a better job communicating with the tech line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked my HU for 2018 CR-V built in September.
It has the same model number, Android and Kernel version
But kernel was built in Web Mar 14 13:20:49 JST 2018
Build Number: 1.F1A2.34

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked my HU for 2018 CR-V built in September.
It has the same model number, Android and Kernel version
But kernel was built in Web Mar 14 13:20:49 JST 2018
Build Number: 1.F1A2.34
Thanks - I knew there is at least one other version out there, as I don't think the 2018s have the web browser icon visible in the apps screen, however mine was and is still there. Wonder if there's other 2018 and 2019 versions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My local dealership keeps giving me the runaround with this problem. I just spoke with one of the advisors at my dealership and he told me his hands are tied until Honda releases a TSB for this issue. I tried explaining to him that the dealership needs to call Honda themselves to get the firmware update, and he keeps telling me that when the new screen was ordered and cancelled that the USB drive would be sent out, but that was almost 2 months ago.

I wish I had a dealer that could get this done in 13 days lol... Sorry for the venting guys, just frustrating to deal with.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
i just want my HU flashing - brightness, menus, goes dark - fixed. likes to happen on longer trips after about 1 1/2 hrs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service news article

Dealer invoice for usb update

Great post. I am having this exact issue of not being able to dim the screen. I wonder if this is free only if it is under warranty. My warranty is now up and I wonder if there is a way I can do this myself or if not what the cost will be.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hmmm... I'd call Honda "In-car Technology Support" with the TSB in-hand and ask them what to do. You obviously don't want to risk actually paying for a new unit when all you need is the stupid USB stick to be sent to the dealer for the update. (888) 528-7876

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
95 Posts
I just purchased a new Honda CRV 2019 two weeks ago and these are the below details. Can you'll guys please confirm whether I have the latest version in my infotainment system or not?

Android 4.2.2
Kernel version : 3.1.10+
Build Number : 1.F196.83

1 - 20 of 22 Posts