Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't restart my phone unless it is needed. Why should I? If the unit can't handle the connection properly I shouldn't restart my phone - the manufacturer should fix his bugs.
But the unit - shouldn't be shut down every time the car is off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you sound very receptive to help & suggestions:rolleyes:
I'm a SW engineer. Reboot sounds to me like a lazy solution to a bug that needs to be fixed.

But, do you think rebooting the phone weekly would help?
I was on a very long drive. The iPhone [8] was providing the map and podcasts. The unit would complain periodically that the connection was off. And it froze a couple of times. I did reboot the unit (hold the power button for a while). However, once it froze so much that even that didn't work. I couldn't really reboot my phone while driving.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
One its always good to do a hard reboot on a phone every once in a while. As for the headunit there are a few tsbs but like when you change your battery a hard reset clears the errors sometimes.

ive seen others have issues when not cleaning properly that smudges will trigger it going in ans out.

ours has been pretty solid over 2 yrs.
one day i had the random ghost button selections but cleaned it and never happened again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like BoostedV said, it's good to restart/reboot your phone every now and then. It resets the RAM, just like on a computer. I'm sure you've noticed that, if you leave your computer on for a long time, it gets slower. Once you've rebooted it, it tends to speed up as you get all the crap in the RAM out of there. Your phone and the head unit are both computers, plain and simple.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Like BoostedV said, it's good to restart/reboot your phone every now and then. It resets the RAM, just like on a computer. I'm sure you've noticed that, if you leave your computer on for a long time, it gets slower. Once you've rebooted it, it tends to speed up as you get all the crap in the RAM out of there. Your phone and the head unit are both computers, plain and simple.

Wouldn't it 'reset' the ram when you turn your car off? How would the application still be loaded into RAM when the car is off?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Normally it's just in sleep mode when the car is off.

Reactions: lmaxim

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,766 Posts
Hold the volume/power knob down till you get the screen showing you the option to reset the system ("Yes" / "No" ).

And presto!

Reactions: MsRenay and strimby

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,475 Posts
That is just plain sad. It seems that HONDA is working really hard to convince me to purchase a Tesla.
base model 3 is $40k
base crv fwd is $25k

not in the same class & also honda doesn't make the radio updates its from the manufacturer ... albeit with that said the infotainment shouldnt have been carried over to the 2020

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
That is just plain sad. It seems that HONDA is working really hard to convince me to purchase a Tesla.
You do know that CarPlay is all in Apples court.. right? All the Honda HeadUnit does is provide the core interface to the CarPlay interface standard provided by Apple. The HeadUnit interfact It is a pretty low level software interface. The real brains (and disfunction) of CarPlay is all in the phone... and with so many different iOS release levels and generations of iPhones.. it's an ongoing problem. AND... people have been reporting issues with CarPlay, and their phones, and HeadUnits.. ALL over the industry... so this is not a Honda only issue per se.

Some people seem to think that a vehicle HeadUnit is meant to be kept up to latest OS (most of them run on old Android release levels), apps, etc.... like Phones are expected to be... and this simply IS NOT a correct thought process. In fact.. other then a software update to fix an actual bug in the HeadUnit operation (and there have been a couple for gen5 CRVs ... they are meant to operate on static release level software for the life of the vehicle. For the persistent and insistent owner ----> HondaHack.

You know what though... vehicle manufacturers are getting tired of all the mismatch in owner expectations vs design intent.. and what they are migrating to.. is NO head unit at all.. and the owner will simply have to pair a phone or a tablet to the vehicle to access all the core feature setting and owner adjustment interface needed for the vehicle.. and for apps, etc... that will be completely in the owners court for whatever tablet or phone they are using. This is already underway in the Japan market... and will proliferate world wide within a few years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You do know that CarPlay is all in Apples court.. right? All the Honda HeadUnit does is provide the core interface to the CarPlay interface standard provided by Apple. The HeadUnit interfact It is a pretty low level software interface.
Not true, at least in my experience. I have a 2018 Touring and it exhibited all these problems. Honda did a firmware update to the head unit and now.... CarPlay works perfectly above 45-50 mph (driving long distance all day), but the head unit goes black and disconnects from the phone under that speed regularly - every 5-10 minutes! Pulling the lightning cable out and re-inserting usually fixes it now, but it did not before the firmware update. My wife bought a 2019 RAV4 XLE a few months ago - ZERO problems with CarPlay with either of our iPhone 8’s. This is ALL on Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having trouble with my 2018 head unit and CarPlay. After researching I found out that using a damaged lightning cord can cause trouble. I started using a new cable and my CarPlay issues disappeared. Not a single issue for months now.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
My ‘09 EX had no compatible/CarPlay unit - I installed an Eclipse 5030 (taken from my ‘04 when I traded) and loved the sound but advances in Bluetooth led me to upgrading.

I bought a Kenwood via Crutchfield and it works extremely well with my iPhone XS. The only niggle I have is that after an iOS update it’s usually necessary to delete the Kenwood from CarPlay and reconnect, which takes less than a minute.

IMO, I would not count on Honda making any significant updates to their head units. After all, they don’t manufacture the units - I’m not sure who the OEM is. So we’re talking about another layer of communication and engineering, etc.

I‘m not saying Kenwood is the only option. I bought it because it had two USB connections, one of which is for CarPlay. That meant my wife could also be connected on the other USB cable and play her tunes when we are on a trip. I believe JVC, Pioneer, Sony and others make CarPlay units that may have other/additional features that might be important. My Kenwood seems to drive the stock speakers well even without an external amp. I’ll probably upgrade the speaker drivers in the next few months, but for now I can live with the stock speakers.

A couple of months ago I added an inexpensive 3rd party backup camera, purchased from Amazon that works very well; the video quality is better than the camer in my wife’s ‘15 Fit, so all in all I’m pretty satisfied.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 49 Posts