Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I know that I'm trying to do isn't advisable, but I'm trying to do it anyway. I want to upgrade my 2014 crv ex non Nav to the 2015 touchscreen head unit. The main reason being that there is a firmware update for the 2015 head unit that makes it Apple car play compatible. I've never been a big fan of aftermarket stereos especially with the iMid being a different look than the aftermarket UIs. And I love this car. I dont want to spend a ton of money just to get Carplay. I'll post here the research Ive found to hopefully help soneone else that might try to do this and not have to hunt so much. Also, it would be great to get some tips for adding an amp.

I bought the 2015 head unit on eBay for $170
just to test things out I removed the 2014 and popped in the 2015. obviously, there were a few incompatibilities and missing cables. The stereo powers up just fine and you can interact with it.

ISSUES:
  • The radio sound was super quiet. I think because it needs an amplifier I believe the 2014 stereo had the amp built-in.
  • The imid display does not turn off and would drain the battery.
  • USB and HDMI cables aren't there.
  • The cable connector for the optional xm receiver isn't compatible with any of the connectors on the 2015 head unit (without being adapted).
  • The backup camera picture remains on the iMID.
Possible Fixes:
The easy stuff.
  • The USB / HDMI cables are available on Amazon (the USB cables are listed as a Toyota part but work just fine in a CRV.)
  • USB CABLES - Axxess AX-TOYUSB. It is a short cable and you will need a usb extension cable.
  • HDMI Cable - HDMI 1.4 Type E Male to Type A. I picked up an HDMI coupler just to give me more options.
The Not so Easy stuff. From this point what I'm sharing is theoretical and based on my research. please let me know if you see something wrong and I will make a correction.

The IMid doesn't turn off. from what I have found, largely through other posts on this site is that the Imid is not turning off because it is not receiving a signal from the head unit. From user BigMo
"Let me give a brief description on how the iMID is turned ON and OFF.​
The iMID places a 10v reference voltage on the PINK wire at all times. When the radio is turned ON in the background via the BCAN network, the radio then GROUNDS the PINK wire.[...]Now why did I bring up the HFL and XM units? They are all on this same "trigger" wire and all are woken up the same way! ".​
So, I'm guessing that the XM/BCAN/GAnet cable that connected to the old stereo is still needed to turn the iMid on and off. So that means we need to make an adapter cable. I haven't been able to find any pre-crimped or adapter cable to the 2015 stereo connector. I was however able to identify the specific connector needed and where to buy it.​

Pins that will need to be crimped M34S75C4F1. Difficult to crimp buy extra!​
Other potentially helpful connectors while I'm at it. I'm not to this point of problem-solving.​
My plan is to make Adapter cables. The only issue im running into is the Amplifyer Im a little stumped. I have no idea how to integrate an amplifier into the current system in a clean way. Does anyone have any tips? Is anyone else trying this or did it successfully? am I missing anything?

Helpful resources:

Info on the Firmware update that enables Apple carplay on the CRV

pinout for 2014 CRV headunit

·
Registered
2016 CR-V SE
65 Posts
If you can make this work, I am interested too. As to the amp issue. I think the 2015/16 EX units do NOT need an Amp. The EX-L and up need an amp if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can make this work, I am interested too. As to the amp issue. I think the 2015/16 EX units do NOT need an Amp. The EX-L and up need an amp if I am not mistaken.
I’ll keep you posted. If I could find a wiring diagram for a 2015 crv ex with nav I think that I would be home free. I’m so close I can taste it. From what I understand the 2015/16 crv with the navigation screen have an amp but the Lowe trims with the CD player non touch stereo had the amp built into the stereo. So in my case with the 2014 crv ex, I don’t have the touch screen. So I need to install an amp...if I’m not mistaken.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to step back from the project for a few months because I’m also remodeling my house. But I still very much think it’s possible and I think we are close. I don’t have a diagram for the imid. Please anyone that finds a useful diagram please post it here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Diagrams for everything are in my previous post. I've ordered the head unit (without sub/amp option) and the connectors that I will need. Shooting for a plug and play setup with no original cable modifications. Below is a pic of the adapters that I'm planning on making. Hopefully it will all just work. :) Will let you know if it's a success.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Diagrams for everything are in my previous post. I've ordered the head unit (without sub/amp option) and the connectors that I will need. Shooting for a plug and play setup with no original cable modifications. Below is a pic of the adapters that I'm planning on making. Hopefully it will all just work. :) Will let you know if it's a success.

View attachment 144890

View attachment 144891
This is fantastic! Teamwork makes the dream work! I look forward to your report.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey! I'm still waiting on 2 plugs (D-12P and old style USB) but I've made most of my wiring adapters and tested the system. Everything works great! Backup camera shows on the big screen, Apple Car Play works, IMID screen (got a new one 39710-TW1-A612 from a 2015 model) functions perfectly in tandem with the main unit via B_CAN bus (shows source selections, song titles and syncs the time). Steering wheel controls work good as well, except the phone buttons (for now).

Update to B-20P->C-20P adapter wiring: for AUX use 6, 7, 8, 16, 17, 18 to the same pins on the C-20P plug.

001.JPG 002.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is fantastic! Good work! Those cables look very professionally made. How long did you make the cables? I just know I would get it all put together then not have long enough cable or have too much cable and not be able to cram it all in.

I wonder if there is any way to get the phone buttons working with Siri etc. but even without them this is a huge improvement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey! I'm still waiting on 2 plugs (D-12P and old style USB) but I've made most of my wiring adapters and tested the system. Everything works great! Backup camera shows on the big screen, Apple Car Play works, IMID screen (got a new one 39710-TW1-A612 from a 2015 model) functions perfectly in tandem with the main unit via B_CAN bus (shows source selections, song titles and syncs the time). Steering wheel controls work good as well, except the phone buttons (they are wired very differently than in 2015-2016 models) but I simply use the touchscreen to dial, answer and hung up.

Update to B-20P->C-20P adapter wiring: You don't need 2->12 wire. For AUX use 6, 7, 8, 16, 17, 18 to the same pins on the C-20P plug.

So once I get my last two plugs I will get everything assembled and send the final pic.

View attachment 145608 View attachment 145609
How is the volume? Do you have an amplifier in your car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Volume is fine, I had no AMP in my 2013 EX. New head unit part# 39100-T1W-A01-M1 (doesn’t need AMP). Longest cable is about 22" long. There is a small hole between top and bottom screens to feed A-32P/B-32P/G-24P cable through.
I also ordered a GPS antenna assembly (39835-T0A-A01). There are factory holes to mount it right above the big screen and then time/date will get set automatically, which is a nice feature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was able to get the HFL steering wheel buttons to work with the new unit. Basically, with the old setup there is a separate physical Bluetooth Module (39775-T0A-A500) that is sitting just a bit lower the climate control panel. It has a 32 pin connector going into it. I tapped into pin #15 and ran it to pin #12 on the C-20P. All three buttons now work including voice recognition. That Bluetooth Module is not needed for the new setup because the new radio has it built-in.

Have to travel for work next week but after that I'll get this baby all put together. Exciting!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Volume is fine, I had no AMP in my 2013 EX. Longest cable is about 22" long. There is a small hole between top and bottom screens to feed A-32P/B-32P/G-24P cable through.
I also ordered a GPS antenna assembly (39835-T0A-A01). There are factory holes to mount it right above the big screen and then time/date will get set automatically, which is a nice feature.
Also, the wiring diagram lists gray USB port as #1 and green #2. Well, actually it's opposite on my unit. I used the gray USB port to install Apple Car Play update and I will be using the green USB port to connect my phone going forward since we only have one USB port in the center console.
I read somewhere that CarPlay on these units has a problem with the GPS antenna attached. It gets confused between the GPS in the car, and the GPS in your phone. People were leaving that cable detached to get CarPlay navigation working. (On totally stock systems)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well crap...I discovered that the head unit that I bought requires an external amp. They use the same model numbers for the head units with and without Amp (NR-244UH) There is an additional connector on the back (small square 2nd in from the lower right) if it does not have an internal amp, requiring an external one. So it looks like I can either try to find another head unit or buy an amp and adapt the cables. buying a different head unit would be easier, but the external amp would probably give me better results. especially if I add a subwoofer. Does anyone have pinouts for a '15 amp and sub?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Would any of these plugs fit? This is a pnp upgrade kit for Hondas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it looks like that would work. Thanks for the idea. I wonder how that compares to the Honda '15 & '16 amp (39186-T0A-A61). The nice thing about the OEM amps is that there is a place behind the dash to mount them. I wouldn't have to figure out a safe place to put it or wire it to under the seat etc. This would be an easy solution though. The extra subwoofer connector on the back of my head unit has a pin that sends the mute command to the amp. I need to look into if this is plug n play with this amp too.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
This one should fit in the factory location and has a passthrough for the sub amp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey! I'm still waiting on 2 plugs (D-12P and old style USB) but I've made most of my wiring adapters and tested the system. Everything works great! Backup camera shows on the big screen, Apple Car Play works, IMID screen (got a new one 39710-TW1-A612 from a 2015 model) functions perfectly in tandem with the main unit via B_CAN bus (shows source selections, song titles and syncs the time). Steering wheel controls work good as well, except the phone buttons (they are wired very differently than in 2015-2016 models) but I simply use the touchscreen to dial, answer and hung up.

Update to B-20P->C-20P adapter wiring: You don't need 2->12 wire. For AUX use 6, 7, 8, 16, 17, 18 to the same pins on the C-20P plug.

So once I get my last two plugs I will get everything assembled and send the final pic.

View attachment 145608 View attachment 145609
i just got back from a work trip and Im taking this up again. Thank you so much for your efforts with this, especially posting the pin-out diagrams. Your post helped me to realize that, apparently, I bought the wrong stereo. I got the one that needs an external amp. So now I'm hunting for the pin out diagrams on the amp so that I can add one in. I figure that might make more sense than buying a different head unit. With the amp, I might get slightly better sound, and the option to add a subwoofer. Anyway after I figure out how to add an amp into the mix I will post my results etc here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, it looks like that would work. Thanks for the idea. I wonder how that compares to the Honda '15 & '16 amp (39186-T0A-A61). The nice thing about the OEM amps is that there is a place behind the dash to mount them. I wouldn't have to figure out a safe place to put it or wire it to under the seat etc. This would be an easy solution though. The extra subwoofer connector on the back of my head unit has a pin that sends the mute command to the amp. I need to look into if this is plug n play with this amp too.
Just in case someone else comes along this, the amp I have listed is the wrong one for a 2015/16 ex-l. the correct one is 39186-T0A-A41.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm all done and 100% functional like OEM. Will see if the service guys at Honda dealership will notice this next time I'm in. :) I love that I can change backup camera views on the big screen and to my surprise, line guidance works too when I move my steering wheel. The B-20P->C-20P adapter wiring update that I mentioned in one of my previous posts does enable AUX feature since I have that jack in my console. GPS antenna is in and time/date automatically syncs with the satellite now. No issues with the Google Maps navigation so far with the GPS antenna plugged in. Super happy with this setup.

@Shutter I have some pigtails left, IMID screen from a 2012 CR-V with Navi - let me know if you need anything.

A48B02FB-D6E2-464A-83BB-D5C3380797BA.jpeg 186A8F59-9503-4188-A7A2-F4076977B889.jpeg AF4FAAB1-FCCB-4BA7-9956-0710E891391B.jpeg B0157777-9DB0-4966-A9FC-9CD898CA6589.jpeg DEDB817F-F847-4D99-A57B-E901B515FCFB.jpeg D7C985C0-AE1A-47A8-8E9E-BFADA71DF29F.JPG

1 - 20 of 60 Posts