Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm all done and 100% functional like OEM. Will see if the service guys at Honda dealership will notice this next time I'm in. :) I love that I can change backup camera views on the big screen and to my surprise, line guidance works too when I move my steering wheel. The B-20P->C-20P adapter wiring update that I mentioned in one of my previous posts does enable AUX feature since I have that jack in my console. GPS antenna is in and time/date automatically syncs with the satellite now. No issues with the Google Maps navigation so far with the GPS antenna plugged in. Super happy with this setup.

@Shutter I have some pigtails left, IMID screen from a 2012 CR-V with Navi - let me know if you need anything.

View attachment 146166
That is super awesome, congratulations! I hadn't even thought about the backup camera having the lines curve. Great to hear about the aux feature. I can't wait to get mine in. My amp just arrived today (39186-T0A-A41). I got it for only $30 on ebay. I ordered a factory subwoofer off ebay for $60, but I probably should have saved my money because I hear that the factory sub isn't great. With the amplifier the mix, my adapter cable will differ from yours slightly. Im going to order the GPS cable. Had you tried it without swapping the imid? I'm definitely interested in the pigtails. The connectors and wire are all I lack at the moment other than potentially a new imid screen, I basically need most of the connectors. I'm just trying to find the right connectors for the amplifier before ordering everything. What wire crimper did you use? What wire did you buy?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm all done and 100% functional like OEM. Will see if the service guys at Honda dealership will notice this next time I'm in. :) I love that I can change backup camera views on the big screen and to my surprise, line guidance works too when I move my steering wheel. The B-20P->C-20P adapter wiring update that I mentioned in one of my previous posts does enable AUX feature since I have that jack in my console. GPS antenna is in and time/date automatically syncs with the satellite now. No issues with the Google Maps navigation so far with the GPS antenna plugged in. Super happy with this setup.

@Shutter I have some pigtails left, IMID screen from a 2012 CR-V with Navi - let me know if you need anything.

View attachment 146166
If you start having problems with the GPS, take a look at this...

I guess the problems start after the GPS finishes its lengthy initialization.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you! I think that it would a good idea to replace factory speakers with a better set if you're pursuing AMP and a SUB installation. Original IMID screen uses DUET bus which is not supported by the new head unit. It won't show inputs, now playing info and the time will be always wrong and flashing (you can't change it). You would need a new IMID that talks to the head unit via B_CAN bus 39710-T0A-A010 (2015-16) or 39710-TW1-A612 (2012-14). They both function the same, the only difference is the Italic font on the 2012-14 screen and icons (i.e. "Apps" screen shows a smartphone icon on one and a wire jack on other).

eBay listing for the pigtails and 39710-TW1-A612 IMID screen.

I used 22AWG stranded wire across the board, except for USB cables.

Crimping tool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you! I think that it would a good idea to replace factory speakers with a better set if you're pursuing AMP and a SUB installation. Original IMID screen uses DUET bus which is not supported by the new head unit. It won't show inputs, now playing info and the time will be always wrong and flashing (you can't change it). You would need a new IMID that talks to the head unit via B_CAN bus 39710-T0A-A010 (2015-16) or 39710-TW1-A612 (2012-14). They both function the same, the only difference is the Italic font on the 2012-14 screen and icons (i.e. "Apps" screen shows a smartphone icon on one and a wire jack on other).

eBay listing for the pigtails and 39710-TW1-A612 IMID screen.

I used 22AWG stranded wire across the board, except for USB cables.

Crimping tool.
Thanks for that info, Ill give your ebay listing a look. I'm thinking though that I want to stay all 2015 for the stuff I'm adding in to keep incompatibility/ghosts in the machine to a minimum. I hope to order the last of the things that I need to put it all together today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That looks doable. I can take a stab at it and try to create a wiring diagram for the adapters. And then we can compare with what you got so nothing gets missed.
That would be great. always good to have another set of eyes on it, and your diagrams have been great. I cropped them and turned up the contrast so they would be better for printing. Ill post them here. I'm just having trouble at the moment finding a connector for the "stereo amplifier connector A" 18P. Ive been searching all over. I wish that I could at least find some info on the manufacturer, but I'm only hitting dead ends. I wanted to keep it all OEM but if I can't find the connector I might be forced to do an aftermarket AMP.

b20toc20.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, some bad news about the connector for the amplifier. It is made by JAE like most of the other connectors, but it is proprietary to Honda and completely unavailable unless you cut one off of a honda wiring harness. Another user that was doing a major upgrade on a 5th gen ran into this problem as well. I posted begging him for the STL file so that I could 3d print one as well. this is the post. The connector looks perfect. There is one other way that it is available... buy 500 knock off connectors from china knock off connectors.

·
Registered
2013 CR-V EX-L 67k
1 Posts
Now this is my kind of upgrade! We have a '13 EX-L with navigation and 7 speaker premium audio. The nav is comically clunky, but I'd rather do an in-generation oem upgrade than aftermarket.

Sounds like i need the 15-16 imid, and a 15-16 head unit with nav.

I know it car has a sub under the pass seat.

I need to find the appropriate model no. for the 15-16 head unit so I don't buy the wrong model!

Also, you all are awesome. This thread has been fun to follow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now this is my kind of upgrade! We have a '13 EX-L with navigation and 7 speaker premium audio. The nav is comically clunky, but I'd rather do an in-generation oem upgrade than aftermarket.

Sounds like i need the 15-16 imid, and a 15-16 head unit with nav.

I know it car has a sub under the pass seat.

I need to find the appropriate model no. for the 15-16 head unit so I don't buy the wrong model!

Also, you all are awesome. This thread has been fun to follow.
Just make sure you don't get a head unit from the touring model. In your case, I would suggest going for a head unit from an ex-L. The navigation feature is kind of pointless with carplay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just make sure you don't get a head unit from the touring model. In your case, I would suggest going for a head unit from an ex-L. The navigation feature is kind of pointless with carplay.
I should probably clarify that. On other forums, people that have tried the firmware upgrade on touring models have not been successful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, some bad news about the connector for the amplifier. It is made by JAE like most of the other connectors, but it is proprietary to Honda and completely unavailable unless you cut one off of a honda wiring harness. Another user that was doing a major upgrade on a 5th gen ran into this problem as well. I posted begging him for the STL file so that I could 3d print one as well. this is the post. The connector looks perfect. There is one other way that it is available... buy 500 knock off connectors from china knock off connectors.
This has the plug that you need. I would ask them to sell just the pigtails and if not then get the whole thing and you are back on track!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, so we have a couple of people here that pulled this off. Is there a summary of how best to go about doing this for say, a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This has the plug that you need. I would ask them to sell just the pigtails and if not then get the whole thing and you are back on track!

Unfortunately, I already asked them last night if they would; sell me the pigtails. They said "Sorry No". Fortunately, the forum member that 3d printed the connector has agreed to give me his STL files so that I can print my own! Also, I contacted that Chinese company that makes the knock-offs and asked them for a sample. I'm sure I will pay for it and shipping, but it seems to be the only way to buy less than 500.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okay, so we have a couple of people here that pulled this off. Is there a summary of how best to go about doing this for say, a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L?
Once I have completed my upgrade I will write a summary post on it. Im pretty close, just waiting for a few connectors to arrive. so far Vlad171 is the only successful upgrade that I know of. Vlad171 had an EX as do I. My install will differ from his because I'm adding an amplifier as well. The install on the EX-L will likely similar to Vlad171's install though I haven't looked into it very closely. I added a bunch of complexity by adding an amplifier. I did that because I accidentally bought a head unit for an EX-L. I'd recommend sticking to an upgrade in your same trim level.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Once I have completed my upgrade I will write a summary post on it. Im pretty close, just waiting for a few connectors to arrive. so far Vlad171 is the only successful upgrade that I know of. Vlad171 had an EX as do I. My install will differ from his because I'm adding an amplifier as well. The install on the EX-L will likely similar to Vlad171's install though I haven't looked into it very closely. I added a bunch of complexity by adding an amplifier. I did that because I accidentally bought a head unit for an EX-L. I'd recommend sticking to an upgrade in your same trim level.
Thanks! A summary post from you or Vlad would be super useful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey! I'm still waiting on 2 plugs (D-12P and old style USB) but I've made most of my wiring adapters and tested the system. Everything works great! Backup camera shows on the big screen, Apple Car Play works, IMID screen (got a new one 39710-TW1-A612 from a 2015 model) functions perfectly in tandem with the main unit via B_CAN bus (shows source selections, song titles and syncs the time). Steering wheel controls work good as well, except the phone buttons (for now).

Update to B-20P->C-20P adapter wiring: for AUX use 6, 7, 8, 16, 17, 18 to the same pins on the C-20P plug.

View attachment 145608 View attachment 145609
Hey, Where did you find your B20 connector(for B20P to C20P cable) and your A32P old connector for (A32P old to A32P and G24P)? All I'm finding is connectors with exposed solder posts. this looks so much cleaner. thank you so much for your help with everything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@Shutter I hope you are ready for this! LOL But here is my take on the wiring adapters to make for AMP integration.

View attachment 146209
You are a very talented individual. i cant thank you enough for sharing your talents. Im just starting to look at this, but so far you are spot on. I added some contrast to the image and cropped it again for better printing.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts