Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there and thank you for your help.

2009 with 2.2 Diesel engine

Low beam lamp Type: D2S (Some sort of Xenon bulb)

I discovered last week that the specific light intermittently goes off. My first instinct was that it is the bulb. Yesterday I made the effort to remove the bulb to see what bulb it takes since, according to the book, it can be a 55 W H1 or 35W D2S. It has the D2S, which as I understand the book, is some high voltage bulb.

I then bought two new ones yesterday and replaced them. And then, after struggling almost 2 hours to get them in with my big hands, the left one still doesn't work.
This morning I checked the fuse and it is OK.

I don't want to fiddle there before I first ask here.
These is a metal little box that plugs onto the bulb. Can it be that this little box is some kind of energiser and that it is faulty?
Where do you suggest I start looking?

I will really appreciate any help and suggestions. It is my wife's car and I don't want her to drive with it like this.

Thank you so long.

Deon

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Correct, the 'Little Metal Box' is the ballast that starts (lights-up) the Xenon bulb. (We had that issue with our '99 Acura TL)

Sorry that you bought the bulbs already. With our Acura at the time (2010) the factory ballasts were $400 USD but foreign-sourced bulb and ballast kits were $60 USD.

Don't know about availability in the UK, but at least its a place to start.

PS, make sure that any parts you buy are sealed from the elements! That was the reason for failure in our car (water ingress).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, the 'Little Metal Box' is the ballast that starts (lights-up) the Xenon bulb. (We had that issue with our '99 Acura TL)

Sorry that you bought the bulbs already. With our Acura at the time (2010) the factory ballasts were $400 USD but foreign-sourced bulb and ballast kits were $60 USD.

PS, make sure that any parts you buy are sealed from the elements! That was the reason for failure in our car (water ingress).
Thank you very much for your reply. I was so hoping that the ballast won't be the problem. I am from South Africa and the agents here smoke us on spare parts. Is there a way to test the ballast?

Thank you once again for your quick reply. Really appreciate it.

Deon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Headlight Left Low Beam dead

I have noticed last night that the light works intermittently.
I just spoke with a clever friend of mine. The ballast is just a transformer and a faulty transformer does not work. It does not work intermittently. The same goes for the igniter. The igniter only ignites the light and then it's job is done. If the light then goes of, it is not because of the igniter. He suspects a loose connection to or from the ballast.

Will strip off the bumper to get to the ballast and check.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Yeah, in the Acura the ballast & ignitor were on the same module, behind the headlamp, in the elements.

Intermittents are a whole different scenario.

Definitely check the connections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, in the Acura the ballast & igniter were on the same module, behind the headlamp, in the elements.

Intermittents are a whole different scenario.

Definitely check the connections.
Thanx again for the reply. I checked everything and discovered that it is the ballast. I can get in SA but the agents are crazy. Do you guys have an online shop over there from which I can buy and have it send here?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts