Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I wanted to see if I could restore my one headlight and remove the haze. When I bought this CRV (a month ago) I noticed after I took it home that one headlight was fairly new and one is still probably the original.

I purchased the Mother's headlight restoration kit

Came with - padded drill bit, microfiber cloth, plastix applicator, 4 sandpaper pads

Both headlights before restoration.

Newer headlight

older headlight with haze

Taped off the lenses like it said to in the instructions.

Says to only use a nickel size amount of the plastic applicator but it needs more.

Drill with padded drill bit

Here's the before and after on the older headlight. Not really a big change.

Here's both headlights after all was said and done.

Overall. Not too happy with the product. Although the haze may be from inside the lens itself. Not sure if maybe there's a leak somewhere on anything else. I just thought I'd share some pics and such with everyone else. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I wanted to see if I could restore my one headlight and remove the haze. When I bought this CRV (a month ago) I noticed after I took it home that one headlight was fairly new and one is still probably the original.

I purchased the Mother's headlight restoration kit

Came with - padded drill bit, microfiber cloth, plastix applicator, 4 sandpaper pads

Both headlights before restoration.

Newer headlight

older headlight with haze

Taped off the lenses like it said to in the instructions.

Says to only use a nickel size amount of the plastic applicator but it needs more.

Drill with padded drill bit

Here's the before and after on the older headlight. Not really a big change.

Here's both headlights after all was said and done.

Overall. Not too happy with the product. Although the haze may be from inside the lens itself. Not sure if maybe there's a leak somewhere on anything else. I just thought I'd share some pics and such with everyone else. Thanks.
You need to sand out the oxydized layer with a fine wet sand paper like 2000 grits first! Remember to tape all around the headlight and wet sand it until you no longer see the milky residue... it should start to become almost a clear residue once the oxydation layer is removed. Then you would use the lens polisher to polish out the swirls mark left by the sand paper.

My 2003 head light was so cloudy that I can barely see any light through them... I did that (after watching a youtube videor on headlight restoration) and voila... it 's like a brand new head lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks good, but it will come back. Did mine and they looked great for a few months, then within 6-8 months yellowing started again.

Since the UV protection on the lens get removed when you do this, I just purchased and will try this when the weather gets warm:

http://www.cureuv.com/lightrite-uv-headlight-restoration-uv-coating-4-5-oz.html

I'll post pictures when I do, I believe this is the trick since it restores the actual UV coating.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been using a product called "Plexus". It claims to have been developed for use in aviation.

I just sprayed, wiped, and buffed with a clean cloth and the haze was gone. This was on my eleven-year-old Crown Vic headlamp lenses. I also use it on my mc helmet face shield and haven't had to replace it in years.

I have no relationship with the company financially or otherwise. I have to buy it just like everybody else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks good, but it will come back. Did mine and they looked great for a few months, then within 6-8 months yellowing started again.

Since the UV protection on the lens get removed when you do this, I just purchased and will try this when the weather gets warm:

http://www.cureuv.com/lightrite-uv-headlight-restoration-uv-coating-4-5-oz.html

I'll post pictures when I do, I believe this is the trick since it restores the actual UV coating.
If I am going to spend $80.00 on haze cleaner/remover, I might as well buy a new headlamp assembly off from eBay and install a brand new one ;)... just a thought.

Paul

·
Registered
260 Posts
Did you skip the sanding step? I'd second the need for sanding the lens with a fine sandpaper. 3M makes a similar kit, I used it on my 2nd gen with good results... of course the results don't looks as good as the picture on the cover of the box, but it still was a marked improvement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Another option you can try on the cheap side is toothpaste. No lies. It has little polyethylene balls in it that polish your teeth. Those same balls do a good job on getting the haze off of headlights. (read the ingredients and you should see polyethylene). plus it.will have a minty fresh smile too :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
306 Posts
On my Ford truck with plastic lenses I did the sanding and followed with the PlasticX. Worked great. You can also try working up through sandpaper grits starting at 600 and working up through 2000 with whatever grits you can find in between.

When I applied the PlasticX, I used a muslin wheel on my 18V DeWalt and used more than a little pressure. I followed by quickly wiping with a rag with more PlasticX and then a clean, dry rag.

You have to do the PlasticX over again at least once a year, if not more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have used the Blue Magic Headlight Lens restoration and it clearly states that you have to used it every three months for new looking headlights.
I recommend this product from Advanced Auto for about $7... it's worth it!!!
Just takes some elbow grease but it's better than forking out $40.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I refurbished the headlights on my 2002 last night. This is the first time I have done a set of headlights. I would say they were fairly bad before I started. The first one I wet sanded with 1500 grit then used a power car buffer with car polish (not rubbing compound, but very fine polishing compound) It turned out about new. The second one I just used the car polish, didn't really need the wet sanding. Attached is a picture after I finished one of the headlights.
20140527_184223.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
So my 1998 headlights were gettin overly hazed and I couldnt see a thing at night. So I went with the 3M buffing kit. Like people have mentioned, this kit comes with a buffer sponge, paper pads, and plenty of compound. It took me about 30 min to do both of them and I taped around the headlights too. I bought a spray bottle for the water for a dollar.

All said and done, about $35 for the whole process. You will notice a difference the first night, for sure!
NOTE: I recc propping open the hood to avoid the spray of the compound all over it. Makes clean up easier.

Here is what my car looked like during the process.

photo 2 (1).JPG
Before

photo 3 (1).JPG
during

photo 4 (1).JPG
After!

photo 1 (1).JPG
comparison pic

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's stunning. I used the Meguar's Plastic X polish method. It worked wonderfully but I need to use a lot of tools and buffing wheels (w/ arbor) that I already had. If you have to buy all that, you're way over the cost of the 3m kit. Plus, the 3m kit comes with a great buffing drill attachment specifically designed for this job. Seems like a winner to me for most people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a quick update, I just finished re-treating and buffing my 1998 headlights a week ago. They looked almost exactly the same as the sequence I posted before. And I didn't treat them or seal them when I finished, just the three stage buffing process. Pretty good performance for $30 kit. Bottles are usually $7 as other folks have stated here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts