Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I went to the supermarket after dark. Pulled into a parking spot and stopped. Decided to straighten my wheels a bit (while the engine was running) and as I turned the steering wheel, the headlights dimmed. Each time I turned the wheel, the headlights would dim and come back when I stopped turning. I realize that turning tires while parked takes more force than while moving....but does that seem normal on a 6 week old car? Is it indicative of a battery/electrical problem?
Is the power steering pump electrical or engine driven?

The car was a brand new off the truck (not sitting around) when I bought it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The power steering on a 2017 CR-V is electric, so that is to be expected. For fun, try turning the wheels in a parked old car w/o power steering, and compare that to the force needed when it's moving... now imagine the force required to move modern (much wider) tires in a parked car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Most likely the alternator output is low at idle and when you turn the wheels, the EPS takes some power to turn the wheels causing the headlights to dim slightly. I think this phenomena you describe is not uncommon on a lot of cars. You could try turning on the A/C or just bumping up the RPM's and turning the wheel, the extra output from the alternator should then provide enough power to run everything in the system.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
I agree with the above. I'm sure it's just the circumstances (headlights AND EPS working at the same time).

Best advice always has been:

Roll the car when turning the steering wheel. The resistance is MUCH less. Easier on the mechanical parts of the steering, as well (tie rod ends, rack, control arm bushings, etc).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello Weather42,
I'm glad to report that this is completely normal and a characteristic of Hondas since at least 2006. My 2008, 2010 and 2012 did the same thing. I however did not got my hands on my 2017 CRV yet. Perhaps some of the members can confirm their 2017's act the same...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Assuming you have a 1.5T, look at the rear of your wonderfully open engine bay. You can see that the cables going into the PS Motor are quite thick. That thing pulls down a very large amount of juice when stressed. (And turning the steering with the wheels stopped and the brake on qualifies.) That goes double if you hold it at lock.

(Lesson: If your alternator ever goes, you have less runtime than you might be used to with hydraulic PS pumps.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts