Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a brighter headlight bulb , especialy dip headlight . Mine isn't as bright as I would like and I wondered if anyone had changed theirs for say the blue type bulb?

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you change the type of bulb from the stock H4 halogen to another type, like the xenon bulbs kids install to have blue headlights, you will get a LOWER lumen light output and your headlights will shine in other drivers' eyes. They will do that because different types of bulbs have their filaments in different positions and are different lengths and shapes. Reflector bowl shape is fixed, and is designed for a particular bulb type and thus light source position so you must stick with a halogen H4 bulb or change out the entire headlight. Replacements are not typically available because of each car's custom, unique headlight shape. Higher output bulbs, available from shady sources, are illegal, draw more power than your car's wiring was designed to handle and put out more heat than the headlight housing was designed for.

Some aftermarket shops that do alarms and stereos also install HID projector headlights like in high end cars, but careful research is required to make sure your shop does this competently so the headlight housings will not leak (they must be heated to soften the adhesive that seals the clear front to the body, pulled apart, modified and resealed). You must make sure he will make them able to be aimed properly, which can end up impossible. He must use DOT approved parts so your car will pass inspection, he must know how to make the high beam indicator and fog lights work properly with new components that have different electrical properties (some really screwy behavior is possible) so you do not make your car impossible to sell. And you must choose your projectors carefully. That is because, although your concern is with "dip" lights which I take to mean low beams, it is usually high beam performance that people are trying to improve and high beam HID projector performance varies widely among bi-xenon units, the type required for H4 replacement. Any HID projector will eliminate all complaints about low beam performance. All that said, if you find a good shop and choose the right components your headlight performance will be hugely improved, spectacularly really; better than any factory lights. Cost will be about $1,000.

GE and Sylvania make replacement H4 bulbs (search) that are claimed to be whiter, which is true, brighter, but they put out LESS light, and throw more light to the sides which also may actually be true. Differences are so small it is hard to be sure there are any and bulb life is shortened... usually a lot! Some burn out in a couple months, many in six, and a few last a year. They are about triple the cost of regular bulbs.

It is important to note that halogen bulbs dim with time and all you may need is to replace them. Walmart and you can do the job easily and inexpensively.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I looked into the GE and Sylvania bulbs pretty deeply when I was fighting poor headlight performance in two of my cars. I bought Sylvania ST Ultra for the high beams of one car and did not buy other brands. I finally decided after a couple days that they were better than stock. But the consensus was that the Ultras did not last as long as other brands. Cleaning the bulbs b4 installation is critical for bulb life. I retrofit HID projectors into the other car and the light was great... but the high beam indicator did not work and there was very odd behavior in the HIDs when fogs were on from unusual wiring in that car's oem electrical system. I don't think there is one very good option for all.

My 2014 Honda CR-V's headlights are great; far, far better than my other H4 car. From the comments of more than a couple CR-V owners dissatisfied with their headlights saying their high beams shine into the trees I am starting to consider that the complaints may be the result of good headlights aimed poorly. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Headlamp performance has steadily improved throughout the automobile age, spurred by the great disparity between daytime and nighttime traffic fatalities: the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states that nearly half of all traffic-related fatalities occur in the dark, despite only 25% of traffic travelling during darkness.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
You can get higher wattage H4 bulbs, like 55/80 or 55/100, but you risk melting the wiring harness unless you install relays.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with others on the SilverStars. Changing the OEM bulbs to the SilverStars was the first thing I did before handing the keys to my wife. It made a significant difference in the nighttime illumination. I've heard others complain about the lifespan of the SS, but we're almost at a year and still going strong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I simply replaced my stock headlight bulbs with 130/80 watt off road bulbs. Never had anyone flash me on low beam but I can melt the snow off the front of their car on high beam - also see animals on the side of the road. Have been using them for 2 years on the stock wiring harness without any problems.
I believe they were about $60.00 for a set.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I simply replaced my stock headlight bulbs with 130/80 watt off road bulbs. Never had anyone flash me on low beam but I can melt the snow off the front of their car on high beam - also see animals on the side of the road. Have been using them for 2 years on the stock wiring harness without any problems.
I believe they were about $60.00 for a set.
I've seen too many pictures of melted reflectors, wiring harnesses and three pin connector housings to do this. You can get away with Osram 70/65watt bulbs, but a relay harness will deliver an extra volt or so to the stock 60/55 watt bulbs. Eastern Beaver makes several high quality cable/relay/connector sets.

I've been looking for a set of H4 LED "bulbs" that are compatible with the rubber weather boot. Hard to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried Osram H4 bulbs bought from England for $33. The high beams are somewhat brighter, but the low beams are no brighter and the cutoff is very sharp. My 2003 Accord has much better headlights using stock Honda bulbs.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I tried Osram H4 bulbs bought from England for $33. The high beams are somewhat brighter, but the low beams are no brighter and the cutoff is very sharp. My 2003 Accord has much better headlights using stock Honda bulbs.
Are you talking about 60/55 Osrams or 70/65's? And a relay harness will get you an extra volt to the bulbs, it's definitely a noticeable increase in brightness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.