Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights on our 08 EXL have hazed over once again. I had them shining nicely last year using a polishing kit along with a UV protector. The same kit that I had used on my 2011 Pilot and had gone almost 3 years without the hazing returning. Not that lucky with the V, granted the Pilot got the garage and the V, well it is outside 365. I'm gonna clean/polish them again here when my kid comes home for Christmas Break, but this time instead of the UV protector you wipe on and let dry, I'm gonna use a clear UV spray paint like the Krylon UV resistant spray coating. Hopefully I get more than a year out of it. If it fails again, I'll just order up two new light assemblies and replace them.

What has everyone else tried that gives them more than 12 months of clear lenses?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
The key point is that the Pilot was garaged. That's why you got more time out of the headlamp polishing.

The UV-resistant spray paint is MUCH better. If you are OCD like me, you will spend a lot of time leveling the paint in an attempt to make it look 'factory'.

Our kid's old '07 Fit required a quick re-polish every 4 months (again, my observance of the returning haze is probably a lot acute more than most people's). I never UV coated those lights as she was planning to replace the car. (SIGH...didn't happen for 2 years...)

I did the UV paint coating on my brother's Volvo and it is still holding up 2 years later.

·
Registered
442 Posts
if your planning on keeping jt long term, why not source a set of oem headlights and swap them in. You can probably find for a decent price (not at honda) and its a few bucks invested in a ‘hopefully paid off car’

or just suck it up and add the polishing to your yearly maint of the car

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll go the UV paint route after polishing this time and see what it gets me. The V has been paid off for quite a while so as long as it continues to run well, it will be around. The headlights aren't bad enough IMHO for me to do the additional spend and replace the units. With him going to school in WV and having to follow fracking trucks all the time there is a good chance these lenses will get cracked before he finishes his degree. With my luck that would happen right after I put new assemblies in.

I can see myself spending a few hours chasing imperfections in the spray paint as well. If it is anything like me taping drywall, I may need to buy that paint by the 5gal pail.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I can see myself spending a few hours chasing imperfections in the spray paint as well. If it is anything like me taping drywall, I may need to buy that paint by the 5gal pail.
Better then, in my view, to go with the Weathertech UV protecting polyurethane Lampguards linked above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts