Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above. It's a 2009 and sidelight an high beam are fine. Low beam just don't work. I've checked the fuses and they are fine, my next port of call will be relay but for the life of me I can't find any info on one. When i switch the side lights on and off I can hear a click from around where the cabin fuse box is but nothing when I switch to low beams.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,801 Posts
You didn't mention if you replaced the bulbs yet. (assuming that they are NOT LED)

Often, when one side bulb fails, it can send a surge to the other side and that one does dark, too. :eek:

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts
As @Carbuff2 says, it is always best to start with the easy stuff. :)

Reactions: MollyCRV2009

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

I will check them tonight, or at least the easy one on the right. I had to take the battery and tray out to do the left side.

The bulbs are fine but there is no power going to them, time to get the workshop manual out and trace back.

Fuse number 21 the relay fuse had gone, My concern now is why it might have blown the fuse, or is it something that just happens.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,025 Posts
Hi

I will check them tonight, or at least the easy one on the right. I had to take the battery and tray out to do the left side.

The bulbs are fine but there is no power going to them, time to get the workshop manual out and trace back.

Fuse number 21 the relay fuse had gone, My concern now is why it might have blown the fuse, or is it something that just happens.
Given you have confirmed that the fuses are good......

Double and then triple check the bulbs themselves, just to be sure. Then check carefully for any signs of electrical arcing or corrosion in the actual socket the light plugs in to. Sometimes a bulb kind of does a number on their connectors or housings, depending on exactly how the go bad. After that, you will need to follow cable harnesses and inspect for any damage. Hopefully, by then you have found the culprit, because troubleshooting gets kind of ugly beyond that point.

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think there maybe damage to a wire somewhere causing the circuit to blow fuses?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
Do you think there maybe damage to a wire somewhere causing the circuit to blow fuses?
Very likely.

Something as trivial as a frayed/crimped wire etc can be tricky to identify.

Reactions: MollyCRV2009

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I'll likely wait for it to happen again and have a look. If it isn't anything obvious I may look into putting a stand alone circuit in so I know everything is the way it should be. Do you think have the more powerful bulbs that thye do, the ones that are 150% bright may cause an issue?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
^

Depends on the bulb I guess - some of the "non road legal" ones may have a heavier electricity draw that could prove problematic.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,025 Posts
Thanks. I'll likely wait for it to happen again and have a look. If it isn't anything obvious I may look into putting a stand alone circuit in so I know everything is the way it should be. Do you think have the more powerful bulbs that thye do, the ones that are 150% bright may cause an issue?
Hard to say.

Could be. You would have to look at the power spec requirements for the bulb, and compare them with spec limits of the headlight sockets in the vehicle. I would definitely not put in a bulb that is rated beyond what Honda specifies for the headlight sockets... even though Honda engineers are pretty good about leaving safety margins in their specs.

Personally, my first suspect would be some form of corrosion to the connector that the light bulb fits into. Any form of corrosion or scarring from electrical arcing.. would definitely pose real concerns, as that represents higher resistance, which means heat build up which could damage the socket. Next suspect would be the wire harness that mates to the rear of the headlight bulb sockets.

I do recall the occasional thread topic in the past that concerned electrically corroded or melted headlight socket given an owner real challenges. So, it can happen.

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to say.

Could be. You would have to look at the power spec requirements for the bulb, and compare them with spec limits of the headlight sockets in the vehicle. I would definitely not put in a bulb that is rated beyond what Honda specifies for the headlight sockets... even though Honda engineers are pretty good about leaving safety margins in their specs.

Personally, my first suspect would be some form of corrosion to the connector that the light bulb fits into. Any form of corrosion or scarring from electrical arcing.. would definitely pose real concerns, as that represents higher resistance, which means heat build up which could damage the socket. Next suspect would be the wire harness that mates to the rear of the headlight bulb sockets.

I do recall the occasional thread topic in the past that concerned electrically corroded or melted headlight socket given an owner real challenges. So, it can happen.
They look ok. I did have a bit of an issue getting the bulb back in its holder (not really a holder more a female spade connector at a right angle), this leads me to think there is a slight possibility it wasn't correctly fitted maybe. I'll see what the future hold before investigating any further.

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I have lost both side lights and front fogs, right side dipped and high beam and indicators all round. I have brake and reverse lights and the left side dipped and high beam.

They went off going down an unlit lane so I saw it happen, I had dipped beams and fogs on as it is very foggy. When they went there was a wiff of melted wiring. I think it's time for an auto electrician, it's going to be beyond my ability I think.

·
Registered
2011 CR-V LX 2wd White / 2003 Suzuki XL_7 Limited 4x4
117 Posts
something to keep in mind when checking bulbs - NEVER touch them with bare fingers. The oil on your fingers can burn on the bulbs and destroy them.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
So I have lost both side lights and front fogs, right side dipped and high beam and indicators all round. I have brake and reverse lights and the left side dipped and high beam.

They went off going down an unlit lane so I saw it happen, I had dipped beams and fogs on as it is very foggy. When they went there was a wiff of melted wiring. I think it's time for an auto electrician, it's going to be beyond my ability I think.
Melted wiring smells are a sign something is way off...let us know how you get on with fixing this.

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it possible to have rubbish fuses. This started with the right side dipped beam fuse going, which I replaced, then it blew the fuse that leads to the relay for the dipped beams, now it has just destroyed pretty much all the lights that are operated from the stalk without blowing either of those two fuses. I can accept the dipped beam having an issue and blowing fuses but for it to escalate like this just makes me wonder why aren't the fuses blowing.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
Suppose its possible to have bad fuses, but usually, they would simply blow.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,801 Posts
Suppose its possible to have bad fuses, but usually, they would simply blow.
If you suspect a cheap/bad fuse, swap in one of the original Honda fuses of a like rating.

OR

You could buy one of those resettable 'circuit breaker' controls instead of the fuse.
The link is for an assortment, but individual ones should be available.

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CTDiI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So this had happened
Finger Petal Insect Flooring Wood

And this
Product Electronic component Circuit component Automotive lighting Electronic engineering

So originally fuse 16 blew so I replaced it. Then 21 blew so I replaced that, then everything melted and I now have nothing as per my previous post. It looks like these fuses don't want to blow so the issue gets passed to the next fuse.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts