Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Read manual - seems found nothing.

Any ideas how to make it so, that headlights would keep off then I unlock the car from the fob?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
Not that I know of - the headlights come on dependent on the light sensor in the windscreen.

As we're getting shorter daylight hours in the Northern Hemisphere, they'll come on more frequently.

Reactions: suicid

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
997 Posts
I know there is a setting for selecting how long they stay on after you switch car off but not sure about having them not come on until car started.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,025 Posts
Not sure what CRV trim level you have. Some have an auto headlight feature in them.

If you have the feature, the headlights have a headlight switch setting where you can set it to turn on headlights when the drivers side door is opened, but even that only applies when you have your headlights set to "auto". And there is a feature setting that allows you to set the duration the lights come on, which I think is 30 seconds by default.

I never use "auto" on my headlights in my CRV and when I jump into the vehicle and start the engine, until I put the CRV into park, there are no lights illuminating from the front.

My wife used to keep her Accord headlights on auto and every time I open her driver side door in the garage to put something in or take something out, the lights would come on parked in the garage. I simply turned her headlights off of "auto" and now they do not come on until after engine start and you take the vehicle out of park which then engages the daytime running lights.

If you observe closely, a lot of things come out of power down sleep mode when the driver door is opened. The simple act of opening the drivers door initiates a wake up cycle for all the systems that were in power down standby. If you get in, close the door, and do nothing for a bit, most of the systems power back down.

·
Registered
2020 Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
160 Posts
On my '20 Touring, it only turns on the lights in this fashion if the headlight switch is turned to AUTO. If the switch is in the OFF position the lights do not come on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys, for the idea to turn AUTO lights off. I'll give it a shot and report back the results.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
846 Posts
Thanks, guys, for the idea to turn AUTO lights off. I'll give it a shot and report back the results.
If I did that I’d constantly be driving around at night without lights 🥺. They always turn them off when I take it in for service and it usually takes me a day to figure it out.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts
Same here, I love my auto headlights and the auto high beam. Can't understand why someone wouldn't use them both.
I can't agree more, but some may have different reasons.

Reactions: lmaxim and suicid

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If I did that I’d constantly be driving around at night without lights 🥺. They always turn them off when I take it in for service and it usually takes me a day to figure it out.
Mine has headlight switch spring loaded OFF position - i.e. it is impossible to keep switch in OFF, it always jumps back to AUTO then I rotate it OFF and release fingers.

Anyway so far I discovered 2 ways to keep lights off before start engine:
1. Software settings: Home->Settings->Vehicle->Lighting setup->Headlight Auto Off Timer = 0s
This setting not the only makes lights off after locking the car, but also after unlocking as well.

2. Having Headlight Auto Off Timer set to something else rather than 0s, turn lights OFF using the switch (before or after the engine shutdown - doesn't matter) - thanks @williamsji for idea.
This looks like a "one shot" setting, working only at next unlocking/door opening.

Both ways are not ideal but at least something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine has headlight switch spring loaded OFF position - i.e. it is impossible to keep switch in OFF, it always jumps back to AUTO then I rotate it OFF and release fingers.
Is that normal behavior? My light controls are on the left stalk and there's no spring at all. If it's not normal you might want to get it looked at.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
Is that normal behavior? My light controls are on the left stalk and there's no spring at all.
UK/EU CR-Vs come from Japan - the stalk is indeed spring loaded, so no faults there :)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
This feature is called "follow me home" and it's never bothered me so I haven't paid attention on how it could be disabled. I did accidentally find a menu setting for it in my other car tho.

·
Registered
486 Posts

1. Software settings: Home->Settings->Vehicle->Lighting setup->Headlight Auto Off Timer = 0s
This setting not the only makes lights off after locking the car, but also after unlocking as well.

2. Having Headlight Auto Off Timer set to something else rather than 0s, turn lights OFF using the switch (before or after the engine shutdown - doesn't matter) - thanks @williamsji for idea.
This looks like a "one shot" setting, working only at next unlocking/door opening.

Mine has the same feature, always jumps to auto. Not really an issue for me. They turn on when I enter my garage, have them set to turn off when I close the door after shutting off the car. Give my wife on her fob an extra 15 seconds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same here, I love my auto headlights and the auto high beam. Can't understand why someone wouldn't use them both.
I use auto headlights but not auto high beam. I started off using auto high beam, but had too many cases where it either didn't turn them off at all or too late in my opinion and I felt like I was potentially blinding drivers too frequently for my comfort. Also, I drive by a fair number of walking paths where there are runners and people out exercising and it doesn't turn them off for that at all. I do not want to blind people out exercising either.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I stopped using auto....
There is a lot of post regarding battery discharge or how long the battery lasts... I recently changed my battery and a few months later, started getting "low battery" warning. NO more warning since I stopped using auto.... easy solution.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
^

Sadly, not an option for folks on the other side of the pond!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for this, I'll be changing the settings on mine to 0 seconds. For me, the lights on feature isn't useful, it just adds drain on the battery, plus I'm sure my neighbours across the road would thank me - the angle of my drive means my headlights illuminate their living room!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts