Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the heated steering installed in my 2017 CR-V Touring (USA). Everything went well and the wheel does heat up (even during remote start), but the amount of heat the wheel puts out is, well, weak. It certainly never gets to the point where I need to turn it off due to being uncomfortable. I suppose I was expecting something a little more intense (like the heated seats). It seems like the heated wheels I've tried on other cars (not CR-Vs) run much hotter.

I understand this is just personal preference, but can anyone else with the heated steering wheel comment on how much heat the wheel gives off? Do you ever feel the need to turn off the wheel due to too much heat?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I recently had the heated steering installed in my 2017 CR-V Touring (USA). Everything went well and the wheel does heat up (even during remote start), but the amount of heat the wheel puts out is, well, weak. It certainly never gets to the point where I need to turn it off due to being uncomfortable. I suppose I was expecting something a little more intense (like the heated seats). It seems like the heated wheels I've tried on other cars (not CR-Vs) run much hotter.

I understand this is just personal preference, but can anyone else with the heated steering wheel comment on how much heat the wheel gives off? Do you ever feel the need to turn off the wheel due to too much heat?
Mine heats up within a minute and is comfortably warm but never so hot that I want to turn it off. I'm in Canada so it came installed on my Touring.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine heats up within a minute and is comfortably warm but never so hot that I want to turn it off. I'm in Canada so it came installed on my Touring.
Agree I had it installed in the USA by a dealer after purchase of the vehicle I love it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Same behavior. Not hot hot. Can feel it through thin gloves. Takes about a minute. Self install, couldn't be happier.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Maybe some folks can use their point-n-shoot IR temp gun and post back with temp results.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cost of the install?

Heated Steering Wheel:$109 (labor) plus 355.95 (parts) =$465.34 The dealer stated he lost $$ on the deal because of the low labor rate they quoted, so call around for pricing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I had mine installed at the dealer (about $500 OTD). I agree, it is nice to have the warmth it provides and it sounds like mine is working as designed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I had one installed and I also am very disappointed with how warm it gets - it is luke warm at best. I can kind of feel it if I don't have gloves on and I grab the wheel very hard. I took it back to the dealer and they said it is performing as designed at 90 degress. I put a temperature gun to it and it was indeed 90 degrees. This is very disappointing. I traded a 2006 Maxima that heated up just fine - nice and snuggly warm and then would turn itself off. What a waste of money and it wasn't cheap.

Trish

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a heated steering wheel and it shuts off after 1 1/2 minutes, does anyone that has it, stay on until you shut it off or does yours work the same as mine? Thx Ray

·
Registered
450 Posts
it shuts off after 1 1/2 minutes
That is NOT how mine works, it stays on until I shut it off, usually within 15-30 minutes since everything is warm by then.
Mine is a 2018 EX-L and the wheel was installed by the dealer after purchase.
It's possible newer or factory install could behave differently (?)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I installed a heated steering wheel and it shuts off after 1 1/2 minutes, does anyone that has it, stay on until you shut it off or does yours work the same as mine? Thx Ray
Mine stays on until the engine is shut off. When the car is restarted it will be off. No reason to use it more than a few minutes as it is quite warm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the EX-L (Canadian) and it came installed from the factory. It is very faint and it takes some time to get warm. I bought the CRV to replace my 2009 328i BMW and I noticed the difference in warmth right away...it was quite a contrast for both the heated steering and heated seats. Both the steering wheel and seats would get warm (seats I had to turn to low in 2-3 min otherwise it felt very hot) and wheel was 2-3 times the warm level of the CRV. I certainly miss that on the -20 C days when seats and wheel seem to take forever to warm up to acceptable temperatures.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have the EX-L (Canadian) and it came installed from the factory. It is very faint and it takes some time to get warm. I bought the CRV to replace my 2009 328i BMW and I noticed the difference in warmth right away...it was quite a contrast for both the heated steering and heated seats. Both the steering wheel and seats would get warm (seats I had to turn to low in 2-3 min otherwise it felt very hot) and wheel was 2-3 times the warm level of the CRV. I certainly miss that on the -20 C days when seats and wheel seem to take forever to warm up to acceptable temperatures.
I would have the dealer check it. Compare it with another one on the lot. I have a 2018 Canadian Touring and the factory-installed heated steering wheel feels warm in under a minute.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have the dealer check it. Compare it with another one on the lot. I have a 2018 Canadian Touring and the factory-installed heated steering wheel feels warm in under a minute.
I see....I should get it checked then....I am surprised at the quality control on this car. So many quality issues on my EX-L and it is only 2 months old. The biggest one is the rear screen wiper was installed at the incorrect angle (Too high). What happened to Honda :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts