Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Canada, we are fortunate to have a "heated windshield" feature on higher trim levels. My owner's manual is short on details with respect to how this works and whether or not it automatically starts when remote starting in cold temperatures. Does anyone have any more details that they can share?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
2,748 Posts
Send me the car and I'll figure it out .

Reactions: VIVADUDE

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,699 Posts
I do not live in Canada, and hence do not have the system in my CRV... That said...

The fact that the manual states that the system consumes a lot of power leads me to believe the windshield has micro wire embedded in the glass.. and that at idle.. it draws more power than the charging system delivers to the vehicle.. and hence current gets pulled from the battery to make up the difference. Check the manual to see what fuse is associated with the system and what current rating it has printed for it.

My guess is the primary purpose is to insure the wiper blades are more quickly freed of any ice or snow on them so they can perform as needed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In Canada, we are fortunate to have a "heated windshield" feature on higher trim levels. My owner's manual is short on details with respect to how this works and whether or not it automatically starts when remote starting in cold temperatures. Does anyone have any more details that they can share?
This feature is actually available on ALL trims, and does not automatically start when remote starting in cold temperatures.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It is actually like the rear defroster except for the wipers only. It doesn’t heat the whole windshield, just the area under the front wipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
How do you like it? I rented a Nissan in the UK with a heated windscreen and it was murder on my eyes driving at night on unlit roads - the wires in the glass caught the oncoming headlights and wrecked my vision. It was...not a good time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The wires are only underneath the wipers, not across the entire front windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
How do you like it? I rented a Nissan in the UK with a heated windscreen and it was murder on my eyes driving at night on unlit roads - the wires in the glass caught the oncoming headlights and wrecked my vision. It was...not a good time.
I have had this windscreen in all my Fords (except one American one) for the past 25 years and it's great, never need to scrape the glass. You'll get used to the wires real quick, your brain will automatically map them out. At some angle there's a rainbow-like glare in a few spots but it does not bother really.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you show me a photo of your windshield with embedded wires?

I have a similar button on my minivan. It isn't decribed in the manual and I cannot figure out what it really does other than lighting up the button when pressed. I was looking for wires and plug on the windshield. I thought the previous owner may have got rid of the wires on replacing the windshield. Perhaps the wires are there just difficult to see.

·
Registered
939 Posts
They're well visible. At least in a Ford:

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,546 Posts
A full heated windshield is a very common feature in Europe, and I cannot understand why we don't see it here in the US except on imports. It would be fantastic to have, especially in the regions where snow and icing conditions happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
A full heated windshield is a very common feature in Europe, and I cannot understand why we don't see it here in the US except on imports. It would be fantastic to have, especially in the regions where snow and icing conditions happen.
As nice as the novelty is to have a fully heated windshield, its horrific to drive in the dark with the fine lines/elements shining up through oncoming traffic.

The woes are repeated in the summer due to the high apex of the sun.

Nothing beats a bottle of lukewarm water to defrost a screen effortlessly. No battery drainage from a heated windshield and no cold hands scraping off ice etc. Thats how I do it anyway....

(PS, we have that heated wiper element on the top spec CR-V here in the UK too).

·
Registered
939 Posts
zoom in on the pic, vertical wavy lines, 3 mm apart.

Reactions: captainbeandip

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry I still don't know what to look for, zooming into it down to pixels.

The picture is 1142x641 (i.e. 0.731M pixels) . Supposed it covers 2000mm horizontally. 3mm is 1.7 pixels apart in the picture. That would be hard to see after compression.

Can you take a higher resolution picture, corp the portion showing the wires, zoom into it before posting?

The forum may compress it further.

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine has similar dots at the bottom of the windshield but I could not find the wires. We have blower outlets next to the dots anyway. It may be hard to tell the difference of the extra wiper deicer.

Freezing drizzles at -8°C last few days. Lots of work for wipers, I'll keep all 3 defrosters/deicer on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Don’t know about dots but my understanding is the defroster will melt lower and left side of windshield, no wires in the middle of windshield and none affect line of sight. Have not had the opportunity to test it yet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I found pictures on the web showing the deicer on the back for Fold. The windshield has a large dark bottom portion to host/hide the deicer. The dots are just the edge of the dark. The deicer has two pads located at where the 2 wipers rest on idle. Normally wipers would be out of sight on idle when driving inside. Hence the deicer should be invisible to the driver too from inside. Some version may be visible from the front. I can't see through mine to check if there is a deicer behind.

After several days with freezing drizzles at subzeros, ice blocks in wiper well suddenly broke loose during driving. Then they were trapped under the wiper arms making a lot of noise and poor wiping. Wiper deicer, assuming I really have one + blower on full weren't able to melt the loose ice blocks off. I had to picked them out manually one by one after arriving home.

Wiper deicer alone would definitely not be powerful enough to keep the lower windshield clear when ice is accumulating inside the wiper well. I am still no sure my wiper deicer does anything as I normally set the temperature and fan speed high on the blower to heat up the windshield fast on a cold windshield. Then turn them down when the windshield is warm and clear. I seldom use the wiper deicer alone without the blower. I'll say the wiper deicer works in a milder situation when it is difficult to tell whether I really have a working one... :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts