Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me a link to instructions on where the heater core is and how to get to it?

I seem to have mold issues in the car. Noticed when using vents(no just AC) anytime the fan is on. I pulled the heater core(common mold source) and it is clean. Now I Am wanting to take a look at the heater core, but don't know where it is and having trouble finding a video on it.

Any help / guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
have you checked to see that the drain at the bottom is clear? It may be holding condensate when the AC is running and causing your mold growth. The heater core is located to the left of where the cabin filter and fan are located up under the passenger side of the dash board. Heater core is in front and AC evaporator core is located behind. It looks like the bulk of the assembly is behind your center stack. I've attached a picture for reference

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
Can someone give me a link to instructions on where the heater core is and how to get to it?

I seem to have mold issues in the car. Noticed when using vents(no just AC) anytime the fan is on. I pulled the heater core(common mold source) and it is clean. Now I Am wanting to take a look at the heater core, but don't know where it is and having trouble finding a video on it.

Thanks!
I do not have the information on how to remove the heater core, I do know in many vehicles it is a very involved task located behind the dash.

Nissan Frontiers and Xterras would suffer from this - the way we solved it might offer a quicker and simple solution for you.

Check the cabin air filter - replace it even if clean it is probably part of the problem. Raise the hood and locate the cowling vents which pull in fresh air and spray with a product such as "clean air" (available on Amazon). I am sure they have specific instructions, just follow those. We would run HVAC on fresh air and fan speed on max, windows down in the vehicle and blast through those fresh air vents by the hood and it took care of it.

Would typically remove the odor from my frontier for 9-12 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you checked to see that the drain at the bottom is clear? It may be holding condensate when the AC is running and causing your mold growth. The heater core is located to the left of where the cabin filter and fan are located up under the passenger side of the dash board. Heater core is in front and AC evaporator core is located behind. It looks like the bulk of the assembly is behind your center stack.

You mean the drain under the evaporator core? Yes, that is clear. That's the thing too though, the evaporator core looked practically like new(no apparent mold). That's why I wanna check the heater core. Especially since I already have this area all opened up.

I was hoping that the heater core would be kinda obvious and accessible at this point. Evidently not. If it's left of the cabin fliter(which I replaced only a month ago) and in front of evaporator core then I Am pretty sure I know where it is. Inside of a bunch more plastic casing. Dang I wish there was a video or something for getting to this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the cabin air filter - replace it even if clean it is probably part of the problem. Raise the hood and locate the cowling vents which pull in fresh air and spray with a product such as "clean air" (available on Amazon). I am sure they have specific instructions, just follow those. We would run HVAC on fresh air and fan speed on max, windows down in the vehicle and blast through those fresh air vents by the hood and it took care of it.

Would typically remove the odor from my frontier for 9-12 months.
I replaced the cabin air filter about a month ago. She thought it helped at first, but now she's reacting when the vents are on again. I will probably replace the filter again just because. It's not that expensive considering that she can't drive the car with this problem.

Question. Does the air coming into the car, through the firewall and from the cowling you mention, have to go through the cabin filter before it can get into the cabin? It doesn't seem like it to me. There's this big hole just above the cabin filter that seems to go into the cabin. Maybe I can take a photo and post it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks. I was figuring when I put it back together I will be able to see how this big opening where my finger is will line up. It just seems like the back of this unit where my finger is pointing goes directly into the firewall. So there's a path from this opening to outside air. Maybe it's exhaust and not intake though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My biggest need right now is instruction on getting to the heater core so I can inspect it for mold. I really can't seem to find anything on it. :-(

·
Registered
265 Posts
My biggest need right now is instruction on getting to the heater core so I can inspect it for mold. I really can't seem to find anything on it. :-(
You really need to get a copy of the service manual. It requires you to discharge the AC and disconnect prior to pulling the core.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really need to get a copy of the service manual. It requires you to discharge the AC and disconnect prior to pulling the core.
Thanks. I found the service manual free online. Not being a mechanic or ever used these schematics before it's definitely more difficult for me to decipher. I don't need to know how to disconnect/discharge AC. I already did that to inspect the Evaporator Core. What I want is to inspect the heater core to see if it has any mold.

From looking at the service manual it's hard for me to tell if I need to remove more dash to get to the heater core unit or not. I will have to spend some time seeing if I can understand the service manual diagrams when I have a chance.

Again, if anyone is able to find youtubes or any other clear instructions on getting to the heater core on a 2007 Honda CRV it would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks. I found the service manual free online. Not being a mechanic or ever used these schematics before it's definitely more difficult for me to decipher. I don't need to know how to disconnect/discharge AC. I already did that to inspect the Evaporator Core. What I want is to inspect the heater core to see if it has any mold.

From looking at the service manual it's hard for me to tell if I need to remove more dash to get to the heater core unit or not. I will have to spend some time seeing if I can understand the service manual diagrams when I have a chance.

Again, if anyone is able to find youtubes or any other clear instructions on getting to the heater core on a 2007 Honda CRV it would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! :)
Have you tried something like this
to remove the odor before pulling the dash apart?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the problem with those products is they don’t get the mold spores out, which next to nothing can actually kill. The issue has returned and I’d like to find the actual source.

Having inspected the evaporator core and it looked clean(I treated it anyways), I’d now like to inspect the heater core. My wife is out of town and I Am taking advantage of being able to have the vehicle down for a while. Since it’s already opened up so far I might as well keep digging. Today I should have more time and will see if i can figure it out using the service manual. Oh boy, this will be a new one for me....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very sensitive to mold.
The problem is that once mold is inside the cabin, it leaves spores everywhere. I would wash down and vacuum the cabin for starters.
I use a product called “mold magnet” on the cabinet filter and the intake vents. It has no smell and works well.
I use this on all filters in my life.
To get rid of smells, I use atmosklear odor eliminator.
To remove mold you can use vinegar or non ionized salt water. Let the salt dry and vacuum. I have also used a clothes steamer.
A body shop or a detailed can usually seal up your car and ozone it for you and that also kills mold.
The car needs to be dry and the ozone generator needs to be outside the car.
There are probably YouTubes on this if you want to rent one and try it yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
try this

Yes! You found it. How to remove the heater core. Holy [email protected]*t! Looks like the whole dash, steering column has to come out. I Am gonna clean the car, deodorize and use Ozone(actually have an ozone generator) and pray that does it.

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
Yes! You found it. How to remove the heater core. Holy [email protected]*t! Looks like the whole dash, steering column has to come out. I Am gonna clean the car, deodorize and use Ozone(actually have an ozone generator) and pray that does it.
Sadly this is why you find older vehicles with the heater cores bypassed - just too expensive to repair when leaking.

Hopefully those sprays can fix you up!

·
Registered
205 Posts

Thanks!
Frankly, I don't believe the heater core is the source of any odor-causing mold. The core is much too hot for mold to survive. More commonly is the A/C evaporator core for 2 reasons; not only is it cooler but when you park the vehicle after running the A/C, there is a lot of condensation/moisture present on the surface of the evaporator core, where mold and such can grow on it over the days it's parked so over time, it can develop a musty odor. It's much easier to check the evaporator core as it can be removed without removal of the entire dash assembly (which usually requires removal of the steering column, hence labor times of about 7 hours to do the heater core replacement). The evaporator core only takes a couple of hours as you would discharge the system, remove the refrigerant lines and tubing where it goes into the evaporator case, then remove the screws holding the plastic cover over the case, then the core merely slides out. Most other companies require removal of the dash for both heater and evaporator core; Honda was wise enough to design it so the evap core can be removed easily.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
48 Posts
I live in a humid area of the southeast and found that to minimize or prevent odors when running the A/C, I shut off the A/C and flush it out until the air is ambient (like the air outside the car) before turning off the engine. That seems to work. I also don't run the recirculate mode at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts