Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Honda cr-v and have just completed 10k miles since the first service. Total mileage is now 15k. Since the first service the oil warning light has come on twice. Having checked the oil I confirmed that the level was indeed low. The first time I put in 1 litre and the 2nd time 1/2 litre since the car is being serviced next week.

However, I've become used to not having to worry about oil levels between services and its probably 20 years plus that I've even had to buy oil. My Honda Civic hasn't required a top up.

So my question is whether it's usual for the Crv to burn through approx 2 litres of oil over. 10k miles? It's this cause for concern and should I raise it with Honda?

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
No. Never topped up any of my current or previous Hondas between changes.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,985 Posts
OIl will increase on these 1.5L Turbo and get real liquid like thin for sure, you can make sure there are no leaks like a loose or damaged part the Pan is covering it so you may not see it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're not getting enough gas in your oil. Talk to the dealer ?

Reactions: imwato

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What engine do you have? In any case, I'm pretty sure most manufacturers (Honda included) would not consider 2L over 10k mi to be a warrantable defect.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There is no engine that will not use oil in that time frame. If your not adding between changes at change intervals that high your letting your engine run low. Should never be relying on a light to check your oil.

Basically 2 quarts in 10k miles is nothing. No engine on the road will stay perfectly full over that amount of mileage. All engines consume some oil, it's impossible not to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow, our old 2004 CR-V with 210,000 miles doesn't use more than 1/2 quart between oil changes, some might say it not a warranty issue but I've never owned a Honda that used as much oil as the OP's 2017 is using between changes. Keep an eye on your level, maybe it was just low to begin with, one oil change interval is not enough to give you the whole story.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is no engine that will not use oil in that time frame. If your not adding between changes at change intervals that high your letting your engine run low. Should never be relying on a light to check your oil.

Basically 2 quarts in 10k miles is nothing. No engine on the road will stay perfectly full over that amount of mileage. All engines consume some oil, it's impossible not to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Huh? Is this the 1950's? No brand new vehicle should burn or leak this much oil between oil change intervals. There is definitely something wrong. If it were my almost brand new CR-V and the oil pressure light lit up I would immediately shut off the engine and call Honda's Roadside Assistance number that's located on a sticker on my door window. I would ask them to bring me and the car to the nearest Honda dealership, and then I would ask for a free loaner vehicle to use while they figure this out.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,767 Posts
One thing I have said and others have said in the past, its incredibly important to actually check the oil level post service. Don't assume that dealers fill to the full mark. Many don't. That saves them a quart of oil every change and then they charge you the full amount. Pure profit.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Don't assume that dealers fill to the full mark. Many don't. That saves them a quart of oil every change and then they charge you the full amount. Pure profit.
Right. At one point I noticed being charged for 5L on the invoice. So I went back and asked where's the missing half a liter I had paid for. They tried to wiggle out of it but none of their BS stuck so they brought me the missing part and did so ever since.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Huh? Is this the 1950's? No brand new vehicle should burn or leak this much oil between oil change intervals. There is definitely something wrong. If it were my almost brand new CR-V and the oil pressure light lit up I would immediately shut off the engine and call Honda's Roadside Assistance number that's located on a sticker on my door window. I would ask them to bring me and the car to the nearest Honda dealership, and then I would ask for a free loaner vehicle to use while they figure this out.
Don't ever buy a BMW then.

They consider using one quart of oil in a thousand miles to be normal and acceptable.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
As said above, there are several brands that consider his usage normal and will not warranty anything until it exceeds their limits. I have seen it from GM, BMW, Subaru and I'm sure several others do it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don't ever buy a BMW then.

They consider using one quart of oil in a thousand miles to be normal and acceptable.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
As said above, there are several brands that consider his usage normal and will not warranty anything until it exceeds their limits. I have seen it from GM, BMW, Subaru and I'm sure several others do it.
We're only talking about a total oil capacity of about 3-1/2 quarts or liters here (assuming we're talking about the 1.5L).

If the engine held 7 quarts/liters, (like some BMWs or other makes do) being down by 2 might not be as big of a deal.

Either way, no matter what brand of vehicle you have, if the low oil pressure light comes on I believe a tow and loner vehicle that's covered under warranty would be justified.

At least I would hope so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The engine is 2.0 litre. I'm assuming that the oil level was topped up at my last service. Nevertheless having topped it up myself by asking an extra litre the oil light came on again after about 4k miles.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The 2.0 has no known oil burning issue (unlike the new 1.5T disaster).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Obviously I was talking about the 2.0 in general, not the particular unit Andrew has. Easy with the verbal diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The engine is 2.0 litre. I'm assuming that the oil level was topped up at my last service. Nevertheless having topped it up myself by asking an extra litre the oil light came on again after about 4k miles.

Well, while you pursue this with Honda (I consider it doubtful they will consider it a warrantable level of oil usage), you need to check your oil more often. The oil light illuminating (assuming your engine only has a pressure light and not a level sensor) doesn't mean that the oil is a hair off; it means that your bearings are not receiving anywhere near the oil they should right that second; it's a critical problem. (This is unlike, say, a tire pressure light, where you usually still have a bit of time to fix things before you destroy the tire.)

If your engine grenades because you ran it low on oil, that is almost never covered by warranty.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,767 Posts
Hey guys, just a friendly nudge to be nice to each other.

Reactions: Carbuff2
1 - 20 of 57 Posts