Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'd like to say thank you for all the help over the years.

Ok, so I've got a 2000 5-speed Crv with 450,000kms on it. I love the thing to death and I take great care of it. I was coming back from the coast when I first felt the shuddering. Fast forward two weeks and its much worse now. Much like the other threads I've found on here, its shudders heavily when accelerating or going uphill when the load is heavy. If I maintain a speed or coast in neutral, it goes away. I can feel it coming from the front passengers side, feels like its underneath the glove box. I've got a solid gut-feeling that its not a wheel bearing. My first action was to replace the CV Axle since the boot was ripped, no dice. After that, the outer tie rod end, because it was worn...no dice! I rotated my tires to rule out off-balance wheels or a bent wheel...nope. I checked the U-joints of the driveshaft and can find no play whatsoever. Unless one of you suggest otherwise, my next action is to replace the lower ball joint since it had some play in it. BTW this is all on the front passengers side still. Also note: I don't think i feel any noticeable changes when turning.
So I've got two questions at the moment-
1. Can a worn part (Cv joint, tie rod, ball joint etc.) on the drivers side, cause such an aggressive shuddering on the left side?
2. Can a worn lower ball joint cause this?

Thank-you so much

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If your ball joints are loose I would definitely fix that soon. I had mine break on me. I had a squeak for a couple weeks that I couldn't track down until it seized and snapped. Luckily I was pulling up to a stop light when it happened and it only cost me a CV axle, trans fluid and a tow. Stay away from the AutoZone Duralast ones. I went through 2 on one side and 3 on the other, they were all creaky in 6 months or less. I have Moog in there now and they have been good for a while.

Another thing to check is the sub frame where the back edge of the lower control arm attaches. The A/C drain is right above that and the water just drips down onto the sub frame and rots it out at the cradle for the large bushing. Ignore the rubber hose that sticks out right behind there. I thought that was my drain, but found out the hard way after my sub frame rotted that it is connected to the EVAP system.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you can get the 555 brand from autozone they are pretty decent. 555 make oem stuff for Toyota.

Best way is to jack up the car and rock the tires side to side and up and down to look for play.

Hopefully it is not the subframe. I bought a spare subframe for my crv since I could get the stupid lower control arms off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts