Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s 2016 with 35k miles uses a qt. Of oil every 2500 mi. Or so. Mostly driven 15 miles on 2 lane road with heavy traffic and many lights. Her 2013 went 7500 miles between changes using 0 zero. I know 2500 is ‘acceptable ‘. My question is: Would running a 10w30 help and ok to use? 0w20 seems awfully lightweight to me(I use 0w40 in our other cars.TIA.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
Only use oil of a weight specified in the owner's manual. A thicker oil might leak less, but if you put in an oil that is too thick, your variable valve timing system and hydraulic valve lifters will stop working. Also a thicker oil will not lubricate all of the parts of the engine with the same oil pressure as the thinner oil because it won't fit into the tighter clearances designed for the thinner oil.

I would use the thickest oil viscosity recommended in your owner's manual, and no thicker.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You might want to try another oil brand of the same weight first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only use oil of a weight specified in the owner's manual. A thicker oil might leak less, but if you put in an oil that is too thick, your variable valve timing system and hydraulic valve lifters will stop working. Also a thicker oil will not lubricate all of the parts of the engine with the same oil pressure as the thinner oil because it won't fit into the tighter clearances designed for the thinner oil.

I would use the thickest oil viscosity recommended in your owner's manual, and no thicker.
Thanks. Good advice.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
That rate of oil consumption would not be acceptable to me, unless the car has 200k+ miles on it. I don't believe I'd keep a car with that problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts