Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Nice forum here with lots of information. nice job! I have a 2003 Honda CR-V. Last year, the aftermarket stereo system was stolen. Along with the stereo, I had got crossovers and tweeters installed by the audio shop. The thieves left the tweeters in place.

My question, I'm managing pretty well with the stock cd/radio. How can I connect the tweeters to the factory radio? The radio has a bunch of connections listed but they are all greek and latin to me. Each tweeter has two wires hanging. What pins/connectors can I use to connect the tweeters?

Any help/advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Sam

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
IF the tweeters already have resistors and cpacitors hooked up, they can be connected to the same leads the front door speakers are connected to. If they are factory, the leads will already be connected as such.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. No, they are not factory tweeters. They are aftermarket. So, you're saying I can connect the tweeters in parallel to the door speakers? That seems simple enough! I plan to replace the door speakers anyways. I'll give that a shot!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
On the 2003, the WHite and Grey along with their White/Black, Gray/Black counterparts are the front channel, and usually the aftermarket tweeters will only have regular colored speaker leads on them if they were insalled incorrectly. You have any pictures?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Might be good to change the thread title as it could be helpful later on (moderator?). Otherwise, there's no point in clicking the thread other than for curiosity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would be careful though. If they don't have the xovers built in, they will be getting highs and lows, also connecting them in parallel will decrease the impedance and possibly mess up your factory head unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I suggest going back to the audio shop who installed them to see if they can look at for you. If anything, they'll be able to at least tell you the correct and safest way to get your tweeters running again. They may even do it for free since they originally installed them.

You never know...maybe the thieves damaged some wiring when they were "strategically re-locating" your aftermarket stereo and crossovers.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
I would be careful though. If they don't have the xovers built in, they will be getting highs and lows, also connecting them in parallel will decrease the impedance and possibly mess up your factory head unit.
If hooked up positive to positive, and neg to neg, you'll be fine! You just need to put a resister, or 'speaker saver" in line to make sure that the tweeters only get the "highs" to act as tweeters, and not try to make them full on speakers playing the full range of sound. No biggie.

Alpine sells a nice set of type-s speakers with seprerates, that dont have the crossover box, but a nice resistor already. They would def be better quality than any aftermarket tweeter i've seen by themselves....and you dont have the labor of putting in the cross over, or finding a spot to fit it!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
If hooked up positive to positive, and neg to neg, you'll be fine! You just need to put a resister, or 'speaker saver" in line to make sure that the tweeters only get the "highs" to act as tweeters, and not try to make them full on speakers playing the full range of sound. No biggie.

Alpine sells a nice set of type-s speakers with seprerates, that dont have the crossover box, but a nice resistor already. They would def be better quality than any aftermarket tweeter i've seen by themselves....and you dont have the labor of putting in the cross over, or finding a spot to fit it!
I think Best buy is also selling those "speaker savers" individually now, I've been meaning to give them a try.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
the headunit cant differentiate with tapped in speakers. (tweeters) So the savers actually are resister, and with choosing the right one, you choose the frequency that that speaker gets, and doesnt get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts