Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New site user here, found it when googling yet another issue with my 2017 CR-V EX-L AWD. I was a long-time Honda fan, but not so much anymore. Just experienced the latest recall issue, could not put it in park at all, shifter knob would not push in. At the advice of my son, I put it in neutral and used the parking brake. Called the dealership, took it in, had to leave it overnight and they didn't even approve a loaner. From the beginning, even the purchase (new) was a terrible experience two years ago. I've since had to replace the battery after 24 months of owning, and every time I take it in for routine maintenance, I get a list of things that need "immediate" attention, even though I have not hit the recommended mileage Honda suggests for a service to be performed. I'm sorry, but if I need a fuel induction 3 part BG service kit at 27,000 miles, something is wrong and they need to fix it while it is still under warranty. And of course the transmission AND brake fluids were in need of "immediate" attention as well.
Rant over. Thanks, this site has some really helpful information.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The recalls can be blamed on American Honda Motor Corp if you're in the US.

The maintenance/service issues with them telling you need lots of things to be done every time you take it in is a Honda Dealership issue, and has nothing to do with Honda the manufacturer.
Your dealership is pushing unneeded services on you because that's the way they make money.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,897 Posts
New site user here, found it when googling yet another issue with my 2017 CR-V EX-L AWD. I was a long-time Honda fan, but not so much anymore. Just experienced the latest recall issue, could not put it in park at all, shifter knob would not push in. At the advice of my son, I put it in neutral and used the parking brake. Called the dealership, took it in, had to leave it overnight and they didn't even approve a loaner. From the beginning, even the purchase (new) was a terrible experience two years ago. I've since had to replace the battery after 24 months of owning, and every time I take it in for routine maintenance, I get a list of things that need "immediate" attention, even though I have not hit the recommended mileage Honda suggests for a service to be performed. I'm sorry, but if I need a fuel induction 3 part BG service kit at 27,000 miles, something is wrong and they need to fix it while it is still under warranty. And of course the transmission AND brake fluids were in need of "immediate" attention as well.
Rant over. Thanks, this site has some really helpful information.
The shifter button breaking is a known issue and has now been addressed by Honda with a new button design and a TSB. The TSB instructs Dealers to replace the button under warranty whenever a CRV comes in for regular service, though I suggest owners remind the dealer of this fact... OR when a broken button is brought in for service. And despite what some dealers claimed early on.. this IS a warranty covered failure.

By the way.. you can still operate the shifter if you simply push the broken button back into the shift lever. You can even just gently push a finger into the empty button hole and shift as well. All the button does is push the safety interlock rod in the shifter in to allow the changing of gear position. I know it's a hassle when the shifter button suddenly breaks (mine did about 20 months ago).. but it's not a giant tragedy. I simply picked my button up off the floor and gently pushed it back and and put a piece of tape over it to keep it from popping out again before I got to the dealer to have it replaced.

Bad battery at 2 years.. yeah.. it happens. And it is covered under warranty too. Batteries are in my view the least reliable component in a vehicle.

As for all the "suggested" maintenance by the dealer... my suggestion is to simply follow the maintenance minder codes as they come up... for virtually all required service for your CRV. That is what they are there for. I have had dealers occasionally suggest more then the MM codes suggest, but I always decline and they never press it beyond that. In my view, if you don't do your own maintenace, then be an informed owner and take time to review the features and codes of the Maintenance Minder that is built into your car. Other then random defects, which should be covered under warranty, the MM does notify every required maintenance for the vehicle, on the interval required by Honda.

You are not going to get a loaner vehicle for something that typically takes less then one hour to service. I believe Honda policy is warranty repairs that require more then 4 hours are eligible for a loaner. Most owners report being in and out within an hour for the button replacement.

All these modern vehicles, regardless of brand, have higher defect rates then they did a decade ago, mostly because of the large number of sophisticated systems in them these days. You can check defect rates from sites that track them online and you will find EVERY vehicle is predicted to have at least one failure during warranty, and some are quite a bit worse. Hondas.... 1.5 failures average during the warranty period.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
I think your dealership's behavior should come in for criticism. Thinking you (and others) are there just to increase sales of services of dubious value. Honda engineers are more qualified than dealer service representatives when it comes to their products.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The recalls can be blamed on American Honda Motor Corp if you're in the US.

The maintenance/service issues with them telling you need lots of things to be done every time you take it in is a Honda Dealership issue, and has nothing to do with Honda the manufacturer.
Your dealership is pushing unneeded services on you because that's the way they make money.
I am now wondering, has something changed with American Honda Motor Corp in the US? My issues have been mechanical/parts, not the new electronics or software systems.

I agree with your statement about the dealerships. I believe some are worse than others, and I cringe every time I have to take my CR-V in for anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shifter button breaking is a known issue and has now been addressed by Honda with a new button design and a TSB. The TSB instructs Dealers to replace the button under warranty whenever a CRV comes in for regular service, though I suggest owners remind the dealer of this fact... OR when a broken button is brought in for service. And despite what some dealers claimed early on.. this IS a warranty covered failure.

By the way.. you can still operate the shifter if you simply push the broken button back into the shift lever. You can even just gently push a finger into the empty button hole and shift as well. All the button does is push the safety interlock rod in the shifter in to allow the changing of gear position. I know it's a hassle when the shifter button suddenly breaks (mine did about 20 months ago).. but it's not a giant tragedy. I simply picked my button up off the floor and gently pushed it back and and put a piece of tape over it to keep it from popping out again before I got to the dealer to have it replaced.

Bad battery at 2 years.. yeah.. it happens. And it is covered under warranty too. Batteries are in my view the least reliable component in a vehicle.

As for all the "suggested" maintenance by the dealer... my suggestion is to simply follow the maintenance minder codes as they come up... for virtually all required service for your CRV. That is what they are there for. I have had dealers occasionally suggest more then the MM codes suggest, but I always decline and they never press it beyond that. In my view, if you don't do your own maintenace, then be an informed owner and take time to review the features and codes of the Maintenance Minder that is built into your car. Other then random defects, which should be covered under warranty, the MM does notify every required maintenance for the vehicle, on the interval required by Honda.

You are not going to get a loaner vehicle for something that typically takes less then one hour to service. I believe Honda policy is warranty repairs that require more then 4 hours are eligible for a loaner. Most owners report being in and out within an hour for the button replacement.

All these modern vehicles, regardless of brand, have higher defect rates then they did a decade ago, mostly because of the large number of sophisticated systems in them these days. You can check defect rates from sites that track them online and you will find EVERY vehicle is predicted to have at least one failure during warranty, and some are quite a bit worse. Hondas.... 1.5 failures average during the warranty period.

Williamsji the button popped off and flew somewhere, as I was driving. Never did find it. I did eventually figure out how to use my finger to push the lever enough to shift thank goodness.
I don't know why the service advisor wanted me to leave it overnight. It was a terrible inconvenience as I had just arrived back in town, had to pick up my dog from the kennel before they closed, and had no groceries at home. Not offering a loaner in this case was just poor customer service. The advisor said they don't offer loaners if the repair is finished within 24 hours.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Life’s no beach, is it.

Reactions: TMor68

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Williamsji the button popped off and flew somewhere, as I was driving. Never did find it. I did eventually figure out how to use my finger to push the lever enough to shift thank goodness.
I don't know why the service advisor wanted me to leave it overnight. It was a terrible inconvenience as I had just arrived back in town, had to pick up my dog from the kennel before they closed, and had no groceries at home. Not offering a loaner in this case was just poor customer service. The advisor said they don't offer loaners if the repair is finished within 24 hours.
I would advise that you never go back to the dealership for anything other than a recall or warranty issue. Find yourself a good, honest local mechanic and stick with him instead, for all other issues. On the overnight thing, just have them schedule you an appointment and drive away, then go back at the scheduled time and wait on the car. Batteries these days frequently do not live more than two years. Also, never authorize work other than what you are there for. Your dealership's service writer is not a mechanic, he is a salesman, and his sales provide more income from the dealership than new car sales, on average. It's his primary function to hit your wallet as hard as he can. Know that going in. He wants a thousand dollars of your money if he can get it, and will lie to get it. He is paid on commission, just like the car salesmen. He conned you into leaving the car overnight, at no cost to him, so he could tell you they "found" other serious issues that need immediate attention. 99% of that will always be a complete fabrication. Liars gonna lie. If you search this forum, you will find many instances of this very thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would advise that you never go back to the dealership for anything other than a recall or warranty issue. Find yourself a good, honest local mechanic and stick with him instead, for all other issues. On the overnight thing, just have them schedule you an appointment and drive away, then go back at the scheduled time and wait on the car. Batteries these days frequently do not live more than two years. Also, never authorize work other than what you are there for. Your dealership's service writer is not a mechanic, he is a salesman, and his sales provide more income from the dealership than new car sales, on average. It's his primary function to hit your wallet as hard as he can. Know that going in. He wants a thousand dollars of your money if he can get it, and will lie to get it. He is paid on commission, just like the car salesmen. He conned you into leaving the car overnight, at no cost to him, so he could tell you they "found" other serious issues that need immediate attention. 99% of that will always be a complete fabrication. Liars gonna lie. If you search this forum, you will find many instances of this very thing.
Larry, I wish I knew a good, honest local mechanic. Thank you for the suggestions, all great. I have looked around this site a little, and read somewhere that some parts are only available through dealership. Not that I'd know what to do with any if I ordered them myself anyway.
Thanks again. Tammy

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Tammy, There are several online parts sources. I use HondaPartsNow.com. They are a Honda Dealer that ships parts nationwide, and usually have better prices than local dealers, which like to overcharge. They also carry accessories and maintenance items like oil and filters. I have several boxes of stuff to install on mine, but it's 104 degrees outside every day right now, and our Spring got completely rained out, so I hope to get all that done in the fall.

Is your shift button fixed? With the Gen5 you are likely to have other recalls and/or TSB (tech service bulletins -for issues they will fix but charge for), You can keep track of those here, too. Next time you have to go see the dealer about such an issue, you will immediately recognize the guy's sales act clearly. Call first to set an appointment if possible. Just politely tell him hey, don't inspect for other things or try to sell me anything, just fix this and only this.

If you were in Austin, I'd hook you up on that mechanic. They are hard to find, but they are out there. Ask around. You are bound to know someone who will know, though some people want to keep the secret. I found mine through a friend. Best of luck with your CR-V. While they may be more prone these days to issues, they are still better than most all other makes. Feel free to message me any time with any questions, I am always glad to help when I can, and since I'm retired I have the time.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
crv383 periodically, it is haha...a sweaty, hot, humid, stale, coliform infested water beach.
Here we are having the blue-green algae in lakes and rivers, which kills dogs that swim in it. I shudder to think what it does to people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tammy, There are several online parts sources. I use HondaPartsNow.com. They are a Honda Dealer that ships parts nationwide, and usually have better prices than local dealers, which like to overcharge. They also carry accessories and maintenance items like oil and filters. I have several boxes of stuff to install on mine, but it's 104 degrees outside every day right now, and our Spring got completely rained out, so I hope to get all that done in the fall.

Is your shift button fixed? With the Gen5 you are likely to have other recalls and/or TSB (tech service bulletins -for issues they will fix but charge for), You can keep track of those here, too. Next time you have to go see the dealer about such an issue, you will immediately recognize the guy's sales act clearly. Call first to set an appointment if possible. Just politely tell him hey, don't inspect for other things or try to sell me anything, just fix this and only this.

If you were in Austin, I'd hook you up on that mechanic. They are hard to find, but they are out there. Ask around. You are bound to know someone who will know, though some people want to keep the secret. I found mine through a friend. Best of luck with your CR-V. While they may be more prone these days to issues, they are still better than most all other makes. Feel free to message me any time with any questions, I am always glad to help when I can, and since I'm retired I have the time.
Larry, you are absolutely right. I did receive a campaign / service bulletin which states I may have driveability issues resulting in DTC's p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0304, p0172. Also stated was an extension of the powetrain warranty to 6 years with unlimited mileage from original sale date, and includes ECU and TCM software updates should they be needed for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Wow. Did American Honda Motor get rid of their entire QA department prior to the manufacturing of the 17-18 models?
Yes, the button is fixed.
3 years ago I moved a couple hours away from Savannah, GA where I had a really good mechanic/ shop that I used. They allowed people to bring their own parts to give them for the repairs, and I felt they were just good, honest people. I even had my daughter's older car towed all the way back to them for repairs because well, trust issues I guess ?. When dealership service and sales people behave in ways that make you not trust them, it should be expected they will lose business.
Thanks again, I look forward to reading more on this site when I get the chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here we are having the blue-green algae in lakes and rivers, which kills dogs that swim in it. I shudder to think what it does to people.
I've read that stuff is here locally as well. Animals are getting sick ?

·
Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
619 Posts
Larry, I wish I knew a good, honest local mechanic. Thank you for the suggestions, all great. I have looked around this site a little, and read somewhere that some parts are only available through dealership. Not that I'd know what to do with any if I ordered them myself anyway.
Thanks again. Tammy
Tammy, I lost my trustworthy mechanic because of a rent increase so he had to shut his garage down. And I have now been on the hunt for a new one. Do you by any chance have a neighborhood online site such as Nextdoor where neighbors can give recommendations? Or you could just google mechanics or garages near you and read the reviews. A good mechanic is your vehicle's best friend. Btw, I had to leave my CRV at the dealership for an actuator to be replaced. My car was there less than 24 hours and I was given a loan car. Next time that you have to deal with that dealership please speak to the service manager and insist on a loaner car. That dealership did not do the right thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Epona, I used to have Nextdoor when I lived in Savannah, but sadly, not where I am now. I tried the Facebook recommendations platform for my local friends/ coworkers, to no avail.
Next time I am actually thinking of going to a different Honda dealership service dept...not sure how that works but I dislike my dealership so much I’m willing to drive 20 miles down the interstate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts