Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

James here, owner of a 2005 CRV, sunroof and leather seats so think it's an EX-L...?

Local mechanic told me I need new calipers, rotors and pads...and of course the quote came in sky high so I've been doing the work myself instead.

1. If the car drives well, still seems to have meat on rotor & pad. And stops from speed without vibration in steering, what's the chance the mechanic is trying to take me for a ride or being hugely overcautious?

2. I've found that I cannot get the rotor off, the retaining screws I've removed without too much difficulty. It seems like there's a ring/tube (apologies if not using the proper terms) inside the rotor that seems to have slightly mushroomed and is holding the rotor on. Am I missing a step or do I just have to hire a brake puller and use some brawn?

P.S. - I'd send pictures but the can't get the uploader to work.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,813 Posts
Welcome James :Group:

You need more posts to load pics.
Yeah, you have an EX-L.

I think the mechanic is trying to sell you un-needed service.

INSTEAD:

If you go for a sedate drive then feel the center of each wheel, does one side or the other seem notably hotter? This indicates a sticking caliper.

If your pads are OK (they incorporate a 'screech' tab when pad thickness gets below 1 mm) and you don't feel any vibration, you are not in urgent need of brakes, and your rotors are probably fine. If you pull a wheel and see that you have 2mm or less, start shopping sales for new pads. I find that OEM pads are as cost-effective as good-quality aftermarket ones.

You MIGHT want to clean and lubricate the caliper slider pins and check that the pads are 'falling out loose' and not binding. That's what we call 'brake service' and it is recommended to be done yearly (especially in the rear).

Your rotors are probably stuck on the hubs due to rust right at the hub center. Clean it with a wire brush, then spray a penetrating oil on it (Kroil or PB Blaster are superior to WD40). A few gentle taps with a hammer (to the rotor 'hat') will assist the penetrant in releasing the rotor.

There are loads of YouTube videos on Gen2 CR-V brake replacement. Elements use the same hardware so those videos are good as well.

Post back if you have questions (after doing your research).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had advice from the Honda dealer for the last two years- suggest you get new rotors and pads.

I am still on the same setup and the brakes are fine, I may consider changing them all next year, assuming they need it.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome, James! You have an SE. In '05, available trims were LX, EX, and SE. The SE had leather. The EX-L trim became available in '07, and is what I have. If you're a DIYer like me and like to do what you can on your own, I highly recommend you get yourself a Honda factory service manual. Mine is over 3,200 pages and has easily already paid for itself. Try eBay. I found mine in CD form for $45. The paper ones are a tad higher! On the brakes? What Atwell says above!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts