Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I'm a new owner of a 1999 CRV EX AWD. In fact, it's my first Honda. Prior to purchasing it, spent hours on this board reading past posts regarding maintenance, valve adjustments, timing belt/water pumps, lifting, racks, etc etc. Just wanted to thank all your abundant knowledge of this great little vehicle.

The Gen1 CRV really appeals to me, great little box shape, economical, and mild and tasteful customization ideas. So...

what I bought was a 99 CRV EX AWD
- 167K miles
- timing belt/water pump changed at 150K
- no accident
- valve adjusted at 165k
- everything works, including the clock!

what I did the weekend I purchased:
- I painted the bumpers and trim with Rustoleum trim spray paint
- Plasti Dip the wheels (I should have just painted it, came instead...can't out looking great)
- added an allen tire bike rack and secured it with two bike locks so no one can take it while out mtn biking

what I want to do is:
- add a roof rack basket cage (long one, almost length of the roof) currently naked roof
- lift or not lift, saw some people add 225/75/15 tires and filing down so it doesnt rub. or perhaps lift. Not decided yet. Don't think i'll ever go off roading, but it looks so cool
- add bull bar and maybe some oem fog lights on the bull bar, not decided on the fog lights yet.
- Paint the body with Black Bed liner paint (at least 6-7 coats) giving it that grainy black finish...helps make it kinda sorta "scratch proof"

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, introduce myself and say thanks for all your posts. Spent about 2 mths on this board and test driving dozens of Gen1 CRVs until I found my mightmouse (silly nick name, but so fitting in my opinion)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations that's in nice shape I like it a lot....I too just purchased my first V...2001 SE has 132k and my cousin just did the timing belt/ water pump and a valve adjustment...previous owner never changed transmission fluid was wondering if I should change it 3x fill or leave it cause the high miles

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Congratulations that's in nice shape I like it a lot....I too just purchased my first V...2001 SE has 132k and my cousin just did the timing belt/ water pump and a valve adjustment...previous owner never changed transmission fluid was wondering if I should change it 3x fill or leave it cause the high miles
I would suggest to replace the tranny fluid. If you would like replace it, you can use Valvoline MaxLife in place of the OEM tranny fluid. Without any adverse effects + its fully synthetic. Do you have a FWD or Front wheel Drive ? If you do, do not forget the Rear diff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Just washed and waxed it. I used bug spray to clean the headlight covers. Worked great and after a month still clear with no dingy yellow. In fact, hasn't lost it's clarity...yet. I'll keep you posted how long it lasts.

After a month of owning the vehicle, runs great! My everyday drive except for long travel (300 miles+ trip). Met some other great V owners on the road or parking lots and I'll tell ya, great conversations....you don't get that with Camry owners (my other car).

I do recommend spray painting the trim and bumpers with Rustoleum trim paint. I noticed many V with trim and bumper fading issues on their Gen1 Vs. Gives it a cleaner look.

The plasti dip, I'm not sure if i did it correctly, since there is some light peeling on the edges. If you like the black rims, just spray it with primer then a flat black or grey paint. I'll have to peel my wheels off and redo it with paint.....which I plan to do over the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm thinking either a flat dark grey or a flat matte black to go with the monochromatic black color scheme. Didn't decide yet.

I ordered a bull bar from amazon for $100 bucks so I'll put that on over Thanksgiving holiday. I don't want to put the fog lights on the bar yet....electronics scare me.

I'll get the larger 225/70/15 tires on them later, but when purchased the V a month ago it came with 4 new tires so I don't want to spring for new ones.

Finally I'm trying to figure out how to mount a roof safari cage rack on a bare roof. Heard some horror stories regarding cross bars that go on under the door/window claps. But I dont really want the roof rail system because it lifts the entire safari roof cage up a few inches, visually it doesn't look right. I read somewhere that you can mount it by welding the cross bars onto the roof. Doing some research on that. Anyone have any suggestions? Please advise.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It is a AWD I just heard that possible myth that if the tranny fluid was never changed don't do it...it has 132k miles
Key word..... "Myth".

Go ahead, don't change it. Also don't do any maintenance items. Just a waste of time and money. When it finally quits running, sooner rather than later, just drive it behind the house and use it as an extra room. That will impress your family, your friends (the two of them), and neighbors! : )

·
Registered
3 Posts
@mightymouse. Happy I stumbled on your thread. Just bought a 1999 manual transmission (55K miles) crv and you were an inspiration I will follow.

Incidentally is 1999 a 1st generation or 1.5 Generation; always thought 1.5 G

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a Yakima basket on mine - covers the entire roof when you install the extension they offer. I mounted two mounting strips that run pretty much the entire length of the roof and the basket mounts on short struts that clip to those strips. Check out the Yakima web site for ideas. I would never lift or lower a vehicle - screws up the geometry of the suspension and causes all kinds of problems down the road. JMO Like what you have done with yours - the monochromatic paint job looks great!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would never lift or lower a vehicle - screws up the geometry of the suspension and causes all kinds of problems down the road.
Terrible info. Done properly, it can improve suspension. What do you think happens to the overall geometry with tired springs and worn bushings?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts